The Student Room Group

Low attendance in sixth form due to mental health

Hi, I’m in year 12 of sixth form, and i really struggle with anxiety/ panic attacks and my first term of sixth form went really well (only missed one or two days and was in every lesson and went every day apart from that) then this second term has been so hard , i went to the grammar school previously before the sixth form so they are very aware of my situation and i stopped going to the secondary school as i was referred to do home education as my anxiety prevented me from going to school, so fast forward a few years and i’m returned to the school as part of the sixth form, this term ive missed about two weeks because i’ve felt so anxious and they’ve had meetings with my mum as “interventions” and they said they want to try and support me and help and make it as easy as possible for me, but i’m absolutely terrified of being kicked out, i have such lovely friends, really nice teachers, i love my subjects and my lessons and i just really love sixth form the only thing is, my anxiety does not. I was just really looking for reassurance or for anyone to be able to relate because i’m so scared they’ll kick me out and i have no idea what id do then please help!! also i’d like to add after being absent for those two weeks, i have been in last week and nearly finished this week too, so things have been smoothing out again as i’ve been back in and attending everyday, so if things carry on how they are and i’m going in each day, they wouldn’t kick me out would they? Would it just be if the absence continued they would have to discuss what to do but since i’ve been back at sixth form that shouldn’t happen now right?? Thank you for reading and advice or help would be massively appreciated, my attendance is around 60-70% i feel so embarrassed just typing that but now i’m back again do you think things will be okay?
Original post by elha04
Hi, I’m in year 12 of sixth form, and i really struggle with anxiety/ panic attacks and my first term of sixth form went really well (only missed one or two days and was in every lesson and went every day apart from that) then this second term has been so hard , i went to the grammar school previously before the sixth form so they are very aware of my situation and i stopped going to the secondary school as i was referred to do home education as my anxiety prevented me from going to school, so fast forward a few years and i’m returned to the school as part of the sixth form, this term ive missed about two weeks because i’ve felt so anxious and they’ve had meetings with my mum as “interventions” and they said they want to try and support me and help and make it as easy as possible for me, but i’m absolutely terrified of being kicked out, i have such lovely friends, really nice teachers, i love my subjects and my lessons and i just really love sixth form the only thing is, my anxiety does not. I was just really looking for reassurance or for anyone to be able to relate because i’m so scared they’ll kick me out and i have no idea what id do then please help!! also i’d like to add after being absent for those two weeks, i have been in last week and nearly finished this week too, so things have been smoothing out again as i’ve been back in and attending everyday, so if things carry on how they are and i’m going in each day, they wouldn’t kick me out would they? Would it just be if the absence continued they would have to discuss what to do but since i’ve been back at sixth form that shouldn’t happen now right?? Thank you for reading and advice or help would be massively appreciated, my attendance is around 60-70% i feel so embarrassed just typing that but now i’m back again do you think things will be okay?

I doubt they’d kick you out since they know the situation, people at my college have way lower attendance and haven’t been kicked out but I guess it depends on the school. Good luck with everything
Reply 2
Thank you so much, I’d understand if it had been weeks of absence then they might have to do something about it or if i seemed like i didn’t really care, but its been pretty much the opposite and i have been trying to catch up with what i’ve missed and these last two weeks i’ve been going each day and attending each lesson, Thank you so much for your message, I’m completely new here so i’m really grateful for any help
Original post by elha04
Thank you so much, I’d understand if it had been weeks of absence then they might have to do something about it or if i seemed like i didn’t really care, but its been pretty much the opposite and i have been trying to catch up with what i’ve missed and these last two weeks i’ve been going each day and attending each lesson, Thank you so much for your message, I’m completely new here so i’m really grateful for any help

No worries! It’s good the way you’re concerned about it as it shows you care about school and you’re trying your best, they should be able to see that and hopefully they can offer you any help or support you need and be understanding x
Reply 4
Original post by elha04

It sounds as if the school is being supportive and I think you should try to stop worrying about them throwing you out. The main thing now is to look forward and look after yourself. Have you had any therapy at all. It is a long wait on NHS but maybe you could go private though I know it depends on circumstance.
My daughter had a lot of time off in lower 6th but I was in regular contact with the school and established some protocols with them if my daughter suffered a panic attack in school. Staff teaching her were made aware that if she needed to leave class she could just up and go without explanation. Also she was allowed to report to head of sixth form secretary on these occasions who was someone she could calm down around. You want to be in school and hopefully things will settle down again but try not to over think it. Ps her attendance was way worse than yours at times. She did get her A levels though.
Reply 5
Original post by Scotney
It sounds as if the school is being supportive and I think you should try to stop worrying about them throwing you out. The main thing now is to look forward and look after yourself. Have you had any therapy at all. It is a long wait on NHS but maybe you could go private though I know it depends on circumstance.
My daughter had a lot of time off in lower 6th but I was in regular contact with the school and established some protocols with them if my daughter suffered a panic attack in school. Staff teaching her were made aware that if she needed to leave class she could just up and go without explanation. Also she was allowed to report to head of sixth form secretary on these occasions who was someone she could calm down around. You want to be in school and hopefully things will settle down again but try not to over think it. Ps her attendance was way worse than yours at times. She did get her A levels though.

Thank you so much for your message, I have been through lots of different types of therapy (hypnotherapy/counselling/cbt etc) and we’ve been in contact with a “children and young people’s service” who I had been discharged from a while ago but re referred just in case things do get worse, they will be there as support if the school did want a meeting, I’m in a very similar situation with my teachers too as they know if i need to I can just get up and leave the lesson and in some classes i’m sat nearest the door so i can easily leave, so I know they are all aware, the pastoral staff have said that I can take breaks at any time and sit in their office if I wanted to be away from everyone else and in this meeting we had, they said they want to help and support me so it seems like they are wanting me to be there and trying their best to make it as easy as possible for me, I think they just have to put a lot of pressure on because it’s a grammar school sixth form so there’s quite a few expectations about attendance and grades and rules (we aren’t supposed to leave during free periods and we have to be there for the whole school day unlike colleges) but honestly i’m so grateful for your message thank you so much, it’s really made me feel a lot better and reassured about the whole situation
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by elha04
Thank you so much for your message, I have been through lots of different types of therapy (hypnotherapy/counselling/cbt etc) and we’ve been in contact with CYPS (children and young people’s services) so I think they are there as a support for us if the school did want a meeting, I’m in a very similar situation with my teachers too as they know if i need to I can just get up and leave the lesson and in some classes i’m sat nearest the door so i can easily leave, so I know they are all aware, the pastoral staff have said that I can take breaks at any time and sit in their office if I wanted to be away from everyone else and in this meeting we had, they said they want to help and support me so it seems like they are wanting me to be there and trying their best to make it as easy as possible for me, I think they just have to put a lot of pressure on because it’s a grammar school sixth form so there’s quite a few expectations about attendance and grades and rules (we aren’t supposed to leave during free periods and we have to be there for the whole school day unlike colleges) but honestly i’m so grateful for your message thank you so much, it’s really made me feel a lot better and reassured about the whole situation

Happy to help.Also about grammar schools they do go on about attendance and grades but a lot of the time it is best to let it drift over your head because it is not aimed at you but rather the more laid back students who are not putting in their best effort.So just concentrate on doing your best as that is all any of us can do is it not?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending