The Student Room Group

York Online Msc Finance, Leadership & Management

Has anyone done this course before? How is it regarded by employers? Is it regarded as less valuable than a taught Msc?

Would you say it’s better to go to a lower ranked uni for taught Msc or do the York online Msc for the reputation? Which carries more weight in your career prospects?
Original post by JennieDM_1993
Has anyone done this course before? How is it regarded by employers? Is it regarded as less valuable than a taught Msc?

Would you say it’s better to go to a lower ranked uni for taught Msc or do the York online Msc for the reputation? Which carries more weight in your career prospects?

The University of York is an outstanding university so you know you will get high-quality teaching material and end up with a masters from a reputable university. The bigger issue for you is whether a 100% online form of learning suits you or not. If you are someone who likes social interaction and bouncing ideas off others then the online route will be a very unrewarding experience for you. The students will need to make huge efforts to mix online via skype or zoom and create a virtual social network. There is no hiding the fact that it will be a different student experience from moving to city xxx and living there for a year whilst studying.

Employers will value an online masters in the same way as they would value a classroom-based taught masters. In fact, employers may regard the online route more demanding since a student will need to be self-motivated and go the extra mile to connect with tutors and peers online. The thing employers will look at is where you gained your qualification. A masters from York versus a masters from the University of Grimsby are worlds apart.
Original post by mike23mike
The University of York is an outstanding university so you know you will get high-quality teaching material and end up with a masters from a reputable university. The bigger issue for you is whether a 100% online form of learning suits you or not. If you are someone who likes social interaction and bouncing ideas off others then the online route will be a very unrewarding experience for you. The students will need to make huge efforts to mix online via skype or zoom and create a virtual social network. There is no hiding the fact that it will be a different student experience from moving to city xxx and living there for a year whilst studying.

Employers will value an online masters in the same way as they would value a classroom-based taught masters. In fact, employers may regard the online route more demanding since a student will need to be self-motivated and go the extra mile to connect with tutors and peers online. The thing employers will look at is where you gained your qualification. A masters from York versus a masters from the University of Grimsby are worlds apart.

Thank you soooo much this was really useful and actually helped me to decide. I’m originally a care leaver, I managed to get into my UG degree by the skin of my teeth and then somehow working 60+ hours in a bar I scraped a 2:1 my UG is rated U.K. 79/world 600-800. York is UK 16/World 128. As a care leaver, I really wanted to go up the ranks with my masters.

I would relish and value the taught, face-to-face component more as I am sociable but I have a good social circle outside uni and in the long term, it’s more important for me to break the cycle and ensure my children don’t have the same struggles I’ve had so I’ll go with studying at a better university, even if it means working that much harder. Oh well, can’t have everything!

The online Msc only started in 2018 and so there was hardly anyone to ask and I really wasn’t sure. I just didn’t want my hard work to go unrecognised but your advice really helped me put it into perspective. Thanks again!
Original post by JennieDM_1993
Thank you soooo much this was really useful and actually helped me to decide. I’m originally a care leaver, I managed to get into my UG degree by the skin of my teeth and then somehow working 60+ hours in a bar I scraped a 2:1 my UG is rated U.K. 79/world 600-800. York is UK 16/World 128. As a care leaver, I really wanted to go up the ranks with my masters.

I would relish and value the taught, face-to-face component more as I am sociable but I have a good social circle outside uni and in the long term, it’s more important for me to break the cycle and ensure my children don’t have the same struggles I’ve had so I’ll go with studying at a better university, even if it means working that much harder. Oh well, can’t have everything!

The online Msc only started in 2018 and so there was hardly anyone to ask and I really wasn’t sure. I just didn’t want my hard work to go unrecognised but your advice really helped me put it into perspective. Thanks again!

I have just enrolled on this course to start in June 20. Did you enrol?
How's the program so far with you. I enrolled in September 20
I have enrolled to start in September! Would love to hear from anyone who started on an earlier intake.
I would love to hear what current students think of York's finance course as I want to enroll next year.
How is this course assessed? Through coursework only?
Reply 8
@sandyfeet123 @BrightBlueBecky @AhmedEmam

I see you all enrolled at some point over the past 12 months. I'm considering this course too. How would you say it's going in general? do any of you meet others on the course online zoom/skype to discuss modules or just to study etc?
I've applied for this course as well, but I've been offered the MSc Finance online from Leicester and Aberdeen already. I'm a little skeptical with any masters with "management" at the end of it. Is a full MSc Finance from a Non-Russell group university better for career prospects do you think? I'm not sure.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Best Of The West
I've applied for this course as well, but I've been offered the MSc Finance online from Leicester and Aberdeen already. I'm a little skeptical with any masters with "management" at the end of it. Is a full MSc Finance from a Non-Russell group university better for career prospects do you think? I'm not sure.

@Best Of The West - I've been accepted into the online MSc Finance, Leadership and Management from York as well, due to start March 8th. Been re-thinking my decision to enroll in this; I was primarily interested in it being an MSc from a Russell Group uni for a mid-range cost, although the course content wasn't as finance-focused as I'd like (I share your skepticism about a masters with "management" at the end of it, and I say that already having an MBA). However I've been looking more into the course, and I've come up with a few more flags; 1) it's a relatively new offering so I believe there haven't been many graduates from the programme (based on searches on LinkedIn) 2) Folks enrolled in the similar online MSc Comp Sci programme have complained about the lack of material and delivery (limited to short videos and assigned reading) which you can find on this thread (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5801788&page=75) and 3) I received similar feedback on different forum on the lack of engagement & material from someone currently pursuing the MSc Finance, Leadership and Management, who's personal experience has been "all round positive" but noted "..many of my peers are disgruntled with the service provided.." and "..complaints being made are due to the lack of hands on by the tutors" - so this course is geared more towards those who prefer independent study. Personally, my partner is currently pursuing an online MA in Social & Public Policy from York, although this course is offered by York "proper" and not the "online" York; I had enquired about this before signing up and was told that there was no difference in delivery and that the online Finance course was only being marketed differently. This does not seem to be the case as there are differences in the delivery platforms (Moodle/Blackboard for my partner's course vs Canvas for the online Finance course), as well as course content (my partner's course has weekly engagements on discussion forums, quizzes, mini-assignments, etc). Hope this info helps in your decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending