The Student Room Group

Combined science

Haven’t done my GCSEs or a levels but I’m thinking ahead here. I want to do something to do with medicine when I’m in uni and I was wondering if I’d still be able to do that even though I do combined science. If you’re wondering I always intended to do triple but my school forced me to do combined even after asking multiple times
Of course you will, in some schools triple science isn't even an option. GCSE's don't matter too much for universities, A-Levels (or equivalent) take much more priority. As long as you get decent grades in combined science, it shouldn't limit you at all!
no, it shouldn't stop you providing you can do the required subjects at a level. i bet there's lots of candidates who do science a levels having done combined higher science.
Original post by Usernamechange44
Haven’t done my GCSEs or a levels but I’m thinking ahead here. I want to do something to do with medicine when I’m in uni and I was wondering if I’d still be able to do that even though I do combined science. If you’re wondering I always intended to do triple but my school forced me to do combined even after asking multiple times

no it shouldn't do. Is there even an option for you to do triple science at your school, as lots of schools only offer double/combined anyway
Reply 4
Original post by isobeln
no it shouldn't do. Is there even an option for you to do triple science at your school, as lots of schools only offer double/combined anyway

Yes there is, I asked my school multiple times if I could triple but they said no
Yes there is, I asked my school multiple times if I could triple but they said no

are there any others in your year doing triple? how many roughly out of how many? it may just be 10 out 100 or something doing it
Reply 6
Just concentrate on doing well at combined. Some school may set higher entrance requirements for Combined to do A level (e.g. 7-7 in Combined Science or 6 in Chemistry to do Chemistry A level) but as long as you meet the requirements you should be able to do the A level - after that it's just a question of hitting all the other criteria for Medicine.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by isobeln
are there any others in your year doing triple? how many roughly out of how many? it may just be 10 out 100 or something doing it

About 60 students in my year are doing triple, it’s just people in set 1 that are automatically made to do triple there was no option.
About 60 students in my year are doing triple, it’s just people in set 1 that are automatically made to do triple there was no option.

unless you're not good at it DO IT. ask school, ask your head of year, ask your form tutor, ask your science teachers. it sounds like you want to do it and if they say no, ask for a reason. They may be doing it for a good reason

Yes you definitely will be able to- especially as you weren’t allowed to. I wanted to do triple science too but my school forced our whole year group (regardless of ability) to do combined. They did/still do this with every year group.
You will not be disadvantaged. Try and get the best grades you possibly can. Good luck.
Reply 10
Original post by isobeln
unless you're not good at it DO IT. ask school, ask your head of year, ask your form tutor, ask your science teachers. it sounds like you want to do it and if they say no, ask for a reason. They may be doing it for a good reason

It’s kind of late cause I’m in year 11
It’s kind of late cause I’m in year 11

oh in which case go with the flow. it won't hold you back. sorry, from your posts it sounded like you could still change. combined won't hold you back at all as long as you get good grades

Good on you for thinking ahead, great initiative. My school had a similar thing, in which only top set were allowed to do triple. I was (unfortunately because I hated science) in triple and it was quite a step up from combined. If you want to do triple because of a career choice, then school should really be allowing you to do it if you explain the situation to them. Maybe have a talk to your exams officer?
Original post by dicotyledon
Of course you will, in some schools triple science isn't even an option. GCSE's don't matter too much for universities, A-Levels (or equivalent) take much more priority. As long as you get decent grades in combined science, it shouldn't limit you at all!

This is good advice, OP. All you need are good enough GCSEs for sixth form or college, then focus on getting great grades for science at A Level, as those are the grades universities are really looking for.

Quick Reply

Latest