The Student Room Group

Best First Car for under £20k for 19 Year old?

So basically , I just turned 19 and I figured it is now a good time to buy my first car after having my licence for over a year lol. I was avoiding buying a car as its a liability and will only cost money and never make money but I have decided to buy a car due to my hard work I have been doing and I feel like I deserve a little treat (not trying to brag but just keeping it real)

I'm quite uneducated on cars, I obviously know about MPG and insurance costs and all that but I have no clue what cars are best for beginners. I don't want something that's too flashy as I don't want to make myself a target lol.

I have allocated 25k of my funds for the car and insurance.
I was thinking of these cars

BMW 5 series
Mercedes A series

But could anyone give me any more recommendations? I come from a pretty poor family which no one drives so they couldn't offer any knowledge except there love and support lol. So if anyone has any knowledge then please let me know . god bless.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anything that doesn't cost that much..

9/10 young people crash their first car anyway.

Get a cheap car there is no difference from expensive or cheap cars other than looks.
Reply 2
If you have £25k, put £24k in the bank and buy a car you don't mind scratching / writing off. I did all my accidents under the age of 25 and having had a nice car once, they are just money pits. Save your money. There are cheaper ways of showing everyone else how rich you are!
Reply 3
Original post by hotpud
If you have £25k, put £24k in the bank and buy a car you don't mind scratching / writing off. I did all my accidents under the age of 25 and having had a nice car once, they are just money pits. Save your money. There are cheaper ways of showing everyone else how rich you are!

firstly thanks for replying!

secondly , the 25k is just taken out of my investment porfolio.

Aswell what kind of cheap car would you recommend?

and just a tip , never store large amounts of funds in a bank. Invest Invest Invest. you can make unreal profits if you try. sorry I know this is out of topic.
Reply 4
Original post by spanker
Anything that doesn't cost that much..

9/10 young people crash their first car anyway.

Get a cheap car there is no difference from expensive or cheap cars other than looks.

firstly , thanks for replying?

Secondly , What would you recommend?

a seat ibiza kinda expensive (like 7k)

or a ford fiesta 2004 thats like £2k?
how tf you got 25k at 19 thats what i wanna know
Original post by FakeNobody
a seat ibiza kinda expensive (like 7k)

or a ford fiesta 2004 thats like £2k?

Both sound reasonably sensible. Personally, I'd go for the cheaper end. I've been out of the UK for a while, but something like a Seat Leon / VW Golf / Ford Focus would be my picks.
Reply 7
firstly thanks for replying!

secondly , the 25k is just taken out of my investment porfolio.

Aswell what kind of cheap car would you recommend?

and just a tip , never store large amounts of funds in a bank. Invest Invest Invest. you can make unreal profits if you try. sorry I know this is out of topic.

I couldn't agree more regarding investments. But if I can offer a nuggat of advice, if you want to flush those massive profits down the toilet, buy an expensive car!

I bought a 14 year old Mazda 3 for £250 4 years ago. Every year it costs me around £600 in tax, servicing and insurance. If it was a new £25k Mazda 3 I could add £3-4k of depreciation to that!

Anything Japanese is bomb proof but will rush. Vauxhalls and Fords are good if not ragged. Basically all cars are ok these days. Definitely look at Seat, Hyundi and Kia too!
Reply 8
Original post by FTheOpps
how tf you got 25k at 19 thats what i wanna know

who said I only have 25k ?

I'm just very very good at predicting stuff.

I predicted the cineworld stock
I predicted the gamestop fall
I predicted the amd stock
I predicted blink (unreal profits from that btw)
I kinda predicted tesla (brought at $156)
I predicted bitcoin
I predicted eth

this is just off the top of my head , I know I have a few stocks that have also blown insane profits but they are penny stocks so these companies are mainly the more known stocks/crpyto That I have invested in.

I will also hopefully buying a property with no mortgage for my parents by this year and thats my ultimate goal.

But again , Im simply explaining how I got my funds. I AM NOT BRAGGING
Reply 9
Original post by hotpud
I couldn't agree more regarding investments. But if I can offer a nuggat of advice, if you want to flush those massive profits down the toilet, buy an expensive car!

I bought a 14 year old Mazda 3 for £250 4 years ago. Every year it costs me around £600 in tax, servicing and insurance. If it was a new £25k Mazda 3 I could add £3-4k of depreciation to that!

Anything Japanese is bomb proof but will rush. Vauxhalls and Fords are good if not ragged. Basically all cars are ok these days. Definitely look at Seat, Hyundi and Kia too!

Thanks for such a constructive comment. I will keep that in mind.

the main reason why I was willing to spend so much Is that I want to enjoy my youth years. more money doesn't motivate me at all because more money more problems lol but seriously thanks for the advice.
Original post by RogerOxon
Both sound reasonably sensible. Personally, I'd go for the cheaper end. I've been out of the UK for a while, but something like a Seat Leon / VW Golf / Ford Focus would be my picks.

would you say a Mazda 3 is a good choice?

thanks actually a really nice car . I might keep that in mind.thanks!
who said I only have 25k ?

I'm just very very good at predicting stuff.

I predicted the cineworld stock
I predicted the gamestop fall
I predicted the amd stock
I predicted blink (unreal profits from that btw)
I kinda predicted tesla (brought at $156)
I predicted bitcoin
I predicted eth

this is just off the top of my head , I know I have a few stocks that have also blown insane profits but they are penny stocks so these companies are mainly the more known stocks/crpyto That I have invested in.

I will also hopefully buying a property with no mortgage for my parents by this year and thats my ultimate goal.

But again , Im simply explaining how I got my funds. I AM NOT BRAGGING

Respect my bro.
What's your opinion on the upcoming PI cryptocurrency? And do you think the current bitcoin bullrun is temporary or will the price continue to rise?
Original post by FTheOpps
Respect my bro.
What's your opinion on the upcoming PI cryptocurrency? And do you think the current bitcoin bullrun is temporary or will the price continue to rise?

1)thanks dawg
2) I don't know enough about it to give an opinion however I have learnt that crypto is best invested in a proven currency. bitcoin is proven and so is eth hence why they will remain the best to invest in as the risk is low.

3) Bitcoin will either hit 150k by march or just stay within the £35-50k range. I would bet on the latter because the coin is being pumped and will eventually start to drop once people see there profits decreasing and just get bored.

the truth is that crypto will never become as big as certain people predict because the government will never allow the virtual currency to overtake national currency because they like to regulate it.

SEC lawsuits are a piece of evidence to my claim. they want XRP taken down rapid and if they succeed then the entire crypto world could plummet but again that's just my level of risk. the risk margin in bitcoin is too large for me to invest personally.

However I have found a way to profit big when crypto goes up . I made 2k everyday for the last couple of days.
Get an older, below 1.4 litre engine with 3 doors (unless you have kids, avoid 3 doors if you do lol). Significantly cheaper insurance whilst you build yourself up :smile: I went for a 5yr old Ford KA and it’s not the fastest or comfiest car ever, but less than £600 for insurance and im 21
(edited 3 years ago)
If you want something to enjoy your youth years and adamant on that being with a car. Why don't you get a cheap run-around and then buy something else you can work on, (if you have a garage or something) minis are a popular project and you can get parts for fairly reasonable prices. I've had the same pug 106 for about 5 years and everyone is always asking why are you still driving that?

My reply is always the same: it's cheap, it works and gets me from A-B.
I use that extra money to travel - hence the next advice.

If you're not adamant on a car to enjoy your youth years then I recommend travelling abroad - when you can obviously.
Reply 15
Thanks for such a constructive comment. I will keep that in mind.

the main reason why I was willing to spend so much Is that I want to enjoy my youth years. more money doesn't motivate me at all because more money more problems lol but seriously thanks for the advice.

A car is a car is a car. It gets you from a to b. Sure you can spend lots of money but most people will only see you as an A hole or a spoiled brat.

There are many better uses for that money. Travel the world. Experience the best food / theatre / art. Buy an experience in a Lamborghini. But don't waste it on a set of everyday wheels.
So basically , I just turned 19 and I figured it is now a good time to buy my first car after having my licence for over a year lol. I was avoiding buying a car as its a liability and will only cost money and never make money but I have decided to buy a car due to my hard work I have been doing and I feel like I deserve a little treat (not trying to brag but just keeping it real)

I'm quite uneducated on cars, I obviously know about MPG and insurance costs and all that but I have no clue what cars are best for beginners. I don't want something that's too flashy as I don't want to make myself a target lol.

I have allocated 25k of my funds for the car and insurance.
I was thinking of these cars

BMW 5 series
Mercedes A series

But could anyone give me any more recommendations? I come from a pretty poor family which no one drives so they couldn't offer any knowledge except there love and support lol. So if anyone has any knowledge then please let me know . god bless.

putting like 20k of that into saving would make you above the median, unless thats all daddy's money then do what you want with it; could probably get a nice x1 tbh
Unless you are going to be doing a reasonable amount of mileage, I don't really see the point of getting a prestige vehicle even if you've got the cash to hand. It's just going to be sitting on a drive depreciatiing. Honestly, just buy anything nearly new, (<30k miles), and it's going to be reliable with low maintenance costs.

Keep doing what you're doing and spread the risk of your investments and get money together for a house.
Original post by spanker
If you want something to enjoy your youth years and adamant on that being with a car. Why don't you get a cheap run-around and then buy something else you can work on, (if you have a garage or something) minis are a popular project and you can get parts for fairly reasonable prices. I've had the same pug 106 for about 5 years and everyone is always asking why are you still driving that?

My reply is always the same: it's cheap, it works and gets me from A-B.
I use that extra money to travel - hence the next advice.

If you're not adamant on a car to enjoy your youth years then I recommend travelling abroad - when you can obviously.

yeah I actually really want to travel but I already have other funds avaliable for that. I like to plan out exactly what I do with each profit I cash out. sometimes I reinvest and sometimes I put it towards spending it on a fund for a house,car,present for family member etc.I again don't wanna sound like I'm bragging.

However I feel that getting a old car might me in my best interest considering these replys so I actually have changed my fund from 25k to 7k for car and insurance.I will be reinvesting the rest of the money though instead of travelling for obvious reasons lol.
Original post by Admit-One
Unless you are going to be doing a reasonable amount of mileage, I don't really see the point of getting a prestige vehicle even if you've got the cash to hand. It's just going to be sitting on a drive depreciatiing. Honestly, just buy anything nearly new, (<30k miles), and it's going to be reliable with low maintenance costs.

Keep doing what you're doing and spread the risk of your investments and get money together for a house.

thanks , Im thinking of getting a seat ibiza with 15k miles for 6k.

and also thanks for the kind words at the end.keep being awesome aswell lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending