The Student Room Group

Cambridge college threatens to evict students if a Covid-19 outbreak occurs

"Trinity College Cambridge has been accused of taking punitive measures after telling students they could be abruptly removed from their accommodation in the event of a coronavirus outbreak.

Trinity College, which has reported assets of £1.5bn, has told students living in the college’s halls of residence to sign a new contract that warns they will be “required to move, without help from college, to alternative college accommodation, or out of college, at very short notice”.

“If college accommodation is withdrawn from you, you must return home or find alternative accommodation elsewhere, at your own cost. The college will provide temporary alternative safe accommodation at another location only if there is a truly exceptional reason as to why you cannot obtain alternative accommodation,” the agreement states.

College porters would “secure repossession” of rooms if students refuse to comply."

Read the full article here - https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/sep/16/cambridge-college-threatens-to-evict-students-if-a-covid-19-outbreak-occurs

Scroll to see replies

That’s very draconian.

It seems like: eww you have the lurgees, don’t touch me.”
Original post by Lightning720
"Trinity College Cambridge has been accused of taking punitive measures after telling students they could be abruptly removed from their accommodation in the event of a coronavirus outbreak.

Trinity College, which has reported assets of £1.5bn, has told students living in the college’s halls of residence to sign a new contract that warns they will be “required to move, without help from college, to alternative college accommodation, or out of college, at very short notice”.

“If college accommodation is withdrawn from you, you must return home or find alternative accommodation elsewhere, at your own cost. The college will provide temporary alternative safe accommodation at another location only if there is a truly exceptional reason as to why you cannot obtain alternative accommodation,” the agreement states.

College porters would “secure repossession” of rooms if students refuse to comply."

Read the full article here - https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/sep/16/cambridge-college-threatens-to-evict-students-if-a-covid-19-outbreak-occurs

Why do you care? Its not your uni.
Do you expect students to stay in situ?
Their accommodation is merely a licence to use it and not a tenancy.
Its their property and not the students.
They are just making things clear, but expect them to avoid the situation if they can.
You can already be removed if you dont comply with your licence so nothing new there.
Original post by 999tigger
Why do you care? Its not your uni.

I am allowed to post things about unis I don't go to.

Yes, but other people are also allowed to be annoyed/frustrated by you trying to make something out of nothing - you clearly don't understand the situation. This is the case for every single student in any college or hall of residence, it's in the nature of the relationship they hold with the university/college. All Trinity is doing is describing that clearly, so students can understand the situation before they commit to College accommodation. It should also be noted that Colleges do not charge students if the rules require them to leave the university, whereas private landlords are generally pursuing rents, because private renting operates on different terms.

A more objective comment on this report would be that Trinity explains very clearly that students cannot remain in College accommodation as an alternative to any other home they retain access to. Also, that in the event of Covid isolation rules requiring it, they may be required to move rooms. Both of these options may occur at very short notice. Which isn't actually news, The Guardian must be on a slow news day and still fluffing their Tab contact.

TBH anyone who's got their head screwed on and understands communal living could work this all out for themselves.

You are trying to make something out of nothing.
What does St Andrews say about if they have a major outbreak in their halls?
What happens if students refuse to move?
Original post by threeportdrift
Yes, but other people are also allowed to be annoyed/frustrated by you trying to make something out of nothing - you clearly don't understand the situation. This is the case for every single student in any college or hall of residence, it's in the nature of the relationship they hold with the university/college. All Trinity is doing is describing that clearly, so students can understand the situation before they commit to College accommodation. It should also be noted that Colleges do not charge students if the rules require them to leave the university, whereas private landlords are generally pursuing rents, because private renting operates on different terms.

A more objective comment on this report would be that Trinity explains very clearly that students cannot remain in College accommodation as an alternative to any other home they retain access to. Also, that in the event of Covid isolation rules requiring it, they may be required to move rooms. Both of these options may occur at very short notice. Which isn't actually news, The Guardian must be on a slow news day and still fluffing their Tab contact.

TBH anyone who's got their head screwed on and understands communal living could work this all out for themselves.

If you dont care about the post, don't comment.
If you dont care about the post, don't comment.

But I do care about the post. I care about any post that distributes mis-interpretation of reasonable information and thereby exacerbates the spread of misinformation and mis-understanding. Even more so, I object to it when it is a cheap shot aimed at perpetuating unnecessary myths and abuse of Cambridge University (and I can sometimes bring myself to join the other place in that) when you clearly haven't got a clue. You are just a part of 'fake-news' generation and need to be called out for it.
But I do care about the post. I care about any post that distributes mis-interpretation of reasonable information and thereby exacerbates the spread of misinformation and mis-understanding. Even more so, I object to it when it is a cheap shot aimed at perpetuating unnecessary myths and abuse of Cambridge University (and I can sometimes bring myself to join the other place in that) when you clearly haven't got a clue. You are just a part of 'fake-news' generation and need to be called out for it.

Isn't it compulsory for Cambridge and Oxford students to move out in first year to college accommodation? If so, they should have something in place and not just tell students to go find somewhere else to stay at short notice.

I would take a look on social media about it. It isn't "fake news", it is people calling out Trinity College.
Do you expect students to stay in situ?

That is the DfE guidance, far better than them potentially spreading it around the country.

It is important that institutions operate a ‘non-eviction’ policy, so that no student is required to leave halls if their contract is up, if their rental agreement does not cover holiday periods or if they are unable to pay their rent. This applies whether students are self-isolating or not.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-isolation-for-residential-educational-settings/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-isolation-for-residential-educational-settings#university

To be fair in this situation none of those 3 things would be the case. I'd assume that quote was more talking about students stranded at university accommodation from last year. (though might be misunderstanding something)

I dont think what is said in the OP is inconsistent with the guidance which just says to avoid making people homeless. They need ti make sure an alternative is available, so maybe you could dispute the bit of at your own cost, but that would still allow them to close down areas if they felt it was needed and move students about.. That's a decision made by the uni and the PHE’s local Health Protection Team.

I believe it refers to non infected people.

Original post by _gcx
To be fair in this situation none of those 3 things would be the case. I'd assume that quote was more talking about students stranded at university accommodation from last year. (though might be misunderstanding something)

I dont think what is said in the OP is inconsistent with the guidance which just says to avoid making people homeless. They need ti make sure an alternative is available, so maybe you could dispute the bit of at your own cost, but that would still allow them to close down areas if they felt it was needed and move students about.. That's a decision made by the uni and the PHE’s local Health Protection Team.

I believe it refers to non infected people.

The article is far from clear on what would be grounds for a short notice eviction. But that is not a good reason to have a go at the OP.
Original post by DiddyDec
The article is far from clear on what would be grounds for a short notice eviction. But that is not a good reason to have a go at the OP.

And Trinity isn't very clear either apparently https://twitter.com/TibG1312/status/1304157458219311104
Its a perfectly good reason he is always whining about things.. Care to explain why this story is particularly relevant when all unis up and down the country will have to deal with this situation and his posting was all drama. Same as all those pathetic articles suggesting unis might step in if people dont follow the rules. Shock horror.

Whining about things is not the same as posting an article.

Although, I can give you an example of whining on this thread... you.
And Trinity isn't very clear either apparently https://twitter.com/TibG1312/status/1304157458219311104

It seems to be punitive measures for if you break their Community COVID Commitment, although what that commitment is I do not know.

Its a perfectly good reason he is always whining about things.. Care to explain why this story is particularly relevant when all unis up and down the country will have to deal with this situation and his posting was all drama. Same as all those pathetic articles suggesting unis might step in if people dont follow the rules. Shock horror.

I am not interested in your personal grudges.

He posted it in the right forum and I found it interesting so I have no issues with it.
Reply 17
Original post by MajorFader
That’s very draconian.

It seems like: eww you have the lurgees, don’t touch me.”

It's not unprecedented.

The students would have the opportunity to emulate Newton's self-isolation from Cambridge in 1665 when he developed his theories of calculus and gravitation.
Original post by Seretonin
Isn't it compulsory for Cambridge and Oxford students to move out in first year to college accommodation? If so, they should have something in place and not just tell students to go find somewhere else to stay at short notice.

In non-Covid times, yes, 1st year undergrads are required to live in College (save rare exceptional circumstances). But this is a pandemic, and living arrangements and our ability to meet up is currently managed by the government and law/regulation. All Trinity have done is explained clearly what actions they will have to take in the event of a second lockdown (or similar restrictions). So rather than live in uncertainty, and not know what decisions or preparations to make if things turn worse in Cambridge, Trinity students now have a clear framework to plan with.
I thought that Cambridge had made a huge announcement saying that their students would have to learn online from a distance until at least January? So they won't be there anyway will they?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending