The Student Room Group

How to make myself a desirable oxbridge law applicant?

Hey, I’m taking 4 a levels (Spanish, English lit, history, and Psychology) along with an EPQ, and extracurriculars (online courses, dance, guitar), I had good GCSE grades (all 9 apart from three 8s). Is this by itself enough to guarantee me a good chance of going to oxbridge when I finish sixth form (just started y12)? What else should I be doing for law, do I need work experience in the field?(hard to come by due to COVID) . Any answers are highly appreciated, thank you :smile:
Hi, your application sounds fantastic and I'm sure you'll get to a top uni. I just wanted to be super honest and say that oxbridge is very unpredictable on who they accept. You can get all A*s/9s, all the way through in every qualification, and every perfect work experience/extracurricular under the sun and not get it. From my experience at sixth form, we had tons of oxbridge applicants and some got in with As, one girl got 5 A*s and didn't for the same course (English). No idea why.

Don't be disheartened at all, but remember it's nothing personal! Just do your best and definitely give it a shot :biggrin:

Anyway, that aside, I highly recommend supercurriculars- even more so as work experience is going to be really difficult, although definitely do some if you can. Supercurriculars include further reading, lectures, podcasts, anything that can increase your knowledge, interest and thus suitability for the subject. Supercurriculars are probably a little more important than extracurriculars as they demonstrate why you are right for law
Original post by Isabella2004xx
Hey, I’m taking 4 a levels (Spanish, English lit, history, and Psychology) along with an EPQ, and extracurriculars (online courses, dance, guitar), I had good GCSE grades (all 9 apart from three 8s). Is this by itself enough to guarantee me a good chance of going to oxbridge when I finish sixth form (just started y12)? What else should I be doing for law, do I need work experience in the field?(hard to come by due to COVID) . Any answers are highly appreciated, thank you :smile:

I am a fresher at Oxford. I got 4A*, 35 in the LNAT and a strong PS. I suggest to focus more on A-Levels, PS and the LNAT rather than music or sport related extracurriculars
Original post by historynerd47
Hi, your application sounds fantastic and I'm sure you'll get to a top uni. I just wanted to be super honest and say that oxbridge is very unpredictable on who they accept. You can get all A*s/9s, all the way through in every qualification, and every perfect work experience/extracurricular under the sun and not get it. From my experience at sixth form, we had tons of oxbridge applicants and some got in with As, one girl got 5 A*s and didn't for the same course (English). No idea why.

Don't be disheartened at all, but remember it's nothing personal! Just do your best and definitely give it a shot :biggrin:

Anyway, that aside, I highly recommend supercurriculars- even more so as work experience is going to be really difficult, although definitely do some if you can. Supercurriculars include further reading, lectures, podcasts, anything that can increase your knowledge, interest and thus suitability for the subject. Supercurriculars are probably a little more important than extracurriculars as they demonstrate why you are right for law

Thank you! Your reply was super helpful, and I’ve heard it can be very hard to get in, but wow it does sound very hit or miss. I will definitely look into supercurriculars like you said, thanks for mentioning that! I suppose it’s just a case of doing as much as you can and hoping for the best.
Thank you! Your reply was super helpful, and I’ve heard it can be very hard to get in, but wow it does sound very hit or miss. I will definitely look into supercurriculars like you said, thanks for mentioning that! I suppose it’s just a case of doing as much as you can and hoping for the best.

For supercurriculars this is a good reading list for some ideas: https://www.thelawyerportal.com/blog/law-books-summer/ Maybe over the summer of course rather than now as you maybe don't have time.
Yes it is really strange and that's why I thought I'd mention it, everyone that gets in is an excellent candidate but it did seem to lack a clear logic of what they wanted. I just thought I'd say as I hope you don't take it too personally as some people did, it can be really hard.
But definitely go for it :h:
Edit: copied the wrong link sorry, fixed now :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by lancpe2002
I am a fresher at Oxford. I got 4A*, 35 in the LNAT and a strong PS. I suggest to focus more on A-Levels, PS and the LNAT rather than music or sport related extracurriculars

Thanks for the reply, also wow congratulations on your grades. Main reason, other than for enjoyment, I do grades in extracurriculars is for UCAS point, is that something they care a lot about? But thank you, I’ll make sure to focus on the more academic side of things. How did you study for the LNAT, since I don’t do law at a level it’s something I’ve been wondering, since I don’t know the subject in detail (although I’m looking to do some reading around it). Again, thanks!
For supercurriculars this is a good reading list for some ideas: https://www.law.ac.uk/resources/blog/5-must-reads-for-future-law-students/ Maybe over the summer of course rather than now as you maybe don't have time.
Yes it is really strange and that's why I thought I'd mention it, everyone that gets in is an excellent candidate but it did seem to lack a clear logic of what they wanted. I just thought I'd say as I hope you don't take it too personally as some people did, it can be really hard.
But definitely go for it :h:

Thank you, that’s really useful, I will definitely looks at that when I have spare time. Also don’t worry, I don’t take it personally in any way! Just trying to increase my likelihood now while I have a couple of years, but I do have to keep telling myself it might not happen for certain. Thanks again!
Thank you, that’s really useful, I will definitely looks at that when I have spare time. Also don’t worry, I don’t take it personally in any way! Just trying to increase my likelihood now while I have a couple of years, but I do have to keep telling myself it might not happen for certain. Thanks again!

No worries, also I edited the original post but I copied the wrong link from the reading lists I was looking at, this one seems better: https://www.thelawyerportal.com/blog/law-books-summer/ Best of luck :smile:
No worries, also I edited the original post but I copied the wrong link from the reading lists I was looking at, this one seems better: https://www.thelawyerportal.com/blog/law-books-summer/ Best of luck :smile:

Thank you so much! :smile:
Thanks for the reply, also wow congratulations on your grades. Main reason, other than for enjoyment, I do grades in extracurriculars is for UCAS point, is that something they care a lot about? But thank you, I’ll make sure to focus on the more academic side of things. How did you study for the LNAT, since I don’t do law at a level it’s something I’ve been wondering, since I don’t know the subject in detail (although I’m looking to do some reading around it). Again, thanks!

Oxbridge don't look at UCAS points at all, so as all top-tier Russel Group Universities. The average successful candidate at Oxford at A*A*A predicted in the last admission cycle, many of whom had 3A* (very few people with AAA and relatively few A*AA candidates were called for an interview). I did not do A-Level Law either, in fact, I chose to apply for Law only in mid-August of last year. after bouncing between different courses for a year or so There are lots of resources, I think it would be a great start if you do 1 practice paper that can be found on the LNAT website as well as starting familiarising yourself with the essay structure (which is NOT the same as A-Levels). Try to build momentum by using different kind of resources (I used the Mastering the National Admission Test for Law, The Ultimate LNAT guide, The Lawyer Portal and Arbito) since the quality can vary quite a lot. I did one just for 'fun' back in February 2019 and I got 24. Many would say that you cannot prepare for it but it is not true, you can familiarise with the test and practice the kind of skills required for the test. I know it is early on and I would not be too concerned at this stage for legal work experience, but Pinsent Masons runs a scheme for A-Level students every summer, so you should probably check deadlines ASAP since they tend to be very early on (generally December-January for July-August). Shadowing a barrister may also be a good idea but that of course relies on personal connections. Best of luck with your academic year. It feels like yesterday when I started Y12, I don't want to add any pressure, but time really flies. Let me know if you need anything else.
Original post by username4812684

Hi you did 4 A levels I picked three do you know anyone in Oxford who picked three or is it mostly people with 4 or 5 A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending