The Student Room Group

Schools Direct Salaried Courses.

Hello! this is my first post in TSR...
I have applied through UCAS for Schools Directs Programmes, however i have received an email back from one provider yesterday saying that they have completely pulled the salaried course due to the Department of Education withdrawing national funding support.
I was wondering what your thoughts are on this! and if you are in the same sticky situation- what are your plans!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by erose19
Hello! this is my first post in TSR...
I have applied through UCAS for Schools Directs Programmes, however i have received an email back from one provider yesterday saying that they have completely pulled the salaried course due to the Department of Education withdrawing national funding support.
I was wondering what your thoughts are on this! and if you are in the same sticky situation- what are your plans!

I withdrew from a non-salaried course as I didn’t want to pay 9,250£ for no support at school. That’s totally up to you, but I wouldn’t recommend non-salaried routes considering the fact that the induction period will be 2 years starting from 2021
Reply 2
Original post by mea.culpa
I withdrew from a non-salaried course as I didn’t want to pay 9,250£ for no support at school. That’s totally up to you, but I wouldn’t recommend non-salaried routes considering the fact that the induction period will be 2 years starting from 2021

ahh i have just found out that all salaried courses have now been cancelled! soo devastating! :frown:
what do you mean by induction period?
I'm completely lost about what to do now...

Not sure what the induction period has to do with whether the training course is salaried or unsalaried, since the induction period only begins after you have finished initial teacher training. Everyone is paid during their induction period, as they are working at a school and not just doing a placement as a trainee
Is anyone here considering going for the TeachFirst route?
Original post by Quick-use

I think unfortunately this will drive a lot of people to TeachFirst, which I think will be the wrong training provider for many.

I’d encourage people to seriously look into the maintenance loan they are eligible for (and possible childcare grants if applicable) before jumping to apply to TeachFirst.
Reply 6

Original post by bluebeetle
I think unfortunately this will drive a lot of people to TeachFirst, which I think will be the wrong training provider for many.

I’d encourage people to seriously look into the maintenance loan they are eligible for (and possible childcare grants if applicable) before jumping to apply to TeachFirst.

I don't know much about teach first, as my heart was set on salaried schools direct.... is it 2 years instead of one to gain the QTS?? i may have to consider it now! However, i've really considered your point of tuition fees today and think i may just take the unsalaried schools direct... it's only one more year of no salary...
Original post by erose19
I don't know much about teach first, as my heart was set on salaried schools direct.... is it 2 years instead of one to gain the QTS?? i may have to consider it now! However, i've really considered your point of tuition fees today and think i may just take the unsalaried schools direct... it's only one more year of no salary...

With TeachFirst, the first year is around £20k, second year is around £26k and then third year (where you'll have completed the scheme) your salary will be £30k.
Original post by bluebeetle

It's certainly a different route. By taking away many financial support options, the government is limiting options.

Please don;t do that ... you will probably find a lack of support
With TeachFirst, the first year is around £20k, second year is around £26k and then third year (where you'll have completed the scheme) your salary will be £30k.

AVOID please - it is no a good option
Reply 11

Original post by Muttley79
Please don;t do that ... you will probably find a lack of support

ahh really? do you have experience?? for me, i am considering is as the government have pulled the salary route right under our feet! :frown:
Original post by erose19
ahh really? do you have experience?? for me, i am considering is as the government have pulled the salary route right under our feet! :frown:

I'm a teacher and have been asked to help people in other school let down by Teach First. The whole idea is that you don't stay in the classroom and teach before you go on to something 'better' - not a great idea is it?

Do a proper PGCE course ... you'll possibly find yourself dumped in the classroom on day one otherwise.

Original post by erose19

I'm actually considering TeachFirst. I can't afford a PGCE (already paid for a different postgrad), so it's a good route for me. I'm a little nervous about all the pressure and responsibility that comes with the scheme (assuming I get in), but my TeachFirst recruiter did say that there is certain support in place.

That said, I actually already have more than around 1000 hours of classroom teaching experience, so I hope that counts for something when starting to teach. Again, this is all assuming I make it into the scheme...
Reply 14
I'm actually considering TeachFirst. I can't afford a PGCE (already paid for a different postgrad), so it's a good route for me. I'm a little nervous about all the pressure and responsibility that comes with the scheme (assuming I get in), but my TeachFirst recruiter did say that there is certain support in place.

That said, I actually already have more than around 1000 hours of classroom teaching experience, so I hope that counts for something when starting to teach. Again, this is all assuming I make it into the scheme...

ahh sounds like you have a plan! i definitely think all your experience will boost your application for sure!
it looks like a lot of pressure, but with your experience it sounds like you're certainly capable!
i feel a bit stuck now... i really don't want to apply through UCAS all over again for a PGCE at UNI :frown:
Good luck with your application!! update me how it goes!
Original post by erose19
ahh sounds like you have a plan! i definitely think all your experience will boost your application for sure!
it looks like a lot of pressure, but with your experience it sounds like you're certainly capable!
i feel a bit stuck now... i really don't want to apply through UCAS all over again for a PGCE at UNI :frown:
Good luck with your application!! update me how it goes!

Thanks! I'm actually not sure if they'll even ask me to explain or write about my teaching experiences since the scheme is mainly aimed at final year students. I suppose I'm mostly hoping that my experience helps keep me afloat once I start the scheme (again, all assuming I get in :lol: ).

What are you thinking of doing?

I’m confused about why you wouldn’t recommend non salaried due to the 2 year induction period? Why?

It sounds like you were not supported on your placement but I would recommend a non salaried scitt.

I was at the school from the start of the school year so got to see where pupils were from the beginning and the progress made over the year. This enabled me to build strong relationships with them. I feel I got to see and do a lot more than I would have done otherwise. I also knew where I would be going for my placement prior to starting the course which was a big plus as was able to visit beforehand and become familiar with people and procedures.

@erose19 that is really frustrating that funding has been withdrawn!! It will stop some people from being able to do the course and feels so unfair to suddenly stop funding.

I did meet someone when I was training who was doing a paid Teaching Apprenticeship which seemed similar to a salaried programme so may be worth looking into?
(edited 3 years ago)

Please don't, you won't get proper support and it's not designed for people who want to teach as a career long-term.
Reply 18
UPDATE!!!!
after so much stress, i had an interview for the unsalaried course and got a place for 2021! :smile:
I spoke to someone who works on get into teaching and they said the salaried route hasn’t been scrapped and should be more next year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending