The Student Room Group

'verity your age' restriction on youtube

aHHHHH whenever i try watch a video on youtube it won't let me watch it until i 'verify my age'. yeah some of the videos could be deemed 'innapropriate' but most of them are not. how do i get rid of this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cheese toes
aHHHHH whenever i try watch a video on youtube it won't let me watch it until i 'verify my age'. yeah some of the videos could be deemed 'innapropriate' but most of them are not. how do i get rid of this?

Make a youtube account through gmail
Reply 2
Original post by Lacrimosa1

I second that. It never used to be an issue before Google brought YouTube, but now the only way to verify your age is by opening a Gmail account.

It also asks for a picture of your driving license
Original post by Megabat
I second that. It never used to be an issue before Google brought YouTube, but now the only way to verify your age is by opening a Gmail account.

Yes. You need a phone number and you need to make your email and a password that no one can hack. I did it that way. Just heard replying to bot's comments on youtube can get your account hacked.
Original post by Hiro2468

WHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????
Reply 6

Err, it shouldnt...

It doesn't, this sort of thing only happens under suspicion of you being underage I think.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Yes. You need a phone number and you need to make your email and a password that no one can hack. I did it that way. Just heard replying to bot's comments on youtube can get your account hacked.

Google needs to send a verification code to your phone, you also need a username that is not taken, the same on here, and a strong password. You do not need to provide your drivers license, as that would be ridiculous. If you wish to leave comments, just sign up.
Original post by hiro2468
it also asks for a picture of your driving license

what in youtube's name's website have you been on. I am mind-blown. Maybe it's scammers/hackers
Original post by _gcx
It doesn't, this sort of thing only happens under suspicion of you being underage I think.

It did for me but didn't for my other account?? I'm so confused?
what in youtube's name's website have you been on. I am mind-blown. Maybe it's scammers/hackers

Maybe? It didn't ask for it on my other account so I'm confused? They ain't getting no picture from me
Maybe? It didn't ask for it on my other account so I'm confused? They ain't getting no picture from me

Send me link
Reply 13
Original post by cheese toes

I don't have a gmail account, I use a yahoo account for youtube and i have never had any problem with this verify age stuff. I mean once in a blue moon a msg might come up saying this video is age restricted please confirm you are over 18 or something. but once you click yes it goes away and there is no more trouble with it
Original post by ANM775
I don't have a gmail account, I use a yahoo account for youtube and i have never had any problem with this verify age stuff. I mean once in a blue moon a msg might come up saying this video is age restricted please confirm you are over 18 or something. but once you click yes it goes away and there is no more trouble with it

Who am I to judge. That's your way and I totally respect that. :smile:
Original post by _gcx

Actually it does, I had it the other day even though I use google as my main form of everything including payments.
Original post by DiddyDec
Actually it does, I had it the other day even though I use google as my main form of everything including payments.

That's funny, I've never been asked and it doesn't seem like a normal thing from Google's help pages
Original post by _gcx
That's funny, I've never been asked and it doesn't seem like a normal thing from Google's help pages

Took me a while to find the page, had to sift through my history.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/10070779?p=watching_arv&hl=en-GB&visit_id=637494308264317527-3757637285&rd=1#zippy=%2Cif-youre-in-the-european-union-eu-european-economic-area-eea-switzerland-or-the-united-kingdom

All I wanted to watch was "Sweet are made of weebs" :lol:
Put you card details in and they verify it for you instantly
Original post by _gcx

It's a new feature they're slowly rolling out, you need to verify your age to watch age restricted videos

Quick Reply

Latest