The Student Room Group

Hating uni so far should I give it more time?

Hi there moved into uni about 1 week and a bit ago now, and I’m really struggling to settle in, made no friends most likely as I was put in a flat with 8 girls and I’m the only male, And all is online with my course so no much hope their, thinking about going home You think I should give it more time or not?
Hi! I am in a similar situation and have been thinking about this a lot too. I would say you shouldn't be in any situation that you are uncomfortable with and that if you leave now, you will definately be able to come home for Christmas (which may not happen for other students if there is an outbreak or another lockdown). You could also save loads of money on university accomodation!

However, these are unique and unprecedented times and everyone is in a similar situation. If you leave now, you may miss out on forming friendships and attachments that will arguably be a lot stronger this year because of all the difficulties that eveyone is going through. This will also help if you are trying to find accomodation in your second year and need someone to move in with.

You may also loose your accomodation and could struggle if classes start face to face teaching which could be a challenge and would force you to commute. Another risk is that have also been around other people and have interacted in their bubbles and have a higher chance of passing the virus on.

Can you email the university and ask to move flats to one where you feel a bit better?

I hope this helps.
I hated my entire 1st year but I was proud of myself when I got through it. I would have definitely regretted dropping out. I cried so much in my first few weeks.
Reply 3
I mean I’ve never had a friend And regretted staying at my sixth form for the same reason so I don’t know if I could go through with that again. As well I’m quite a shy person so I thought I will get out, go into accommodation just you try and get some what of a life. However I don’t think it’s worked out I went to most of the events and got nothing from them. The I was just getting a little less shy but I think it was a bit of a blowback for me to be honest and especially as I’m finding it hard to interact with the people in my flat as it’s all girls and I’m male. and I’ve always said if uni just doesn’t work then I would not stay So I’m really don’t know what to do
Reply 4
Given the expense youve put into it id carry on, these things tend to pass in time and everyone feels this way at one point or another.
If the flat bothers you that much you could look at moving?

Either way id stick it out till the end of the year, if you can, if things dont improve reconsider your position then. Don;t make any hasty decisions of this magnitude though.
Original post by Anonymous
I mean I’ve never had a friend And regretted staying at my sixth form for the same reason so I don’t know if I could go through with that again. As well I’m quite a shy person so I thought I will get out, go into accommodation just you try and get some what of a life. However I don’t think it’s worked out I went to most of the events and got nothing from them. The I was just getting a little less shy but I think it was a bit of a blowback for me to be honest and especially as I’m finding it hard to interact with the people in my flat as it’s all girls and I’m male. and I’ve always said if uni just doesn’t work then I would not stay So I’m really don’t know what to do

The reason you're there is to get a degree. Facetime your family. I am a total loner but I just keep thinking about getting my degree. Time really does fly.
Everyone is finding it harder to make friends this year, it'll pick up.
Reply 6
If I do leave anyone know how hard it is to get an apprenticeship this year?

I'm so sorry that you feel that way. Maybe see if you can change your accomodation and have second chance. If not, perhaps give it a week and try and get to know the girls a bit better and if you still don't feel like you fit in or that the situation is workable, then leave.

Have you talked to welfare about this. I had a really stressful time as well as my welfare team were able to sort out a lot of really great options that made my time there so much better. Even if you don't feel like you want to, I would send them an email because they can talk to accomodation on your behalf and make sure that the situation improves.
I think you might be able to move flats. Seems a bit unfair that they put you in a flat with 8 girls.
Reply 9
I heard that the accommodation services won’t do any room swaps until next term so I don’t know whether it’ll be any good
As well if I stay any longer it will be more financial implications which I don’t want as I know I would regret it if I stay longer
I heard that the accommodation services won’t do any room swaps until next term so I don’t know whether it’ll be any good

Well just ask

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending