The Student Room Group

A level combination

I’m struggling to decide on a final combination so it would mean a lot of you would choose which one of the 4 below is best!
1) Maths, Further Maths Economics, Geography
2) Maths, Economics, Geography
3) Maths, Further Maths, Economics
4) Maths, Further maths, Business and Economics

Business is my favourite and best subject at GCSE, Geography is one of my best and I enjoy maths a lot - what combination do you think would be the most beneficial in getting into a top uni? Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by aesamira
I’m struggling to decide on a final combination so it would mean a lot of you would choose which one of the 4 below is best!

Business is my favourite and best subject at GCSE, Geography is one of my best and I enjoy maths a lot - what combination do you think would be the most beneficial in getting into a top uni? Thank you

Depends what courses/unis you're thinking of. Any ideas? Would check if they have any subject requirements for certain courses.
What subject are you looking to study at university? At the end of the day it's all down to what you feel you will enjoy the most! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by catn00b
Depends what courses/unis you're thinking of. Any ideas? Would check if they have any subject requirements for certain courses.

Hi! I’m thinking of doing a degree Finance/Economics or maybe business I’m not really sure yet. But from what I’ve seen only some courses require maths - and few of the top unis further maths. But I’m torn between geography and business because I heard that unis don’t like people doing economics and Business together, sand some don’t like people doing maths and further maths together do i feel like this would leave me at a major disadvantage.
Reply 4
Hi! I’m thinking of doing a degree Finance/Economics or maybe business I’m not really sure yet. But from what I’ve seen only some courses require maths - and few of the top unis further maths. But I’m torn between geography and business because I heard that unis don’t like people doing economics and Business together, sand some don’t like people doing maths and further maths together do i feel like this would leave me at a major disadvantage.

Definitely keep maths if you enjoy it - it's needed for a lot of unis for econ (and if it isn't required, it's definitely recommended as degree level economics tends to be quite mathsy)
I would have thought unis might like maths and further maths? (esp for econ at oxbridge for example - but i doubt it'd be a requirement)
I'm not too sure what people think about business/geography. At the end of the day, do what you enjoy most! :smile:

Maths and FM together is perfectly fine for STEM subjects, and the more mathematical (like yours) so don't worry about that, I deffo recommend you take both! Some unis don't like business and economics together as they're similar again, but obvs as that's what you're applying to I think they would allow it! Geog does seem like an outlier, but I guess you chose it because you're good at it and it's a facilitating subject
Reply 6
Original post by jduxie4414
Maths and FM together is perfectly fine for STEM subjects, and the more mathematical (like yours) so don't worry about that, I deffo recommend you take both! Some unis don't like business and economics together as they're similar again, but obvs as that's what you're applying to I think they would allow it! Geog does seem like an outlier, but I guess you chose it because you're good at it and it's a facilitating subject

hey thanks so much for the help! i was just also wondering - do your not think it will be a problem if i took econ and business together since there so similar? i’d personally rather do business than geography but some people have said that it’s not preferable but i don’t know if this will disadvantage me.
Reply 7
Original post by catn00b
Definitely keep maths if you enjoy it - it's needed for a lot of unis for econ (and if it isn't required, it's definitely recommended as degree level economics tends to be quite mathsy)
I would have thought unis might like maths and further maths? (esp for econ at oxbridge for example - but i doubt it'd be a requirement)
I'm not too sure what people think about business/geography. At the end of the day, do what you enjoy most! :smile:

thank you so much for the help! i think i’ll definitely stick with maths and further maths but i’m still deciding on geo and business- thanks so much for your time :smile:
hey thanks so much for the help! i was just also wondering - do your not think it will be a problem if i took econ and business together since there so similar? i’d personally rather do business than geography but some people have said that it’s not preferable but i don’t know if this will disadvantage me.

They are very similar, but I think the unis will focus on the other three subjects: Maths, FM, Economics, then business as a side. You're very right, but I don't see it being a problem as the requirements are for 3 subjects anyway!

I am applying for computer science at Oxford and I take maths FM physics and drama (I know!), so 3 very similar followed by a complete outlier! At the end of the day, do what you enjoy most :smile:
Reply 9
thank you so much for the help! i think i’ll definitely stick with maths and further maths but i’m still deciding on geo and business- thanks so much for your time :smile:

haha no worries, can't really help you there as business wasn't even offered to me. I would say geography probably provides a wider breadth of knowledge generally which unis might appreciate but if business is your favourite, I'd do it. Ultimately enjoying your subjects makes A levels a lot more bearable and makes getting good grades so much easier :smile: (I'd know because I hated most of my subjects lol)

I would do option 4 then in you enjoy Business and want to do an econ/finance degree imo? that's my opinion my advice is rubbish though lol
(edited 3 years ago)

I think option 2 is the best option. You are more likely to get good grades if you stick to 3 and for economics you need alevel maths. Doing economics alevel would be good if you want to do economics/ finance. Geography is also good as you are good at it and it counts a science for many courses. If you really wanna do 4 then do option 1. Don't do business and econ unless you really want to.

Hello, I do Maths and Further Maths, and these two a levels are highly regarded at university and I would definitely recommend doing if you have a passion for Maths. My friend does Economics and he enjoys the subject a lot, and another of my friends does Geography and also enjoys it.

It depends on what you prefer in all honesty: it's not always a great idea asking people for their best choice. If you enjoy Geography, go for it! I believe Geography has a 20% NEA and Economics doesn't, so that's something you might consider. From personal experience, I chose Computer Science at A Level, as I enjoyed it at GCSE - and if you ask me now, it's probably the worst for me!

Perhaps the best thing you can do is look at the A-Level spec and make some kind of decision if what you think you would enjoy more.

I don’t know if this is an option for you, and if it’s isn’t please discount everything I say, but
Is it possible that you could do maths, further maths, business and geography?
As you said business is your favourite, you enjoy maths and you love geography. This would help you getting the best grades you can.
Anyway Good Luck and if this doesn’t help take my advice with a pinch of salt!

By the way, I checked on the Oxford website you don’t need to take economics to apply for an undergrad economics BA degree!
What were your GCSE grades? If they were good (7s 8s 9s) I would recommend option 1.

Otherwise I like option 3.
Original post by Danibear_365
I don’t know if this is an option for you, and if it’s isn’t please discount everything I say, but
Is it possible that you could do maths, further maths, business and geography?
As you said business is your favourite, you enjoy maths and you love geography. This would help you getting the best grades you can.
Anyway Good Luck and if this doesn’t help take my advice with a pinch of salt!

By the way, I checked on the Oxford website you don’t need to take economics to apply for an undergrad economics BA degree!

In addition, (this is the final piece of unsolicited advice I promise 😉) A Level Economics is not a stated requirement for Economics at any University in the UK. Cambridge has noted that A-Level Economics is 'preferable' which is an indicator that its a good idea if you can take it, but it clearly isn't essential. If Economics is not offered at your 6th Form/college then it will help your application if this fact is mentioned in your reference.
Perhaps you could do extra reading around your subject (if you’re not already doing so) to put in your personal statement and help you prepare?

Quick Reply

Latest