The Student Room Group

Discuss research into cultural variation in attachment (12 marks) Help please

Hi
I'm in year 12 and I got set this past paper for Tuesday. I am pretty cool with it but my last question (Discuss research into cultural variation in attachment (12 marks)) is a bit confusing.

As far as I'm aware i need to do the A01 (worth 4 marks, right?) and AO2 (8 mars?) and I was thinking about using the Van Ijzendoorn and Kroonenberg’s (1988) study but I am not sure how to explain it I guess? In AO1 do i explain what the study was and A02 do I link it to how different cultures differ from one another therefore we cannot make easy assumptions?

I'm in a bit of a pickle, please help
I believe this is an AO1 + AO3 combo, as it asks you to discuss rather than apply to a stem. That study is perfect for this question - for AO1 describe the study with focus on the different results in attachment types across cultures, then in AO3 consider these findings in context e.g. Japanese babies always being with their mothers, German parents having a different child-rearing style to many other cultures, babies raised in a Kibbut(?) (I think that's the name, sorry if I got it wrong!) and being raised by people other than their own mother within the close circle. Cultural bias is at the centre of quite a few, especially since Ainsworth's attachment types were created by an American based on a British person's research (Bowlby). You might want to draw in one or two other studies for AO3 to either act in support of or against the key study (this can be anything you've been taught alongside which might differ from what I've learnt so I won't specify), and don't forget to link it all back to your question. Hopefully this helps (and hopefully I've told you the right things(!)), good luck answering the question!
Original post by GoldenSugaCube
I believe this is an AO1 + AO3 combo, as it asks you to discuss rather than apply to a stem. That study is perfect for this question - for AO1 describe the study with focus on the different results in attachment types across cultures, then in AO3 consider these findings in context e.g. Japanese babies always being with their mothers, German parents having a different child-rearing style to many other cultures, babies raised in a Kibbut(?) (I think that's the name, sorry if I got it wrong!) and being raised by people other than their own mother within the close circle. Cultural bias is at the centre of quite a few, especially since Ainsworth's attachment types were created by an American based on a British person's research (Bowlby). You might want to draw in one or two other studies for AO3 to either act in support of or against the key study (this can be anything you've been taught alongside which might differ from what I've learnt so I won't specify), and don't forget to link it all back to your question. Hopefully this helps (and hopefully I've told you the right things(!)), good luck answering the question!

That is actually very, very helpful! Thank you!!!
Focus on cultural practices. For example you could talk about parenting styles and techniques. You can write up a concise paragraph about the different kinds of modern families, and the overall effect on the kids etc. Use the information from studies that were done on parenting and then look at a couple of articles on the results of such studies into your own words too.
I would strongly recommend drawing up a flowchart for comparison and analysis based on the published results, and the consequences of poor decision making as well. Make some brief notes. Read beyond the lines of the article to figure out more details on the sort of family, size and so on. Discuss different parenting approaches and evaluate their effectiveness too.
You can even describe and then try to examine how British families behave, what techniques were used and the like. For starters address ways of punishment, and explain briefly reward charts. See if you can find national census data on the number of families. This is a easy enough question once you know how to answer it properly. Make sure to refer to a variety of sources in order to answer the question correctly. Draw on your own life experiences in addition. Try to be concise. Write everything in your own words. Consider things like special needs, distraction methods and other factors like age.
Original post by tinygirl96
Focus on cultural practices. For example you could talk about parenting styles and techniques. You can write up a concise paragraph about the different kinds of modern families, and the overall effect on the kids etc. Use the information from studies that were done on parenting and then look at a couple of articles on the results of such studies into your own words too.
I would strongly recommend drawing up a flowchart for comparison and analysis based on the published results, and the consequences of poor decision making as well. Make some brief notes. Read beyond the lines of the article to figure out more details on the sort of family, size and so on. Discuss different parenting approaches and evaluate their effectiveness too.
You can even describe and then try to examine how British families behave, what techniques were used and the like. For starters address ways of punishment, and explain briefly reward charts. See if you can find national census data on the number of families. This is a easy enough question once you know how to answer it properly. Make sure to refer to a variety of sources in order to answer the question correctly. Draw on your own life experiences in addition. Try to be concise. Write everything in your own words. Consider things like special needs, distraction methods and other factors like age.

Those are very good points, you're right. I will look at those. Thank you!
Original post by Kompleksiara
That is actually very, very helpful! Thank you!!!

No problem :smile: do let me know if you need anything else!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending