The Student Room Group

Loreto or Xaverian?

HI,
So i have been offered a place at both Loreto and Xaverian f or 2021 but i'm not sure of the difference and which one to go to as I haven't had the opportunity to go into the colleges and see for myself (covid). Could someone who has been to one or knows anything about them help me our please.
I'm taking Economics, Sociology and Politics.
Thank you
Original post by zoeleigh33
HI,
So i have been offered a place at both Loreto and Xaverian f or 2021 but i'm not sure of the difference and which one to go to as I haven't had the opportunity to go into the colleges and see for myself (covid). Could someone who has been to one or knows anything about them help me our please.
Thank you

Both really good, only downside is the area. I would say loreto is better not studyed at either but know plenty of people who do, got offers and go to a school in Trafford (close to them). I thin loreto has a better rep
HI,
Thank you

I messaged you privately about it x
Reply 3
Original post by 06daraa
I messaged you privately about it x

keep finding you🙃
Reply 4
I study at loreto but have been to xaverian on a few occasions such as open days. From what I've seen at loreto and heard of xaverian I would opt for loreto. The area around xaverian is kinda gross and the campus at loreto is much nicer.
I study at loreto and education wise it's quite good but social wise it's not. The cafeterias are always full during lunch and crowded so it's hard to find a place to sit and eat with ur friends. Eating options outside of the college are a bit limited as well as u only have a 50m lunch break so it's hard to venture out but the closest is asda, a few takeaways, KFC, Mcdonalds whereas Xaverian has the whole of wilmslow road.

Also i study economics and personally i hate the subject cuz i was forced to take it but the teaching is good but theres a lot more pressure to get things done and get good grades compared to xaverian.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by A-Master
I study at loreto but have been to xaverian on a few occasions such as open days. From what I've seen at loreto and heard of xaverian I would opt for loreto. The area around xaverian is kinda gross and the campus at loreto is much nicer.

Same! are u y12 or y13
Reply 7
Original post by lollipoplady101
Same! are u y12 or y13

y13, u?
y13, u?

Same! How u feeling about going back on the 8th
Reply 9
cool! ngl I'm glad, haven't seen my friends in time in being stuck at home is getting boring. Not looking forward to the early mornings tho. how about u?
cool! ngl I'm glad, haven't seen my friends in time in being stuck at home is getting boring. Not looking forward to the early mornings tho. how about u?

yh i totally agree being at home is so boring like ive not got anything to look forward too. i don't have many friends if im honest haha but yh early mornings suck i forgot my timetable and my lessons.
HI,
Thank you

Hi! I’m in the exact same position as you, wanting to also study economics. None of my friends are going, so I was wondering if you’d like to be friends! I’m not sure which one to go to, but Loreto seems much more popular amongst these comments
Original post by pinkdragon19
Hi! I’m in the exact same position as you, wanting to also study economics. None of my friends are going, so I was wondering if you’d like to be friends! I’m not sure which one to go to, but Loreto seems much more popular amongst these comments

I do economics, but i don't think my opinion would be relevant as I hate it sm XD only because I hate internation trade and exchange rates and basically economics but the teachers are good.
I do economics, but i don't think my opinion would be relevant as I hate it sm XD only because I hate internation trade and exchange rates and basically economics but the teachers are good.

I’m scared of hating economics too hahah, I do business at gcse (which I suppose overlaps with economics a little as they’re in the same field) and it’s already getting boring to me so I’m not sure whether to take econ myself, but it’s well valued by uni’s 😩
(edited 3 years ago)
I’m scared of hating economics too hahah, I do business at gcse (which I suppose overlaps with economics a little as they’re in the same field) and it’s already getting boring to me so I’m not sure whether to take econ myself, but it’s well valued by uni’s 😩

omg i was in the same position as you and If I was you I wouldn't take it unless you like stuff to do with trade, exchange rates and politics etc I really hate that side to economics because It's stuff I'm not interested in because it's too compliacted however you should look at the specification adn see if you like what's on it and watch a few youtube videos on some topics. The structure of the papers is just harsh with 3x 2h papers and the marks for each question increase as you go along eg. 5 marker,8,10,12,15,25...
omg i was in the same position as you and If I was you I wouldn't take it unless you like stuff to do with trade, exchange rates and politics etc I really hate that side to economics because It's stuff I'm not interested in because it's too compliacted however you should look at the specification adn see if you like what's on it and watch a few youtube videos on some topics. The structure of the papers is just harsh with 3x 2h papers and the marks for each question increase as you go along eg. 5 marker,8,10,12,15,25...

This is genuinely so helpful, I’m taking 4 so I might just do first year and see how it goes instead - or maybe even switch to business. Those papers sound horrendous though, and I’ve heard the grade boundaries are high which isn’t good at all
This is genuinely so helpful, I’m taking 4 so I might just do first year and see how it goes instead - or maybe even switch to business. Those papers sound horrendous though, and I’ve heard the grade boundaries are high which isn’t good at all

Cant say much about grade boundaries since i’m not even doing exams however i think 50% was a C for 2019? i could be wrong. I would highly recommend doing a easy arts subject like photography or media if ur doing a 4th subject bc for uni u might need an ABB and getting an A in that subject would help u a lot but only do this if ur an artsy person. btw if u fail ur 1st mocks they’ll kick u off the course and you’ll have to do a different course that they give u (you’ll have very limited options like BTEC science or media etc) that’s how they end up with good grades for the college overall so make sure u ace those exams!
Also i was in the same position as u with the no friends so i highly recommend making friends at the start and ASAP. since no one knows u you’ll start at a disadvantage so you’ll have to be super friendly but hopefully you’ll be okay and not turn out like me (no friends outside the classroom :frown: )
I study at loreto and education wise it's quite good but social wise it's not. The cafeterias are always full during lunch and crowded so it's hard to find a place to sit and eat with ur friends. Eating options outside of the college are a bit limited as well as u only have a 50m lunch break so it's hard to venture out but the closest is asda, a few takeaways, KFC, Mcdonalds whereas Xaverian has the whole of wilmslow road.

Also i study economics and personally i hate the subject cuz i was forced to take it but the teaching is good but theres a lot more pressure to get things done and get good grades compared to xaverian.

is it easy to make friends when you start in y12 or are many people already in groups? ive not got any friends going loreto so am abit worried about starting fresh
Original post by jesssl
is it easy to make friends when you start in y12 or are many people already in groups? ive not got any friends going loreto so am abit worried about starting fresh

For me it was hard as i didn't know a single person from high school at all. Most people are already in groups from high school however I recommend joining groups and participating in stuff in order to meet people. Also making friends with people in ur class is kinda common sense but as everyone already has their own friend group its kind of hard.
For me it was hard as i didn't know a single person from high school at all. Most people are already in groups from high school however I recommend joining groups and participating in stuff in order to meet people. Also making friends with people in ur class is kinda common sense but as everyone already has their own friend group its kind of hard.

yeah it looks like they have alot of groups on offer which hopefully will be on next year so i can join a few. hopefully people are friendly there. thank you for replying that helps alot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending