The Student Room Group

ECAA 2021 Entry

How did everyone find the ECAA?

(I found the specimen and old spec papers much easier)
I found maths and the essay section ok but ran out of time for the advanced maths which kinda sucked.
Reply 2
I'm bumbed out, I cracked under the pressure. Section A went well, Section B I guessed way too many because of timings & pressure, the essay was good. Do you think you'll get an interview?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by al33sha
I'm bumbed out, I cracked under the pressure. Section A went well, Section B I guessed way too many because of timings & pressure, the essay was good, it gave room to be creative, but I needed more clarity.

What did you write in your essay and do you think you'll get an interview?

We're not allowed to discuss answers. However, I liked the essay section. The maths section was a bit eh, not too sure how I did. You never know whether you'll get an interview or not to be honest. How well do you think you did for maths overall? (Note: I found the past papers from the old spec and the 2020 specimen paper way easier for maths)
Reply 4
Original post by aj_1177
We're not allowed to discuss answers. However, I liked the essay section. The maths section was a bit eh, not too sure how I did. You never know whether you'll get an interview or not to be honest. How well do you think you did for maths overall? (Note: I found the past papers from the old spec and the 2020 specimen paper way easier for maths)

No idea, it's hard to say. Not my usual standard compared to my other practice with past papers. I don't think it was miles harder than the specimen, not the first section anyway, it's just that there was pressure. How about you?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by al33sha
No idea, it's hard to say. Not my usual standard compared to my other practice with past papers. I don't think it was miles harder than the specimen, not the first section anyway, it's just that there was pressure. How about you?

I was happy with the essay. However, the maths section I just felt like the questions asked, especially in the advanced maths, were more difficult than any from previous years' advanced maths and ENGAA advanced maths questions I practised. I hope it wasn't the worst but from seeing on here and hearing from others, this year's entrance exams seemed way harder probably because of the new spec.

I'm happy to hear you feel yours went well :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by aj_1177
I was happy with the essay. However, the maths section I just felt like the questions asked, especially in the advanced maths, were more difficult than any from previous years' advanced maths and ENGAA advanced maths questions I practised. I hope it wasn't the worst but from seeing on here and hearing from others, this year's entrance exams seemed way harder probably because of the new spec.

I'm happy to hear you feel yours went well :smile:

Yeah, that is very true, I've picked up the same vibe too about the Advanced Maths section, it's reassuring. Guess that's a good thing too because the grading is all relative. I'm glad your essay went well, good luck :smile:
Reply 7
Yeh. the math (especially section 2) was way more difficult than any past paper. I ran out of time and had no time for the last few questions.. :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by Hanzhen
Yeh. the math (especially section 2) was way more difficult than any past paper. I ran out of time and had no time for the last few questions.. :frown:

Yeah, same. I've woke up feeling depressed, I'm so annoyed about how it went.
Reply 9
Original post by al33sha
Yeah, same. I've woke up feeling depressed, I'm so annoyed about how it went.

Original post by Hanzhen

Don't worry so have I, I've woke up disappointed. I think everyone who sat that paper is feeling the same way right now. We just have to try and stay positive and hope for the best.
Reply 10
Here is a general consensus from the Oxbridge Formula, Step Maths:

"Over 200 students wrote to me yesterday to let me know how the exam went.
ECAA

Section 1 consists of Maths and Advanced Maths sections. The Maths section was relatively straightforward, but the Advanced Maths section was much more challenging than in previous years, with many students feeling very short on time and most students not completing this section.

The essay used an extract from a recent (2020) article, which some students enjoyed. It was an accessible piece, but some students found that the extract did not link to the question as closely as it might have."

Hope it's useful!
Don’t feel too bad, I’m sure they’ll understand that this is a new specification so it will be harder for students and the disruption in studies COVID has brought, so keep your head up until you get a reply :smile:
Any news about the interviews?

I made an open application. So, is my application forwarded to all colleges?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Nuttyboi
Any news about the interviews?

I made an open application. So, is my application forwarded to all colleges?

If that were the case, everybody would choose an open application. I think they just choose a random college for you, or one which is undersubscribed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending