The Student Room Group

fellow vegans and vegetarians... UNITE!

Comment if you’re vegetarian or vegan, for how long, and why you decided to be vegan/vegetarian :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Vegetarian for 10 years. I didn’t like the idea of eating animals and I never liked the taste. I don’t miss meat.
Original post by adichemist
vegan, 10 years and I chose to be vegan after I saw many dead animals and it made me cry

that’s the same reason as me. i saw videos from slaughterhouses and it converted me straight away. 10 years is amazing!
Original post by YaliaV123
Vegetarian for 10 years. I didn’t like the idea of eating animals and I never liked the taste. I don’t miss meat.

neither, never liked it that much to begin with. why vegetarian and not vegan?
hi!

i still eat meat but am trying to go for more vegetarian options! i know i don’t really fit in this thread but was just wondering if any of you have any food suggestions?

what do you suggest i try? im lactose intolerant which makes things a little difficult but please let me know your fav foods so i can give them a go!

Original post by lilbabypenguin
neither, never liked it that much to begin with. why vegetarian and not vegan?

I’m virtually a vegan because I don’t eat much dairy. I’ve been getting some unfortunate side-effects from eating a lot of lentils, beans etc 😳 I will transition eventually.
Original post by baby.bear
hi!

i still eat meat but am trying to go for more vegetarian options! i know i don’t really fit in this thread but was just wondering if any of you have any food suggestions?

what do you suggest i try? im lactose intolerant which makes things a little difficult but please let me know your fav foods so i can give them a go!

hey!!!

i’m a vegetarian but i tend to eat ‘normal’ foods, so things that regular meat eaters would also eat. i always use olive spread, not butter so that might be helpful for you. i like salad rolls and sandwiches, spaghetti and garlic bread with tomato sauce, rice with sweet corn and peas and ‘veggie balls’, really recommend quorn sausages, even though i’m not much of a fan of quorn it’s definitely worth a try. i eat all regular cereals and as for a sunday roast I just have lots of veggies with gravy and yorkshire puds. love veggies on pizza, and from the chinese i get vegetable chow mien and egg fried rice, and from the indian i get vegetable curry. as you can see these are pretty normal foods and quite easy to make, not hard at all! i wish you all the best, going vegetarian was the best decision i’ve ever made xx
Original post by YaliaV123
I’m virtually a vegan because I don’t eat much dairy. I’ve been getting some unfortunate side-effects from eating a lot of lentils, beans etc 😳 I will transition eventually.

well done! that’s a shame, lentils and beans are the bestttt
i still eat steak tho its too nice to not eat

then you aren’t a vegan? lol
hey!!!

i’m a vegetarian but i tend to eat ‘normal’ foods, so things that regular meat eaters would also eat. i always use olive spread, not butter so that might be helpful for you. i like salad rolls and sandwiches, spaghetti and garlic bread with tomato sauce, rice with sweet corn and peas and ‘veggie balls’, really recommend quorn sausages, even though i’m not much of a fan of quorn it’s definitely worth a try. i eat all regular cereals and as for a sunday roast I just have lots of veggies with gravy and yorkshire puds. love veggies on pizza, and from the chinese i get vegetable chow mien and egg fried rice, and from the indian i get vegetable curry. as you can see these are pretty normal foods and quite easy to make, not hard at all! i wish you all the best, going vegetarian was the best decision i’ve ever made xx

ah thank you!!

ive started opting for veggie fingers instead of chicken and things like that! my mum used to be vegetarian for 12 years so we try to find alternatives where my dad can eat meat and we can eat veggie but we are having the same meal if that makes sense?

thank you for your suggestions!
ah thank you!!

ive started opting for veggie fingers instead of chicken and things like that! my mum used to be vegetarian for 12 years so we try to find alternatives where my dad can eat meat and we can eat veggie but we are having the same meal if that makes sense?

thank you for your suggestions!

that’s a really good idea. it definitely helps if someone else in your family/household is also vegetarian. i’m so proud of you! it’s a step in the right direction for sure. are you liking the vegetarian alternatives so far?
wow, maybe you're right. All this time I've been saying I'm vegan but still eating meat because I'm not that bothered. what a waste of time. You've changed my life

the definition of ‘vegan’ is someone who doesn’t consume animals or animal products. do you mean lactose intolerant or do you just not consume animal products? maybe that’s what you meant instead :smile:
that’s a really good idea. it definitely helps if someone else in your family/household is also vegetarian. i’m so proud of you! it’s a step in the right direction for sure. are you liking the vegetarian alternatives so far?

yes actually! the ones I’ve found are actually really nice! we have my dad some vegetarian sausages the other day and he couldn’t tell the difference!

it’s small steps but im really enjoying trying new things!
(edited 3 years ago)
yes actually! the ones I’ve found are actually really nice! we have my dad some vegetarian sausages the other day and he couldn’t tell the difference!

it’s small steps but im really enjoying trying new things!

i’m glad to hear that :smile:)
well done! that’s a shame, lentils and beans are the bestttt

They are!
Reply 15
Vegetarian, for about a year and a half. Decided to go veggie as I always felt guilty about eating animals, then I watched this documentary about the meat industry and abattoirs and never wanted to eat meat again. I hope to go properly vegan when I'm older and have moved out, but at the moment I've swapped dairy for oat milk on my cereal to try and cut down a bit.
Original post by Flobro
Vegetarian, for about a year and a half. Decided to go veggie as I always felt guilty about eating animals, then I watched this documentary about the meat industry and abattoirs and never wanted to eat meat again. I hope to go properly vegan when I'm older and have moved out, but at the moment I've swapped dairy for oat milk on my cereal to try and cut down a bit.

well done! same here, definitely want to go all the way one day, but it’s hard when you’re surrounded by people in your household who don’t feel the same. i’d recommend swapping butter for olive spread, there’s little difference and it’s another easy change to make :smile:
Vegetarian

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Vegan for 6 months because of health issues, compassion and animals. I am fortunate enough to be in a position where I don’t have to eat meat/meat products but I know that it’s not an option for everyone. I do all my own cooking and live in a house where everyone else eats meat but to an extent I don’t mind because I believe when it comes to decisions about your life (when you are old and capable enough) you should be able to do what you want (as long as it doesn’t hurt the people around you). I don’t really eat too much beans/lentils but I still make sure I get a lot of protein each day because I do a lot of strength exercises :smile:
Original post by northener_3006
Vegan for 6 months because of health issues, compassion and animals. I am fortunate enough to be in a position where I don’t have to eat meat/meat products but I know that it’s not an option for everyone. I do all my own cooking and live in a house where everyone else eats meat but to an extent I don’t mind because I believe when it comes to decisions about your life (when you are old and capable enough) you should be able to do what you want (as long as it doesn’t hurt the people around you). I don’t really eat too much beans/lentils but I still make sure I get a lot of protein each day because I do a lot of strength exercises :smile:

What do you eat to get all your protein? And yeah I totally agree!

Quick Reply

Latest