The Student Room Group

NEED HELP with Personal Statement

Can someone tell me how I can right a good personal statement? I’m applying for architecture for next year and my application deadline is 15 January but I want to apply early. (I think I’m late though for the early application). What kind of references should I include? What kind of things should I do to make personal statement more appealing to the person who looks at my personal statement?

Thank you
Hey. It's a bit late to fet it in "early", but hopefully you can get it done soon. UCAS Hub has a really good structure and guide as to how to write it. You need to refer to any work exeprience, volunteering and anyhing like that. Even if it has nothung to do with your chosen uni subject, you can say you learnt some dort of skills, whether that be comittment, confidence, time management, etc.

You also need to refer to how your a level subjects apply to your uni choice

Throughout, you must talk about why you want to study it, why it is important to you and why you would be a good candidate.
As above submitting in December isn't early but as long as its in before the deadline youre ok 👌😁

Have a look on the ucas website and at past personal statements (for inspiration, dont copy)

Then need to talk about why you want to do the course, your key skills etc. Main thing is show your passion for the subject. By nature its personal to you.

Personally wouldnt bother wasting space on why your a levels relate to the course. Either its obvious or the alevel subject isnt relevant so no point talking about it.

Will your sixth form/college tutor or similar look over and advise?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Emir_0808
Can someone tell me how I can right a good personal statement? I’m applying for architecture for next year and my application deadline is 15 January but I want to apply early. (I think I’m late though for the early application). What kind of references should I include? What kind of things should I do to make personal statement more appealing to the person who looks at my personal statement?

Thank you

Hi @Emir_0808,

The Student Room has a Personal Statement Builder which you may find useful, and UCAS also have their own Personal Statement tool :smile:

Do you have anyone at sixth form/college who can help you with your personal statement, or any friends who are also applying to uni so you can work on it together?

I'd also recommend getting in touch with the Uni's that you want to apply to, they might have their own subject specific personal statement guidance or be willing to give out some advice, I hope this helps and good luck!

- Mia :smile:
There are two deadlines for UCAS (unless applying for specific music courses):

15th Oct: only matters if you are applying for Oxford/Cambridge or medicine/vet med.
15th January: everything else

So you're fine for architecture. Your PS should focus on why you want to do architecture and your skills for it
Some tips
Focus on why you want to do that course
Convey your passion for the subject

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending