The Student Room Group

first car for a car enthusiast

Ive always wanted a car, ever since i was little (6 years old) and growing up with brothers and male cousins made me obsessed with moded cars from a young age. Ive always been discouraged as its not 'a girl sport'. however i know what i want and i now that i want it ASAP.

i was wondering what car should i look for that would be cheap, under 5k absolute max, be able to insure it without going broke, be able to drive it on highways and at night, meaning engine size above 1.4l and no black box as i wanna enjoy my childhood dream of being able to hop in my car at night and go drive fast on the highway.

i was initially looking at cars under 3000 as id want to add modifications which would bring up the total price, but i cant find much good for my price range.

anyone have any advice on what cars i could look into, i was looking into the polo, too small of an engine, the gold gti, cant find one that isnt in the 30E range for insurance which is nuts, and cars like honda civic are all too expensive.

cars made between 2000 and 2010 are erfectly fine, dont need anything fancy

all i ask for is under 5000 and so i could play my music loud with my friends in the back and drive fast enough on the highway to feel like im not driving a Smart ForTwo hatchback. yuck
Aim to buy a car under £1000.

The make and model are not as important as the price vs apparent as far as you can test it current condition and history.

IE keep an open mind on the make and model and snap up whatever you see as a good deal first.
The Car Throttle youtube channel should be good for inspiration.

It makes sense for you to get a slow car with a small engine, due to to eye watering insurance costs.
Driving on UK roads is an exercise in getting from A to B in plodding safety and comfort. A car with 60 horsepower is quite capable of cruising at the speed limit on the motorways from Exeter to Glasgow.

The only mods that I'd consider putting on a car are a dashcam and a more comfortable driver's seat (eg one taken from a scrapped Volvo) and maybe the retrofitting of cruise control.

If you will have friends in the car quite often, get something with 4 or 5 doors.
Reply 2
Original post by Dunnig Kruger

The make and model are not as important as the price vs apparent as far as you can test it current condition and history.

IE keep an open mind on the make and model and snap up whatever you see as a good deal first.

It makes sense for you to get a slow car with a small engine, due to to eye watering insurance costs.
Driving on UK roads is an exercise in getting from A to B in plodding safety and comfort. A car with 60 horsepower is quite capable of cruising at the speed limit on the motorways from Exeter to Glasgow.

The only mods that I'd consider putting on a car are a dashcam and a more comfortable driver's seat (eg one taken from a scrapped Volvo) and maybe the retrofitting of cruise control.

If you will have friends in the car quite often, get something with 4 or 5 doors.

oh no youve got it all wrong, im talking about body kits, exhaust pipes, tints, coilovers all of that good stuff. and cruising is not enough, i know the insurance is high but im willing to pay up to 2000 to be able to press on the gas and be pushed back to my chair
Yeah I think you need to accept a few extra steps here.

Get an utter cheap crapshack first, and sharpen your repair skills... and make the inevitable rookie mistakes on a car you'll never care about.

If you think a Civic or Golf is expensive to insure, you'll crap your lungs out when you get a quote for a modded car as a young new driver....most companies will hang up on you. (esp as it's all yob ricer mods)
Reply 4
Mazda 2
Reply 5
Original post by StriderHort
Yeah I think you need to accept a few extra steps here.

Get an utter cheap crapshack first, and sharpen your repair skills... and make the inevitable rookie mistakes on a car you'll never care about.

If you think a Civic or Golf is expensive to insure, you'll crap your lungs out when you get a quote for a modded car as a young new driver....most companies will hang up on you. (esp as it's all yob ricer mods)

the only reason the golf was expensive was bc its was modded to the brim. but jeez ,harsh.
Original post by akiakiaki
oh no youve got it all wrong, im talking about body kits, exhaust pipes, tints, coilovers all of that good stuff. and cruising is not enough, i know the insurance is high but im willing to pay up to 2000 to be able to press on the gas and be pushed back to my chair

To be pushed back into the chair requires 200+ horsepower. Or extreme light weight like a Caterham.

The insurance on such a car for a teenager will be £9999 per year. Most insurance companies wouldn't accept the risk. The ones that do charge £10k per year.

It's madness to spend that much on insurance per year. Unless you're a premier league footballer or a billionaire's daughter.
the only reason the golf was expensive was bc its was modded to the brim. but jeez ,harsh.

You're running into the reality wall that almost EVERY new driver does, especially ones that like the Fast & Furious films, NFS ect. It's a shared guilt, we've almost all been there... "Imma have one of THEM for a first car! Wif a big spoiler! and blue wheelz and a really loud fart can!! how much is Nitrous Oxide btw?"... while all the actual drivers listening to you just smile and shake their heads. :frown:

Seriously, the car experience you describe will cost likely 5-10k+ to insure, as said, most won't insure you full stop as you are such a stereotype and there's no getting away from that. UK insurers do NOT like that gaudy stuff. Btw, honest Q, do you have a clue how to prep, paint and install a body kit or how much it really costs? Insane for a first car that you'll rip up quick. Again, I speak from a bit of experience and a guilty set of wasted side skirts cluttering my hall. Likewise, to get a set of coilovers actually better than what's already on 99% of factory cars is v expensive, most are gaudy junk.

To be pushed back into the chair requires 200+ horsepower. Or extreme light weight like a Caterham.

It's madness to spend that much on insurance per year. Unless you're a premier league footballer or a billionaire's daughter.

Yep, Took me a few cars to really appreciate the acceleration of a lightweight car, plenty of cars on the road with bigger than my 4 banger but a far lower % having as much fun i'd wager. Although I do occasionally wonder how many championship footballers wives got pounded out by yoga teachers in my SLK before I got it :colonhash:

Actually OP you should buy a used black SLK with scratches, character and awesome mods. From Scotland. :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by StriderHort
You're running into the reality wall that almost EVERY new driver does, especially ones that like the Fast & Furious films, NFS ect. It's a shared guilt, we've almost all been there... "Imma have one of THEM for a first car! Wif a big spoiler! and blue wheelz and a really loud fart can!! how much is Nitrous Oxide btw?"... while all the actual drivers listening to you just smile and shake their heads. :frown:

Seriously, the car experience you describe will cost likely 5-10k+ to insure, as said, most won't insure you full stop as you are such a stereotype and there's no getting away from that. UK insurers do NOT like that gaudy stuff. Btw, honest Q, do you have a clue how to prep, paint and install a body kit or how much it really costs? Insane for a first car that you'll rip up quick. Again, I speak from a bit of experience and a guilty set of wasted side skirts cluttering my hall. Likewise, to get a set of coilovers actually better than what's already on 99% of factory cars is v expensive, most are gaudy junk.

Yep, Took me a few cars to really appreciate the acceleration of a lightweight car, plenty of cars on the road with bigger than my 4 banger but a far lower % having as much fun i'd wager. Although I do occasionally wonder how many championship footballers wives got pounded out by yoga teachers in my SLK before I got it :colonhash:

Actually OP you should buy a used black SLK with scratches, character and awesome mods. From Scotland. :tongue:

youre describing me as such a hard ricer, makes me sick
aint no spoilers, NO, colourful cars of non of that. bro i just wanna have a completely black car, with alloy rims, new exhaust pipe, coilover to lower the car, and change the front bumper cuz the mk4 golf im looking at looks so basic. you love to generalise, and no its not from watching movies and stuff, its from growing up with a brother who constantly upgraded his car and would always show me the ropes.
aint no spoilers, NO, colourful cars of non of that. bro i just wanna have a completely black car, with alloy rims, new exhaust pipe, coilover to lower the car, and change the front bumper cuz the mk4 golf im looking at looks so basic. you love to generalise, and no its not from watching movies and stuff, its from growing up with a brother who constantly upgraded his car and would always show me the ropes.

I used the word once. You know why.

You're a young, new driver desperate for a fast car to instantly muck about with it in traditionally chavvy ways, like noise, tints ect with a crew of pals to encourage you to show off and crash. you can't deny it's a bit of a cliche. If your bro is such a helpful expert why are you asking us anything?

Enjoy yr day anyway.

A mk4 Golf is a great first car. Reasonably safe and pretty spacious and comfortable inside. Unfortunately the 1.4 and 1.6 engines are a bit meh reliability wise and the gearboxes mated to them aren't great either. See if you can pick up an early VE90 1.9TDI S/SE. They're bulletproof engines and pretty easy to work on. Insurance shouldn't be too insane. Just please don't mod it. Keep it factory fresh. Maybe throw some Montreal II 16" wheels on it and see if you can pick up some GTI headlights/bumpers/colour coded wing mirrors etc. if you really need to mod it. OEM+ is life.

Mk4s are decent cars and they're cheap at the moment but soon there won't be any left because everyone's gotta do sick modz to them and then wrap them around a tree.

I mean yeah, a car with 60bhp can just about keep up on the motorway but it isn't much fun. It'll probably be loud and quite fatiguing, especially since most smaller-engined cars are more designed for short city runs and are lacking in decent long-distance ergonomics. Uphill slip roads can be interesting and long motorway hills will probably see you dropping down to fourth gear to maintain any kind of speed. I've lived the slow-car life and believe me, if I'm going on a long distance trip I'll be reaching for the 170bhp Audi A6 keys over the 75bhp 1988 Scirocco keys.

Even normal A-roads are more convenient with a more powerful car. Pulling out of dodgy junctions onto a fast road is a bit crap in a slow car, especially if you need to pull out up hill. Need to overtake granny out for her Sunday cruise going 45mph in an NSL? No chance. I do love going for a drive in the 'Rocco and ringing it out a bit through the twisties but considering it weighs barely more than 900kg, the 75bhp doesn't feel too bad.
Reply 12
Original post by Nuffles
A mk4 Golf is a great first car. Reasonably safe and pretty spacious and comfortable inside. Unfortunately the 1.4 and 1.6 engines are a bit meh reliability wise and the gearboxes mated to them aren't great either. See if you can pick up an early VE90 1.9TDI S/SE. They're bulletproof engines and pretty easy to work on. Insurance shouldn't be too insane. Just please don't mod it. Keep it factory fresh. Maybe throw some Montreal II 16" wheels on it and see if you can pick up some GTI headlights/bumpers/colour coded wing mirrors etc. if you really need to mod it. OEM+ is life.

Mk4s are decent cars and they're cheap at the moment but soon there won't be any left because everyone's gotta do sick modz to them and then wrap them around a tree.

thank you, super helpful:smile::smile::wink: when you say dont mod it does it include exhaust system, bc i know for a fact thats gonna be the first mod, nothing crazy after that
Think you need to accept that unless you want to spend more on insurance than the car's worth you probably aren't going to be getting any sort of rocket at your first car. Yes you can have a nice first car and yes you can do mods as long as you're insured although as soon as you mention mods most insurers aren't even going to quote you for your first year.

Most new drivers get a black box nowadays. Putting up with having a black box for a year to knock 100's of insurance prices. As long as you aren't doing way over the speed limit you don't really notice it. One year isn't much to put up with trust me.
Second year managed to ditch the box and insurance price stayed the same as first year (way under £1000).
Look outside the box for a first car, can save you £100's. Put in a load of filters on autotrader and see what comes up, it might surprise you.

Keep in mind that often the less obvious choice is cheaper to insure.
thank you, super helpful:smile::smile::wink: when you say dont mod it does it include exhaust system, bc i know for a fact thats gonna be the first mod, nothing crazy after that

Depends what you're after to be honest. Exhaust is a pretty simple bolt on mod so not too hard to reverse - not really a big deal. I never bothered with exhausts on my daily drivers because a droney exhaust (which all cheap ones are) makes you start to go insane about an hour into a three hour motorway drive. That said someone's put a slightly boisterous exhaust onto my 1988 Scirocco (weekend/project car) in the past and rowing through the gears with your foot on the floor sounds delicious. I couldn't live with it every day though.

Honestly I'd stay away with mods on your first car. Mods almost always make the car less reliable and more of a pain to look after. Any mk4 will have a laundry list of small problems which will need seeing to to get it back to good working condition. You're better off slowly "restoring" (for lack of a better word) the car back to factory and keeping it clean. It'll be worth more when you come to sell it and it'll teach you your way around a car without the stakes being too high.

For example - you'll be chasing water leaks into the footwells for quite a while. My mk4 leaked into the drivers front and rear footwells, and my partner's mk4 GTTDI leaked into both front footwells and into the boot. We've *just* finally sorted the leaking in my partner's mk4 after replacing both front door carrier panels, cleaning the scuttle and emptying it of leaves and dirt, cleaning and resealing both rear tail lights, and emptying an entire tube of silicone around the rear lights and body vents. You'll also be chasing dodgy electrics if you ever want all four doors to work on the central locking and all four electric windows to work at any one time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending