The Student Room Group

How much alcohol is bad?

I am a fresher at Uni and, despite having pledge not to drink any, I have actually changed plans quite soon. I am currently drinking around 7 units a week - the equivalent 1 glass of wine around Monday-Tuesday and 5-6 shots of vodka (spaced in 5 hours or so) during a day in the weekend.

Is it too much? I am a healthy 18 year-old male.
No amount of alcohol is good for your health
Original post by Scottishlad888
No amount of alcohol is good for your health

This amount is not particularly bad for your health, either. (and not to mention the health benefits of red wine)
(edited 3 years ago)
This is about half of the recommended maximum, you are fine.
I'd say the red lines are either drinking every day or getting too drunk every week (if you throw up, pass out or get a hangover, definitely too much). Just drink a sensible amount and avoid drinking for the sake of it
Original post by _gcx
This amount is not particularly bad for your health, either. (and not to mention the health benefits of red wine)

Its all bad it makes you age as well
Reply 6
Original post by Racresmol
I'd say the red lines are either drinking every day or getting too drunk every week (if you throw up, pass out or get a hangover, definitely too much). Just drink a sensible amount and avoid drinking for the sake of it

I felt a bit hungover but not too bad, I recovered fully in 3 hours or so. I will avoid getting drunk. Thank you.
Its all bad it makes you age as well

Sure - but this opinion isn't backed by evidence so isn't that useful to the op - responsible levels of drinking are fine.
Reply 8
Original post by _gcx
Sure - but this opinion isn't backed by evidence so isn't that useful to the op - responsible levels of drinking are fine.

Good to know, thank you. Interestingly, I noticed my 'resistance' ash built up very quickly: 3 units made me pretty dizzy the first time, while I barely noticed 5-6 a bit spaced a week after.
Original post by _gcx

There is evidence ask any doctor and its easy to read stuff on the internet about what alcohol does to your body and brain
No level of alcohol consumption is really "ok", see below:

https://www.thelancet.com/article/S0140-6736(18)31571-X/fulltext

Also, I really hate to be "that guy", but alcohol really doesn't have any health benefits. Some will tout the benefits of wine on lifespan/health, when really any benefit comes from the Tannin's contained in the grapes.

Eating grapes would give the same health benefits as wine without any of the downsides.
Original post by Kernel_Coder

Also, I really hate to be "that guy", but alcohol really doesn't have any health benefits. Some will tout the benefits of wine on lifespan/health, when really any benefit comes from the Tannin's contained in the grapes.

Eating grapes would give the same health benefits as wine without any of the downsides.

Sure, my point however is simply that I want just to avoid cirrhosis or other liver diseases, since a relative died because of it and got me quite scared. He used to drink 2 Campari every day and some wine 3 times a week, nobody has even seen him drunk. Even if it reduces my lifespan slightly, I am not that concerned.

l agree with you 100% there is no health benefits in drinking alcohol
l agree with you 100% there is no health benefits in drinking alcohol

It's tragically hilarious that so many people think that for some reason fermenting grapes does something special which makes them more healthy than before. It's not really how basic chemistry works, but a ridiculous number of people across the globe believe it.
It's tragically hilarious that so many people think that for some reason fermenting grapes does something special which makes them more healthy than before. It's not really how basic chemistry works, but a ridiculous number of people across the globe believe it.

Thats very true they get addicted to alcohol and blame everyone but themself
Original post by Anonymous
Good to know, thank you. Interestingly, I noticed my 'resistance' ash built up very quickly: 3 units made me pretty dizzy the first time, while I barely noticed 5-6 a bit spaced a week after.

This isn't that quick for tolerance, generally it'd take a few weeks to reset.

The general consensus is that sensible amounts of alcohol doesn't pose any significant health risk. (the study doesn't really contradict that) You can say 'low risk' rather than 'safe' - but no-one is really that bothered about the distinction when you are more or less never completely safe, it's really clutching at straws. my prev reply was admittedly inaccurate in that respect. There isn't really any completely riskless drugs just as there aren't that many riskless activities in general - but I don't think that's what the OP was shooting for.

If the OP was drinking a lot then yeah it's one of the worst addictions they could have.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending