The Student Room Group

Which uni for law 2021

I’ve undecided between uni of Birmingham, uni of Sheffield and uni of Law. I’m on for AAA/ AAB at a level. I’ve heard Leeds is the best but I also like Sheffield and Birmingham. Would others agree?
Reply 1
Original post by Mhuds
I’ve undecided between uni of Birmingham, uni of Sheffield and uni of Law. I’m on for AAA/ AAB at a level. I’ve heard Leeds is the best but I also like Sheffield and Birmingham. Would others agree?

Hi,

I'd say go down to each city and see which one feels more comfortable for you.

When I was applying for me law degree I wanted to study in London, once I went there for an open day and felt the city I knew straight away that I don't want to study in London (too busy for my taste).

I ended up studying in Leeds and my sister went to Birmingham, personally I do prefer Leeds just due to the fact that there are number of law schools so gives a great chance of meeting likeminded students as long as you go out and interact with people, join societies, we went to court to watch cases.

Law is all about contacts, it's more about who you know rather than what you know (not saying don't study, still focus but also focus on building relationships with societies, internships, law professors, anyone that can help you get to the training contract).

My sister loved Uni of Birmingham, but she also built a great relationship with students from BCU so she could take advantage of their knowledge as well.

Don't know about Sheffield, never had any connection to the city or their uni's.

Not sure how it works with Covid and all, but if you can go down see the Uni, get the feel for the city as it is mostly down to where you feel comfortable. No point going to a uni with best reputation if you'll feel miserable there and have your grades suffer because of it.

purely my opinion, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Hope this helped in some way.
Original post by Mhuds

Hi! Current University of Sheffield student here.

Thought I'd give my perspective on Sheffield compared to the other cities you mentioned. I live near Birmingham so I go there regularly, and I'd say that Sheffield feels smaller than Leeds or Birmingham. Sheffield is also greener than the other two as there's loads of parks in and around the city. I personally like all 3 cities but Sheffield just felt like home when I went to visit.

I know it will be difficult with lockdown but the best advice I can offer is to go and visit each city really! I know that's not a great deal of help, but I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have about Sheffield :smile:

Emily
- 3rd Year, BMus
Original post by Mhuds

Currently at uni of Birmingham studying Law. I can assure you that you will not be disappointed by the law department here.
Reply 4
The university of Leeds
Reply 5
The uni of Leeds
Reply 6
Original post by AKleins
Hi,

I'd say go down to each city and see which one feels more comfortable for you.

When I was applying for me law degree I wanted to study in London, once I went there for an open day and felt the city I knew straight away that I don't want to study in London (too busy for my taste).

I ended up studying in Leeds and my sister went to Birmingham, personally I do prefer Leeds just due to the fact that there are number of law schools so gives a great chance of meeting likeminded students as long as you go out and interact with people, join societies, we went to court to watch cases.

Law is all about contacts, it's more about who you know rather than what you know (not saying don't study, still focus but also focus on building relationships with societies, internships, law professors, anyone that can help you get to the training contract).

My sister loved Uni of Birmingham, but she also built a great relationship with students from BCU so she could take advantage of their knowledge as well.

Don't know about Sheffield, never had any connection to the city or their uni's.

Not sure how it works with Covid and all, but if you can go down see the Uni, get the feel for the city as it is mostly down to where you feel comfortable. No point going to a uni with best reputation if you'll feel miserable there and have your grades suffer because of it.

purely my opinion, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Hope this helped in some way.

What grades did u get to go to Leeds, my offer is AAA but looking at my teacher grades I think I will get AAB? Are Leeds flexible with offers or would you think I wouldn’t get a place?
Reply 7
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi! Current University of Sheffield student here.

Thought I'd give my perspective on Sheffield compared to the other cities you mentioned. I live near Birmingham so I go there regularly, and I'd say that Sheffield feels smaller than Leeds or Birmingham. Sheffield is also greener than the other two as there's loads of parks in and around the city. I personally like all 3 cities but Sheffield just felt like home when I went to visit.

I know it will be difficult with lockdown but the best advice I can offer is to go and visit each city really! I know that's not a great deal of help, but I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have about Sheffield :smile:

Emily
- 3rd Year, BMus

If you have any feedback on the law school, netball or the best accommodation that would be great!!
Original post by Mhuds
If you have any feedback on the law school, netball or the best accommodation that would be great!!

Hey! I can't say much about the law school in terms of course content etc., however I did once go to the law school building (Bartolome House) for an exam and the building was amazing! Although I understand that doesn't help much so here's the link to the law school page: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/law/undergraduate

I'm not directly involved with Netball but I know the team is fantastic! Here's a link: https://www.sport-sheffield.com/clubs/netball

There are also plenty of opportunities to get involved with course clubs such as the Law Netball Team and the Law Football Team: https://su.sheffield.ac.uk/activities/view/edward-bramley-law-society

As for accommodation in Sheffield, in first year you'd normally live in halls. The most popular ones for first years are Endcliffe/Ranmoor or City accommodation (such as Allen Court or Broad Lane Court). Endcliffe/Ranmoor are a little way out of the city, around a 20-30 minute walk from campus, whereas City accom is 5 mins walk. Endliffe and Ranmoor tend to be the more "party" halls and City tends to be a little quieter as some Post Grad students choose to live in City accom as it is so close to uni. I lived in Allen Court in my first and second years and loved it - the rooms are en-suite and modern and it's so close to uni so perfect for people who aren't morning people! There are other options for accommodation such as privately renting studios etc. but these tend to be more on the pricey side.

Do let me know if you have any other questions!

Emily
- 3rd Year, BMus

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending