The Student Room Group

Appeal uni grade

Hello guys
Ive just received my assignment grade today, however i was disappointed as it was just two marks below on what i wanted, i feel as if it was my best piece of work to this date and deserved a higher grade should i consider to appeal it or is that
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hello guys
Ive just received my assignment grade today, however i was disappointed as it was just two marks below on what i wanted, i feel as if it was my best piece of work to this date and deserved a higher grade should i consider to appeal it or is that

Not on option?
Hello guys

What makes you think that a mistake was made?
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
What makes you think that a mistake was made?

they haven't given me feedback on it to say, also i feel as if it was marked very quickly, as soom as i uploaded it it was marked in a few days and also just feel as if i was hard done missing out on a 2.1, i thought the quality of work was very good not to get. A 2.1
they haven't given me feedback on it to say, also i feel as if it was marked very quickly, as soom as i uploaded it it was marked in a few days and also just feel as if i was hard done missing out on a 2.1, i thought the quality of work was very good not to get. A 2.1

A few days seems plenty of time to mark an assignment.
Do contact a professor casually to ask for feedback and ask why your work was not given 2.1, remember to be nice and humble.
Normally you can't launch a complaint and demand a remark like A-levels just because you got 2 marks lower than your desired grade.
Since all work should be anonymized before marking, it's unlikely the professors are discriminating against you specifically.
Hello guys

Do you have any evidence you can point to, i.e. a comparison between what's in you work and what's on the the marking criteria.

Without evidence I wouldn't appeal, the systems really arent designed to allow or support frivolous appeals.

You were two marks below a 2:1. In a single essay, that really accounts for nothing - remember to have some perspective! A few days is perfectly reasonable, if you'd even said a few hours I wouldn't have been overly surprised.

Ask for your feedback and go to the lecturer's office hours if you are still unclear about where your marks were gained/not gained. You can't appeal simply because you don't like your mark, without any evidence of procedural error. Remember, you cannot appeal academic judgement.
unfortunately, feeling something is not a very good ground for an appeal
Reply 9
Hello guys

I would ask to speak to the marker/lecturer for feedback, but only so you can improve for the future, rather than to change the current grade.
I'm involved in marking at university, and it's very regulated. There are usually specific things we can give marks for, and there's not much room around this.
Hello guys

Appealing a couple of percentage points because you “think” you deserved better will not go well. Academics call this “grade grubbing” and unless you can point to a specific error such as a section not being marked or an adding up mistake, it will be rejected on the basis that if you really had the skills to determine that the work deserves 2% higher, you should be delivering the course, not taking it.

https://marktomforde.com/academic/undergraduates/GradeGrubbing.html
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending