The Student Room Group

Oriental Studies at Oxford(or anywhere lol)

Hi all, i'm currently a year 11 but have spent the summer researching courses at university. I've always loved Chinese so much, and lived in Shanghai for a portion of my childhood, so I've always had a huge interest in Chinese history, politics and obviously, language.

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there studying a similar course or maybe thinking about applying for something like it, and wanted to get there opinions on the application process and any reading, extra curriculars or other activities I could do that would better prepare me for it?

I would really love to know if anyone has any sort of insight or opinion! thanks so much:smile:
Asian and Middle Eastern Studies at Cambridge.
Reply 2
Original post by quizlethoe
Hi all, i'm currently a year 11 but have spent the summer researching courses at university. I've always loved Chinese so much, and lived in Shanghai for a portion of my childhood, so I've always had a huge interest in Chinese history, politics and obviously, language.

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there studying a similar course or maybe thinking about applying for something like it, and wanted to get there opinions on the application process and any reading, extra curriculars or other activities I could do that would better prepare me for it?

I would really love to know if anyone has any sort of insight or opinion! thanks so much:smile:

I’m currently applying for AMES chinese at Cambridge and am happy to help if u would like to private message me :smile:
Original post by quizlethoe

Frankly, if you truly like China, you should go for the Chinese government scholarship (especially if you have any HSK qualifications) which cover your fees, accommodation and gives you a monthly stipend.

You can apply for the embassy bilateral scholarship (search up china scholarship council and call your china embassy to confirm). But you should hurry and prepare your documents to mail them over.

If you believe you have the CV and grades for Oxbridge types, you should be fine in applying for top Chinese universities as a foreigner (if u don't have Chinese citizenship). Peking, Tsinghua and Fudan are top 10/25/40 or so in the world. Great choices.

Fudan is a WONDERFUL university too, highly recommended, but you might be bored by Shanghai by now.
No experience but good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending