The Student Room Group

tesco rejected me but hired my UNDERAGE SISTER

(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sundayblues
I'm 18 and my sister is 16. We both gave in our CVs to Tesco like a week ago. She got offered a job, I didn't. She is SIXTEEN - as in has no professional work experience whatsoever, has below average GCSE grades, and has no extracurriculars. I have EXPERIENCE IN A SUPERMARKET, 8s and 9s at GCSEs and A*A*A* at A-Levels, and I do so many extracurriculars.

Yet she got offered a job with like 30 hours, and I got nothing. Am I being stupid or is this normal behaviour from these companies? She didn't even need to have an interview. They just rang her and said come in for an induction to start training. Like wth!!! I don't get life. I actually need a job so bad as I was laid off from my other job due to Covid, I'm going uni this year so I need money, I need to buy and insure a car, and I have bills to pay. She's literally got no bills or anything, she just wants money to buy clothes.

I probs sound like a right hag for moaning but it's just confusing me as to why she's the perfect candidate and I'm not. ;(

Don’t know if this is for sure the reason...
But under 18s perhaps get paid less?

And if not it could just be luck if the draw-they saw her application first.
(edited 3 years ago)
I've heard of companies not hiring people who are 'over experienced'. If you put on your CV that you were going to uni this year maybe they were worried you'd leave in a few months, whereas a 16yr old would probably stick around for 2 years.

Try to stay positive, everything happens for a reason, something better may even come your way! Good luck!
I'm 18 and my sister is 16. We both gave in our CVs to Tesco like a week ago. She got offered a job, I didn't. She is SIXTEEN - as in has no professional work experience whatsoever, has below average GCSE grades, and has no extracurriculars. I have EXPERIENCE IN A SUPERMARKET, 8s and 9s at GCSEs and A*A*A* at A-Levels, and I do so many extracurriculars.

Yet she got offered a job with like 30+ hours, and I got nothing. Am I being stupid or is this normal behaviour from these companies? She didn't even need to have an interview. They just rang her and said come in for an induction to start training. Like wth!!! I don't get life. I actually need a job so bad as I was laid off from my other job due to Covid, I'm going uni this year so I need money, I need to buy and insure a car, and I have bills to pay. She's literally got no bills or anything, she just wants money to buy clothes.

I probs sound like a right hag for moaning but it's just confusing me as to why she's the perfect candidate and I'm not. ;(

lol its nothing like you thinking.
they randomly pick people, they don't bother looking at your cv's at all.
i know from experience.
Original post by GabiAbi84

i think in my area all ages get paid the same ;( it's just annoying af tbh bc when i was 16/17 with relevant experience they rejected me for being too young but they're hiring a 16yo now with no experience at all :frown:
There's a few possible reasons.
Lower minimum wage for under 18s.
Your application may have appeared overqualified and with access to past work references- suggesting to tesco human resources that you may also be applying to other employers, suited to doing alternative types of work that pay more and will leave their employ as soon as you get offered a better paying position elsewhere.
Your sister may have appeared less likely to be applying for other roles, less suited to attracting a better paid position during her contracted term of employment or may have been recommended by an existing member of staff as a 16 year old temporary worker well suited to a part time role.
Original post by Leonie2101
I've heard of companies not hiring people who are 'over experienced'. If you put on your CV that you were going to uni this year maybe they were worried you'd leave in a few months, whereas a 16yr old would probably stick around for 2 years.

Try to stay positive, everything happens for a reason, something better may even come your way! Good luck!

i've only had one job :frown: i didn't put that on my cv bc last year i did and i was told they want someone that could commit, so i took it off and got a job somewhere else straight away lol.

i hope so, i just really wanted to work at that tesco bc we live in area where there's like a 50p+ location supplement or whatever it's called, so the pay is like £10.50 an hour, whereas i'm currently getting £0 an hour :biggrin: the only companies actually offering me interviews are mcdonalds and subway which are minimum wage which is def not enough ;(
Original post by qwertuyuyuy
lol its nothing like you thinking.
they randomly pick people, they don't bother looking at your cv's at all.
i know from experience.

oh that sucks tbh :frown:

Yet she got offered a job with like 30+ hours, and I got nothing. Am I being stupid or is this normal behaviour from these companies? She didn't even need to have an interview. They just rang her and said come in for an induction to start training. Like wth!!! I don't get life. I actually need a job so bad as I was laid off from my other job due to Covid, I'm going uni this year so I need money, I need to buy and insure a car, and I have bills to pay. She's literally got no bills or anything, she just wants money to buy clothes.

Well she can't accept if you are in England ax it's illegal for a 16 yo to work that many hours.
Original post by GabiAbi84

You’re right, I think minimum wage is higher for 18 yr olds than 16 so that could be a reason OP. It sucks ik

Yet she got offered a job with like 30+ hours, and I got nothing. Am I being stupid or is this normal behaviour from these companies? She didn't even need to have an interview. They just rang her and said come in for an induction to start training. Like wth!!! I don't get life. I actually need a job so bad as I was laid off from my other job due to Covid, I think I'm going uni this year so I need money, I need to buy and insure a car, and I have bills to pay. She's literally got no bills or anything, she just wants money to buy clothes.

I probably sound like a right hag for moaning but it's just confusing me as to why she's the *perfect* candidate and I'm not. ;(

bills to pay? Are you living on your own?
You are massively overqualified and almost certainly going to university with grades like that.
Original post by mintchocchip
You’re right, I think minimum wage is higher for 18 yr olds than 16 so that could be a reason OP. It sucks ik

supermarkets don't pay minimum wage, everyone gets the same base pay, unless youre skilled like a butcher or smth ;(
Original post by yeye21
bills to pay? Are you living on your own?

i pay for my phone bill and contribute to household bills, and i have the odd subscription for stuff
Original post by DiddyDec
You are massively overqualified and almost certainly going to university with grades like that.

how does having good grades mean you're overqualified for a part-time supermarket job? my most recent job was at a supermarket so i don't think they really care about grades that much. and not everyone with good grades goes uni?
Original post by Muttley79
Well she can't accept if you are in England ax it's illegal for a 16 yo to work that many hours.

she's passed the school leaver's age :tongue:
how does having good grades mean you're overqualified for a part-time supermarket job? my most recent job was at a supermarket so i don't think they really care about grades that much. and not everyone with good grades goes uni?

They do care because they want employees that won't move to better things in a few months. That is just how the world works unfortunately.

If I was looking at your CV I would assume you were going to uni, would I be wrong?
she's passed the school leaver's age :tongue:

What year is she in - she has to be in education or training.
Original post by DiddyDec
They do care because they want employees that won't move to better things in a few months. That is just how the world works unfortunately.

If I was looking at your CV I would assume you were going to uni, would I be wrong?

there's nothing about uni or anything like that on it, just past work experience. i got my a levels last year so it would be more likely that i would have gone uni in september. even if they did assume i was going uni this year, even though there's nothing to suggest i am, i don't get why a 7 month contract is too short. :frown:
there's nothing about uni or anything like that on it, just past work experience. i got my a levels last year so it would be more likely that i would have gone uni in september. even if they did assume i was going uni this year, even though there's nothing to suggest i am, i don't get why a 7 month contract is too short. :frown:

Because employers have the luxury of being ruthless when they get 100+ applications for every job.

You didn't answer the question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending