The Student Room Group

do midwifes get a bad pay?

hi im writing this for my friend as she wanted to be a midwife but the teacher has put her off by saying midwifes really get a bad pay for the amount of work they do. is this true? is it worth being a midwife if your going to have a bad pay?

Scroll to see replies

The pay is OK. Huge amount of work, yes. High responsibility, yes. One needs to love it, to do it. It could be difficult to get a place on a Midwifery course, though, as the competition is fierce.
Reply 2
Time to ask a midwife.... @Tracey_W what do you think?
Original post by briannn1232
hi im writing this for my friend as she wanted to be a midwife but the teacher has put her off by saying midwifes really get a bad pay for the amount of work they do. is this true? is it worth being a midwife if your going to have a bad pay?

Tell her to go and be a midwife ok as don't listen to teachers as they only trying to put them of from any career in nursing ok.
Original post by Emily_B
Time to ask a midwife.... @Tracey_W what do you think ?

@Emily_B

@briannn1232

Emily, I think you could had answered the pay as its same as all new qualified nurses get but I pointed out what a newly qualified midwife in Scotland get and what I get a year on .

No the pay is good for a newly qualified midwife as its exactly same pay as all nurses start with like as bottom of band 5 ( this is obviously scottish pay as slightly more than english & Welsh I believe ok is £25,100 starting, I am now as a year on with increments increase of pay getting £26,970 as that's this years if I get both increments of pay ). I can't say I'm struggling on that working 3 days a week .
Remember pay will increase each year through pay increments rises providing you not been of long term sick say.
I think if you say you struggling then tell me how that is like.
Well if your main goal is a higher pay then you can always choose to locum on the weekends etc
Original post by AstaYunoo
Well if your main goal is a higher pay then you can always choose to locum on the weekends etc

If your main goal is the pay, any kind of nursing is the wrong job. To care properly we have to really love what we do
Original post by Sammylou40
If your main goal is the pay, any kind of nursing is the wrong job. To care properly we have to really love what we do

That's not what I meant, it's good to like your job and still live a flexible comfortable life... of course you need to love it because you're in it for the long run
Original post by Sammylou40

We don't do the job for the money as do it for love of helping people at there moment of needs or like myself expecting mums giving birth .
I wouldn't say pay is bad. Starting pay is close to national average pay, for working just 36 hours/3 days per week...

Workload... depends what role you're talking about and what you're comparing it to. I would much, much rather be a labour ward midwife than a ward nurse put it that way! Its also a very unique job in terms of what you get to experience, and the rapid bond you can form with so many different people.

I think your teacher is talking out of their ass tbh.
also the vastest majority of Midwives are band 6 in 2 to 3 years
Original post by InArduisFouette
also the vastest majority of Midwives are band 6 in 2 to 3 years

Occasionally, there are opportunities to go straight into band 6 after graduation.
It's rare to see a female midwife nowadays.
Original post by Jammy_Dodger23

That is not true, of course.
“According to the Nursing and Midwifery Council, out of 43,168 registered midwives in the UK at the end of March 2017, some 188 were men. But that is still a minuscule 0.4% of the total.”

2017 bbc article, there is more recent data available through the NMC but I cba to sift through it all

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-41426691
Original post by Firewood1
Occasionally, there are opportunities to go straight into band 6 after graduation.

@Emily_B - have you heard of anyone who did this in adult nursing .

Wrong as all newly qualified midwifes start at bottom of band 5 payscale and you can apply if you want to for a higher band position after few years but can stay happily at top of band 5 for long as you wish to when you reach it .
Not known any student midwifes or nurses going straight into band 6 after they graduated/qualify .
Original post by Jammy_Dodger23

Well I work with about 20 female midwifes on my shifts and there lots on the others shifts as well as I think I only seen one male midwife in my maternity wards .
Original post by Firewood1

Original post by Tracey_W

Wrong as all newly qualified midwifes start at bottom of band 5 payscale and you can apply if you want to for a higher band position after few years but can stay happily at top of band 5 for long as you wish to when you reach it .
Not known any student midwifes or nurses going straight into band 6 after they graduated/qualify .

Yeah Tracey I've never seen that in nursing either - always bottom of band 5.
Original post by Emily_B
Yeah Tracey I've never seen that in nursing either - always bottom of band 5.

Cheers Emily for your input on adult nursing not seeing anyone going straight into band 6 like. X
Original post by Tracey_W

I’ve never heard of this happening, nor could I imagine any NHS employer would take on a newly qualified nurse on anything other than the bottom of b5.
Original post by moonkatt
I’ve never heard of this happening, nor could I imagine any NHS employer would take on a newly qualified nurse on anything other than the bottom of b5.

Yes I am puzzled about this as according to ' firewood 1 " you able to do this.

But I agree with what you said as well on this ta x

If there anywhere that happened to do this I think all of us would be wanting the job !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending