The Student Room Group

Student finance funding for returning student

I previously studied for an undergraduate degree for four years and I received student finance a couple of years ago. However, due to mental health complications, I did not leave with an honours degree and got a certificate instead.

I have now reapplied to continue my degree from 2nd year of entry. Is there still a possibility of receiving student finance for at least a year?
Original post by Masterbob
I previously studied for an undergraduate degree for four years and I received student finance a couple of years ago. However, due to mental health complications, I did not leave with an honours degree and got a certificate instead.

I have now reapplied to continue my degree from 2nd year of entry. Is there still a possibility of receiving student finance for at least a year?

Hi there,

How long is your course normally? Can you confirm the course you're studying? Just to clarify you have done 4 years full time previously? The course you're going back to study will also be full time?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

How long is your course normally? Can you confirm the course you're studying? Just to clarify you have done 4 years full time previously? The course you're going back to study will also be full time?

Thanks,
Claire

Thank you for your reply, Claire.

The course I am applying for is a 3-year course, however, I am hoping to enter in Year 2 so only need to study for 2 years. The course would be BA International Relations.

I started my previous course in September 2016 and was withdrawn from the programme in December 2021. So 5 full years and then a partial extension in the 6th year from September 2021 from which I was withdrawn in December 2021.
(edited 10 months ago)
Thank you for your reply, Claire.

The course I am applying for is a 3-year course, however, I am hoping to enter in Year 2 so only need to study for 2 years. The course would be BA International Relations.

I started my previous course in September 2016 and was withdrawn from the programme in December 2021. So 5 full years and then a partial extension in the 6th year from September 2021 from which I was withdrawn in December 2021.

Every student is entitled to funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study. This means based on what you have advised you wouldn't be eligible for full support. We wouldn't award Tuition Fees for the 2 years of the course you're doing. You should be eligible for Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants (if applicable).

If you have Compelling Personal Reasons evidence (CPR) why you dind't complete your previous course, you can send in evidence to see if its posisble to obtain an additional year of full finance. The evidence would be a letter on headed paper signed/stamped and dated from someone in profession i.e. Doctor/lecturer who knows the CPR. They must know how it affected your studies and the dates it affected you. Once received it will be up to the assessor if this will be accepted or not.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 4
Every student is entitled to funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study. This means based on what you have advised you wouldn't be eligible for full support. We wouldn't award Tuition Fees for the 2 years of the course you're doing. You should be eligible for Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants (if applicable).

If you have Compelling Personal Reasons evidence (CPR) why you dind't complete your previous course, you can send in evidence to see if its posisble to obtain an additional year of full finance. The evidence would be a letter on headed paper signed/stamped and dated from someone in profession i.e. Doctor/lecturer who knows the CPR. They must know how it affected your studies and the dates it affected you. Once received it will be up to the assessor if this will be accepted or not.

Thanks,
Claire

Thank you for clearing that Claire.

Just to follow up on that, you mentioned that I should be eligible for Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants if applicable. Regarding this, would I still require CPR evidence for it?
Thank you for clearing that Claire.

Just to follow up on that, you mentioned that I should be eligible for Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants if applicable. Regarding this, would I still require CPR evidence for it?

No, the CPR would be for the Tuition Fees.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 6
No, the CPR would be for the Tuition Fees.

Thanks,
Claire

Thank you for clearing that up, that is very reassuring.

I have put a student application through already for both a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan.

Would you advise that I withdraw my application and apply for a maintenance loan?
Thank you for clearing that up, that is very reassuring.

I have put a student application through already for both a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan.

Would you advise that I withdraw my application and apply for a maintenance loan?

Hi there,

You don't need to cancel your application, that's fine. Based on what you've said you've applied correctly, and you can upload any evidence whenever you're able.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 8
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

You don't need to cancel your application, that's fine. Based on what you've said you've applied correctly, and you can upload any evidence whenever you're able.

Thanks, Graeme

I've just received some counter offers for the university I applied for. My application for SFE is still being processed, would you advise me to wait until that's completed before I make a change to the application?

I originally stated I will be going into 2nd year. But the counter offer is for foundation year entry for a 4 year programme.

Thank you
I've just received some counter offers for the university I applied for. My application for SFE is still being processed, would you advise me to wait until that's completed before I make a change to the application?

I originally stated I will be going into 2nd year. But the counter offer is for foundation year entry for a 4 year programme.

Thank you

Hi there, You would need to wait until the application has been fully processed to make the changes via your online account or by completing the Change of Circumstances form. Thanks, Angela
Reply 10
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, You would need to wait until the application has been fully processed to make the changes via your online account or by completing the Change of Circumstances form. Thanks, Angela

I had submitted evidence for compelling reasons and they had been accepted, and my application was awaiting confirmation from my university that I had registered for the course.

My original SFE application was for second-year entry, however, my accepted unconditional offer is for a 3-year humanities & social sciences degree with foundation year, with the point of entry being the foundation year.

Will this affect my eligibility and entitlement much if my evidence for compelling reason has already been accepted?

Thank you
(edited 8 months ago)
I had submitted evidence for compelling reasons and they had been accepted, and my application was awaiting confirmation from my university that I had registered for the course.

My original SFE application was for second-year entry, however, my accepted unconditional offer is for a 3-year humanities & social sciences degree with foundation year, with the point of entry being the foundation year.

Will this affect my eligibility and entitlement much if my evidence for compelling reason has already been accepted?

Thank you

Hi there,

Once you have made the change the team will review the CPR again and apply this accordingly to your application. They would normally send you an email to advise you what you have been awarded based on it being accepted or not.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 12
Hi there,

Once you have made the change the team will review the CPR again and apply this accordingly to your application. They would normally send you an email to advise you what you have been awarded based on it being accepted or not.

Thanks,
Claire

Hi there again, My apologies for continuing this chain of messages. I appreciate your support over the months.

I just have a question regarding my newly approved SFE application, my CPR was accepted all seems to be going so far as I am full enrolled at Uni and studying.

I was previously working full-time and was paying back my first SFE loan. I have changed job roles to a part-time, weekend position with my employer however they did not complete my transfer on time so I have been paid for this new month as a full-time employee and made a further payment towards my first SFE loan.

Will this affect my new SFE loan conditions?

What would you advise?

Thank you
Hi there again, My apologies for continuing this chain of messages. I appreciate your support over the months.

I just have a question regarding my newly approved SFE application, my CPR was accepted all seems to be going so far as I am full enrolled at Uni and studying.

I was previously working full-time and was paying back my first SFE loan. I have changed job roles to a part-time, weekend position with my employer however they did not complete my transfer on time so I have been paid for this new month as a full-time employee and made a further payment towards my first SFE loan.

Will this affect my new SFE loan conditions?

What would you advise?

Thank you

Hi there,

No it wouldn't affect your current application. If you have any repayment questions, you can contact our repayment team directly.

You can contact our repayments department but they are not available on here. If you prefer to communicate to them via chat then you can message them on Twitter https://twitter.com/messages/compose?recipient_id=806835849916719104 or Facebook http://m.me/SLCRepayment - alternatively they are also available on the phone, their number is 0300 100 0611.

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending