The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Module Lengths

Hello, new to the site and new to university level studies.
Starting an economics degree at the end of Jan.
I've signed up for my first 30 credit module, I thought the modules ran 6 months at a time, so the degree ran without pause 1 module at a time. Would I be correct in thinking I am actually supposed to be studying 2x 30 credit modules at the same time, having a break over the winter / christmas period, and then continuing with another 2x30 or 60 credit module the following year? It almost seems like it should be obvious, however I need to know so that I can get some finances in place to sign up for the additional 30 credit module.

Cheers
Original post by 28raiders
Hello, new to the site and new to university level studies.
Starting an economics degree at the end of Jan.
I've signed up for my first 30 credit module, I thought the modules ran 6 months at a time, so the degree ran without pause 1 module at a time. Would I be correct in thinking I am actually supposed to be studying 2x 30 credit modules at the same time, having a break over the winter / christmas period, and then continuing with another 2x30 or 60 credit module the following year? It almost seems like it should be obvious, however I need to know so that I can get some finances in place to sign up for the additional 30 credit module.

Cheers

It’s sort of up to you to an extent -you are limited by when the modules start and how many you can study in a year.
Most people will study 60credits per year as part time.
Those that do full time will do 120 credits a year.

For February starts you need to be aware that your year starts in February and not all level twos will have February starts so if studying at full time pace you would end up having to take a break somewhere in the middle.

Which degree is it that you are looking at doing?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by GabiAbi84
It’s sort of up to you to an extent -you are limited by when the modules start and how many you can study in a year.
Most people will study 60credits per year as part time.
Those that do full time will do 120 credits a year.

For February starts you need to be aware that your year starts in February and not all level twos will have February starts so if studying at full time pace you would end up having to take a break somewhere in the middle.

Which degree is it that you are looking at doing?

I’ve signed up for BA Economics and chosen my first 30 credit module for part time study, but unsure as to whether i’m supposed to be choosing 2x 30 credit modules to study together and then I have a break between Sep-Jan/Feb
I’ve signed up for BA Economics and chosen my first 30 credit module for part time study, but unsure as to whether i’m supposed to be choosing 2x 30 credit modules to study together and then I have a break between Sep-Jan/Feb

All your first year modules start in either jan/feb or October which gives you a good flexibility of studying.

In general someone studying part time that starts in October would do two modules their first year, then the other two modules the second year. Some would choose to do October starts for all of them, some may stagger them so they don’t have as much workload but wouldn’t have a summer “break” as it were.

All of your level two modules start in October.

Your options would be:

Start two modules now, do the next two in October.
Start two module now, do one in October and one the following feb.
Start one now, start two in October and your final one in feb
Start two now take a break then start two the following feb (these last two options would have you going straight into level two with no break)

All of the above options would allow you to be starting your level 2 in October ‘22 basically doing your level ones over a year and a half instead of the usual two years for part-time. The difference being you don’t get a summer holiday.

Any other option would delay starting your level two modules until October ‘23 without having to do more than part time study.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
All your first year modules start in either jan/feb or October.

All of your level two modules start in October.

Your options would be:

Start two modules now, do the next two in October.
Start two module now, do one in October and one the following feb.
Start one now, start two in October and your final one in feb
Start two now take a break then start two the following feb (these last two options would have you going straight into level two with no break)

All of the above options would allow you to be starting your level 2 in October ‘22 basically doing your level ones over a year and a half instead of the usual two years for part-time. The difference being you don’t get a summer holiday..

This has literally been so helpful, I didn’t realise I would have the option to start the other modules in Oct. I was under the impression because they all say jan/feb start that it was the only time I could actually start them. The “not having a summer break” doesnt really bother me as i’m at work regardless so may aswell get on with the studying too! Much appreciated, its certainly given me alot more flexibility than I thought I had last minute! Thank you!
This has literally been so helpful, I didn’t realise I would have the option to start the other modules in Oct. I was under the impression because they all say jan/feb start that it was the only time I could actually start them. The “not having a summer break” doesnt really bother me as i’m at work regardless so may aswell get on with the studying too! Much appreciated, its certainly given me alot more flexibility than I thought I had last minute! Thank you!

Ah they all say jan/feb as that is the most current. If you scroll down to the bottom of the module information you’ll see that they all have a blurb that says “this module starts twice a year”
Reply 6
Ah they all say jan/feb as that is the most current. If you scroll down to the bottom of the module information you’ll see that they all have a blurb that says “this module starts twice a year”

Just had a look myself, I guess it gives people like myself chance to get back on track to an october start for their second years - helpful indeed.

Just need to decide which way I want to do it, however i’d rather get my first year done in 1 ready for Oct 2022!
Just had a look myself, I guess it gives people like myself chance to get back on track to an october start for their second years - helpful indeed.

Just need to decide which way I want to do it, however i’d rather get my first year done in 1 ready for Oct 2022!

Yes, you just need to watch credits if your were planning to go full time but as you want to study part time then any of the ways I suggested works for you.

Quick Reply

Latest