The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Is Open University the best option for me?

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to give me some advice. So too cut a really long story short I am 31 and looking to get a degree.

When I was 19 I studied Media and in my second year I had to drop out due to some health concerns. I mitigated second year and half way through repeating this I had the same issue and had to drop out for good.

With this I have used 3 years of SF and I am unable to get any more funding.

With OU at 3000 a year this is something that is very affordable for me and my company I work for pay close to 2000 a year for me to study outside of work so will only theoretically cost me 1000.

I keep having this thought process that it will take me 6 years to complete a part time course and ill be 37. But I am going to be 37 one day and id rather get there with a degree and maybe a new job prospect.

Has anyone been in a some what similar situation?

Not that it matters but Ill be looking at doing a course in computer science.

Thanks!
Original post by mattonelife
Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to give me some advice. So too cut a really long story short I am 31 and looking to get a degree.

When I was 19 I studied Media and in my second year I had to drop out due to some health concerns. I mitigated second year and half way through repeating this I had the same issue and had to drop out for good.

With OU at 3000 a year this is something that is very affordable for me and my company I work for pay close to 2000 a year for me to study outside of work so will only theoretically cost me 1000.

I keep having this thought process that it will take me 6 years to complete a part time course and ill be 37. But I am going to be 37 one day and id rather get there with a degree and maybe a new job prospect.

Thanks!

As you want to do computer science, it's actually one of the courses that England will let you have a tuition fee loan for if you do it part-time as a second degree, 120 credit still counts as part time with OU so although i wouldn't advise rushing it, doing it in 3 years could be possible or you can start off by doing less than that and see how you go :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
As you want to do computer science, it's actually one of the courses that England will let you have a tuition fee loan for if you do it part-time as a second degree, 120 credit still counts as part time with OU so although i wouldn't advise rushing it, doing it in 3 years could be possible or you can start off by doing less than that and see how you go :smile:

Hey, thank you! But what does this mean as a second degree? I didn't end up getting my first one. :frown:
Hey, thank you! But what does this mean as a second degree? I didn't end up getting my first one. :frown:

I mean if you've used your funding for another degree subject, you can get the tuition fee funding for a second degree in a stem subject, it won't matter that you didn't finish your first one :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
I mean if you've used your funding for another degree subject, you can get the tuition fee funding for a second degree in a stem subject, it won't matter that you didn't finish your first one :smile:

Ow that's awesome. I quickly tried a google and couldn't see anything. Can you point me in the right direction?
Ow that's awesome. I quickly tried a google and couldn't see anything. Can you point me in the right direction?

this is OU's page on it :smile:
http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/fees-and-funding/equivalent-qualifications
Reply 6

okay thank you I shall look into this!
Reply 7
Hi there,

Thanks!

Like previous posters stated, you are entitled to additional funding if you study a STEM subject on a part-time basis. However, what is interesting is that because the Open University is classified as a part-time institution, you are able to technically study on a full-time basis (so completing it in three years).
Reply 8
Original post by David B
Like previous posters stated, you are entitled to additional funding if you study a STEM subject on a part-time basis. However, what is interesting is that because the Open University is classified as a part-time institution, you are able to technically study on a full-time basis (so completing it in three years).

Ow thank you so much. I really hope I can get approved for this as it would change my life!
Reply 9
Original post by David B

When I go through student finance it will only give me the option for 3000 in loans as they know OU is 3000 for part time. If I select 3 years and put in the 6000 it says that my course will be 6000 a year and they can offer me the maximum of 3000? Any ideas?
When I go through student finance it will only give me the option for 3000 in loans as they know OU is 3000 for part time. If I select 3 years and put in the 6000 it says that my course will be 6000 a year and they can offer me the maximum of 3000? Any ideas?

You select the 3000 and then click an option to allow the OU to adjust the funding. The OU will then basically tell SF how much you need to pay and they pay it. It’s just one of the odd quirks about the funding set up :smile:
Hi there,

Thanks!

I was in a similar situation, at a similar age, in a similar field and studying with the OU. The company I was working for helped with the fees and also gave me 5 days off a year to study. My career is now unrecognisable.

In making that funding available to you, your employer is putting a massive opportunity in front of you. OU degrees are hard work and take a long time. As is the way with most things that are worthwhile completing. The sooner you start the sooner you'll be done. Go for it!

Quick Reply

Latest