The Student Room Group

Advice on applying for law at Oxford

Hi, I’m a current year 12 student who wants to study law at Oxford. Does anyone have any advice that can help me, especially since it’s hard to get work experience in lockdown, I’d really appreciate any advice!
Original post by AmeliaMay24
Hi, I’m a current year 12 student who wants to study law at Oxford. Does anyone have any advice that can help me, especially since it’s hard to get work experience in lockdown, I’d really appreciate any advice!

Nobody expects you have work experience during lockdown, as you will be in the same boat as everyone else.

Even before March it was very hard to get law work experience, because of client confidentiality.

What you can do, though is get on with some reading and research.

Here are some law chapters from Oxford and and Cambridge Demystified:

Oxford Law with Spanish Law

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6788606

and Cambridge Demystified Law:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6481488&p=88511460#post88511460

I would see if there are any Cambridge uni essay competitions going, just to get yourself crafting and researching a good essay. Also there may be law/cases section in broadsheet newspapers. If there are any aspects of law you find interesting in these articles, then follow up that interest.

Good luck.
Reply 3
Thankyou so much!!
Reply 4
Hi, I’m a current offer holder for Cambridge law.

My advice is to read some books- What About Law?, Is Eating People Wrong? and The Secret Barrister are perhaps a decent starting point.

If you have any questions at all let me know
Reply 5
Thankyou, I had no clue what books to read for law so this is so helpful! Do you have any advice on how to make a personal statement good enough to be picked for an interview at Oxbridge? That’s the part I’m most worried about !
Reply 6
Original post by Mikos
Hi, I’m a current offer holder for Cambridge law.

My advice is to read some books- What About Law?, Is Eating People Wrong? and The Secret Barrister are perhaps a decent starting point.

If you have any questions at all let me know

Thankyou! I had no clue what books to read for law so this is so helpful! Do you have any advice on how to make a personal statement good enough to be picked for an interview at Oxbridge? That’s the part I’m most worried about !
Thankyou! I had no clue what books to read for law so this is so helpful! Do you have any advice on how to make a personal statement good enough to be picked for an interview at Oxbridge? That’s the part I’m most worried about !

My advice on that front would be this: you can’t fake genuine interest. I know it sounds obvious, but in order to be able to talk convincingly in your PS about why you are interested in law, you need to actually be interested in it. That will only come once you have really immersed yourself in it over a period of time. There are no shortcuts sadly! The books listed above are a great place to start, and crime also ends up being an area people read up on before applying because most are familiar with the basics, and there is plenty of press coverage on criminal cases. Is there a particular area of the law you are already interested in now?
Reply 8
Original post by legalhelp
My advice on that front would be this: you can’t fake genuine interest. I know it sounds obvious, but in order to be able to talk convincingly in your PS about why you are interested in law, you need to actually be interested in it. That will only come once you have really immersed yourself in it over a period of time. There are no shortcuts sadly! The books listed above are a great place to start, and crime also ends up being an area people read up on before applying because most are familiar with the basics, and there is plenty of press coverage on criminal cases. Is there a particular area of the law you are already interested in now?

I’m not 100% sure yet as I’ve only covered a few areas of law, but I am definitely interested in criminal law, law to do with equality and human rights, and the moral/ethical aspect of the law. I’ve heard personal statements for Oxbridge need to be 90% academic and 10% extracurricular, I’m just hoping I won’t mess it up when it comes to writing it haha
Reply 9

Hi yes, firstly I would focus primarily on supercurricular activities in your PS, eg activities specifically to do with law. This includes going to public lectures, visiting crown courts, reading books, wider reading in general (eg you could decide to research a case), perhaps writing a legal article too. That’s not an exhaustive list but you should mention doing these and reflect meaningfully on these experiences and explain how they furthered your interest in law
Original post by Mikos
Hi yes, firstly I would focus primarily on supercurricular activities in your PS, eg activities specifically to do with law. This includes going to public lectures, visiting crown courts, reading books, wider reading in general (eg you could decide to research a case), perhaps writing a legal article too. That’s not an exhaustive list but you should mention doing these and reflect meaningfully on these experiences and explain how they furthered your interest in law

I can remember when both sons flirted briefly with applying to Oxbridge law. They used to go to both the magistrates and crown courts. Once they ended up going to quite a famous murder trial.
Original post by Mikos

I’ve got a place on the bar mock trials for next year ( cancelled this year so they are next year now instead), and I’ve entered 3 essay competitions for law so hopefully that can help me !
I’ve got a place on the bar mock trials for next year ( cancelled this year so they are next year now instead), and I’ve entered 3 essay competitions for law so hopefully that can help me !

Sounds like you’re doing all the right things already, well done. Worth noting that Twitter is a good (and free) way of staying up to date with current legal issues, particularly in crime. Human rights etc is not so much my bag but if you want guidance / essay advice on any criminal issues, feel free to drop me a PM.
Original post by legalhelp
Sounds like you’re doing all the right things already, well done. Worth noting that Twitter is a good (and free) way of staying up to date with current legal issues, particularly in crime. Human rights etc is not so much my bag but if you want guidance / essay advice on any criminal issues, feel free to drop me a PM.

Thankyou so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending