The Student Room Group

Is product design okay?

I want to study architecture at university but would they still accept me if I took product design instead of art?
No, product design is seen as a lower subject compared to art. Your better off picking Art. Its not taken seriously at all. Plus, Product Design in GCSE is just plain ****, never wished I picked it.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I want to study architecture at university but would they still accept me if I took product design instead of art?

check grade requirements on uni website or call/email admissions tutor some are specific but generally not , my friends applying this year and she does maths psychology and sociology so....
Reply 3
I study both product design and art at A-level. Personally, I think that if you have an interest in architecture you would enjoy that course although art is often a cumplsory subject for architecture alongside a subject like mathematics.
Product Design is an awesome subject! My sister did Product Design, Business & Economics and Spanish for A-level with a GCSE art background and she got into Architecture with a BBB at Liverpool. My friend also did Product Design, Business&Eco and English ...she ended up in the same uni doing architecture however she didn't even do Art for GCSE, she did graphics :smile:
As long as you have an awesome portfolio and you have work experience, you'll be fine!
Reply 6
Original post by mc_miah
No, product design is seen as a lower subject compared to art. Your better off picking Art. Its not taken seriously at all. Plus, Product Design in GCSE is just plain ****, never wished I picked it.

I did both Art and product design A-level and Art foundation after A-levels. I preferred product design more because it was fun but with art the teachers had favouritism and I feel like they it was just so...open, like just painting or drawing for no reason.

lol ignore this comment OP product design is not seen as lower 🙄

I did both Art and product design A-level and Art foundation after A-levels. I preferred product design more because it was fun but with Art, the teachers had favouritism and I feel like they it was just so...open, like just painting or drawing for no reason.

You can do bsc product design which is more technical and engineering where it opens up many career paths. I used to like fine Art but it's hard to proceed career wise with it, that's why it's deemed the lowest. I'm sure they would accept , as long as you portfolios good, it's much more related than art. Product design you sketch and design things and the same with architecture! It's the same process, I do a product design degree and we work in alongside the architectures sometimes. Art students are in a whole different place, because it's not design.

If in doubt call the uni you wish to apply to or ask your tutors. You might benefit in doing an art foundation after a-levels because you'll explore many different things, not just fine art you like and you have a higher chance of getting in, or work extra hard on your portfolio!
Original post by Anonymous

Doing product design is absolutely fine and because it is a bit more technical than art it might even help you with your architecture degree course. Most universities look at your portfolio and your skillsets so the type of course you do at A-Levels doesn't matter as much as long as you can produce a good portfolio from them. Your portfolio should cover the whole design process: from initial research, through concept development to the finished piece.

At Ravensbourne we offer portfolio workshops to help you get your portfolio ready for interviews. You are welcome to come to them. We are located in North Greenwich in London.

You should also check out our Architecture courses and come to an open day if you are near London.

If you have any questions about your portfolio or about Ravensbourne please feel free to ask.

I hope this helped a bit,

Row:h:
Reply 8
Original post by James244
I study both product design and art at A-level. Personally, I think that if you have an interest in architecture you would enjoy that course although art is often a cumplsory subject for architecture alongside a subject like mathematics.

hi im a bit worried about my a levels i choose art, product design and business but im interested in architecture or product design but without maths do you think i would manage to get into any reputable unis with these choices ???
Reply 9
Original post by Mel6784
hi im a bit worried about my a levels i choose art, product design and business but im interested in architecture or product design but without maths do you think i would manage to get into any reputable unis with these choices ???

Yes you can, I did the exact same A-levels Art, Business studies, Product Design and Media studies, unless you want to do BSC product design you may need maths. With BA Product design just a decent portfolio and taking an art foundation after A-levels may help, as my teachers at the time said an art foundation after A-levels will help you stand out, so I did it, most people who wanted to go into an art and design degree did it, but a fair few just went straight to the degree course which is fine, but I wanted an upper hand in the interviewing process. Although my friend at the time got into doing BA Architecture and in her A-levels she only did Art, Business studies and Biology, so idk if you need A-level maths to get in an Architecture course.

Also i looked back at what i previously said on here and was probably half asleep 🤣
Reply 10
Original post by Afuru
Yes you can, I did the exact same A-levels Art, Business studies, Product Design and Media studies, unless you want to do BSC product design you may need maths. With BA Product design just a decent portfolio and taking an art foundation after A-levels may help, as my teachers at the time said an art foundation after A-levels will help you stand out, so I did it, most people who wanted to go into an art and design degree did it, but a fair few just went straight to the degree course which is fine, but I wanted an upper hand in the interviewing process. Although my friend at the time got into doing BA Architecture and in her A-levels she only did Art, Business studies and Biology, so idk if you need A-level maths to get in an Architecture course.

Also i looked back at what i previously said on here and was probably half asleep 🤣

hahah dw thank you so much for the quick reply i think my next step is to really look at what the entry requirements are like for different university and whether i would actually enjoy the courses :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Mel6784
hahah dw thank you so much for the quick reply i think my next step is to really look at what the entry requirements are like for different university and whether i would actually enjoy the courses :smile:

exactly that! A pity you can't view different campuses atm, I looked at whether the course was coursework based or had exams (as I was terrible at exams and great with course work), looked at location, as I wanted to move from home and be independent, nightlife because of course I wanted the whole uni experience and lastly whether the course had a year out in the industry. I found the perfect course and location and had a chance to actually see it by going through the interview process, best 4 years of my life, however because of covid this whole process may be different for you.

Quick Reply

Latest