The Student Room Group

Applying for Computer Science without further maths?

Hi tsr members,

I wanted to give a try (very ambitious shot) at Cambridge for computer science.

Given that other requirements are met, would I be disadvantaged if I apply to Cambridge without Further Maths?

Thanks you

PS: It was offered but I didn't choose it...
Reply 1
Yes you would be disadvantaged by applying without Further Maths, it's highly recommended and is even required by certain colleges.
Reply 2
Original post by hajima
Yes you would be disadvantaged by applying without Further Maths, it's highly recommended and is even required by certain colleges.

So by making an open application I allow for whichever college that only require A level Maths to at least consider my application right?
Reply 3
Original post by Parziva1
So by making an open application I allow for whichever college that only require A level Maths to at least consider my application right?

You can make an open application or just check which colleges do and don't require it. I checked on the website for you and you can apply to all of them except for Magdalene and Sidney Sussex. I would recommend applying directly to a college that you like the look of rather than with an open application because you're going to be randomly assigned to one of the colleges with the fewest applicants anyway; you don't get considered by all of the colleges with an open application so there's no advantage to doing so.
Phew ok someone in the same boat as me. I have taken FM to AS level though in year 13 when i realised (too late) that FM is basically a need for CS. It did give me alot of anxiety however I'm applying hoping to score well in the TMUA and hopefully my PS is strong enough. Still, it is a disadvantage cuz FM shows them you bascially have the mathematical aptitude they are looking for. what subjects have you taken ?
Original post by hajima
You can make an open application or just check which colleges do and don't require it. I checked on the website for you and you can apply to all of them except for Magdalene and Sidney Sussex. I would recommend applying directly to a college that you like the look of rather than with an open application because you're going to be randomly assigned to one of the colleges with the fewest applicants anyway; you don't get considered by all of the colleges with an open application so there's no advantage to doing so.

True currently I've looked at christ, emmanuel and kings
Reply 6
Original post by ayeshasam
Phew ok someone in the same boat as me. I have taken FM to AS level though in year 13 when i realised (too late) that FM is basically a need for CS. It did give me alot of anxiety however I'm applying hoping to score well in the CTMUA and hopefully my PS is strong enough. Still, it is a disadvantage cuz FM shows them you bascially have the mathematical aptitude they are looking for. what subjects have you taken ?

Guess it depends on CMTUA?
Original post by Parziva1
Guess it depends on CMTUA?

Yes and no i guess. some people have scored really well on it but still got rejected. but it does up your chances because it proves to them that you actually had the potential to do FM and do well in it. That being said I personally find the test quite challenging so... yeah. The major deciding factor is actually the interview but that depends on whether you get an interview or not. In it they will ask you in depth about your interests and you'll also probably have to do some maths questions for them
Reply 8
In you personal statement talk about how you realised the desirability of fm too late and mention how you have taken time to look at furthermaths content yourself and talk about topics/ideas that interested you

You need to show them you have really strong maths skill
Reply 9
Original post by m.s124
In you personal statement talk about how you realised the desirability of fm too late and mention how you have taken time to look at furthermaths content yourself and talk about topics/ideas that interested you

You need to show them you have really strong maths skill

Would talking about a specific mathematical theorem (while relating it to my Statement) suffice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending