The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge - MPhil Advanced Computer Science - Entry 2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FabulousTrifle0
According to an email from Cambridge, there are three application rounds. The first round were given their decisions in January, I believe. They seem to be going through and giving the second round their decisions now. Applications in the third round are apparently reviewed in April. So it’ll likely depend on how recently you had your interview, and which round you fall under.

I had my interview over 2 months ago, and I am still waiting!

Ah thanks! Good to know.

I'm guessing an interview in March would be final around then.

Best of luck with your application!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 21
Cambridge is annoying me.
If they don’t get back to me in 5 days I will withdraw my application and accept UCL’s offer.
Hi i applied for the Masters in advanced computer science for the 1st of oct 2021 intake.
I submitted my application on the 7th of Feb 2021.

My status on the portal says under review by department for almost 6 weeks with no change in the status.

I haven't received any news from the uni.

Is this a red flag or is there still hope?

i am getting very anxious now.

please tell me what to do.
Same here. No further progess until now.
Hi guys, any feedback or interviews for people who applied in Feb 2021?
hi everyone, great to see all ACS applicants in one thread. i applied in December and had my interview in the beginning of January and still did not hear anything
Reply 26
Original post by salim909090
hi everyone, great to see all ACS applicants in one thread. i applied in December and had my interview in the beginning of January and still did not hear anything

Heya Salim, many of us have had a similar timeline to yours, but still no news. I was told that I was waitkisted but that’s all : (

I think that they won’t release any further decisions until all applications are reviewed.

Also, do you mind sharing your background/stats?
Original post by Sfaradi
Heya Salim, many of us have had a similar timeline to yours, but still no news. I was told that I was waitkisted but that’s all : (

I think that they won’t release any further decisions until all applications are reviewed.

Also, do you mind sharing your background/stats?

hi sfaradi, i am in my final year in manchester uni studying cs. what about you?
i did not receive any email about the waitlist but i assume that i am part of it as the portal says under review by department
Reply 28
Original post by salim909090
hi sfaradi, i am in my final year in manchester uni studying cs. what about you?
i did not receive any email about the waitlist but i assume that i am part of it as the portal says under review by department

- Current University: Durham Uni
- Current Course: Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: Achieved 80% in Year 1; 75.8% in Year 2; Expected 1st Class overall
- Prospective Course: MPhil Advanced Computer Science
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Imperial

Lets hope they release decisions ASAP!!!
Reply 29
Original post by cngzlsh
Cambridge is annoying me.
If they don’t get back to me in 5 days I will withdraw my application and accept UCL’s offer.

Do they require a deposit? Cause if not, you can play it dirty and reject UCL if Cambridge offers you a place.

Also, what research group have you applied for? Cause I believe (my opinion) that the chances of getting an offer depends on it.

There are 8 research groups, two of them being "Natural Language and Information Processing Group" and "Artificial Intelligence Group". Many (as in many) of the people I have spoken to have applied to the NLP group, hence being a bit overcrowded. Cambridge cannot afford (in my opinion) to have 90% of students in one group and the other 10% scattered through the rest of the 7 groups. They need to make groups have a reasonable and well-distributed amount students. So if you applied for (lets say) the Security Group then I think (again, it's my logic, no one told me this) you have higher chances.

Let us know!
Reply 30
Original post by Sfaradi
Do they require a deposit? Cause if not, you can play it dirty and reject UCL if Cambridge offers you a place.

Also, what research group have you applied for? Cause I believe (my opinion) that the chances of getting an offer depends on it.

There are 8 research groups, two of them being "Natural Language and Information Processing Group" and "Artificial Intelligence Group". Many (as in many) of the people I have spoken to have applied to the NLP group, hence being a bit overcrowded. Cambridge cannot afford (in my opinion) to have 90% of students in one group and the other 10% scattered through the rest of the 7 groups. They need to make groups have a reasonable and well-distributed amount students. So if you applied for (lets say) the Security Group then I think (again, it's my logic, no one told me this) you have higher chances.

Let us know!

They did - and the deposit deadline is 1 Apr.
I applied for the NLP group as well.
Tbh UCL isn’t the best placed to do NLP, Edinburgh and Cambridge are probably better.
Reply 31
Original post by cngzlsh
They did - and the deposit deadline is 1 Apr.
I applied for the NLP group as well.
Tbh UCL isn’t the best placed to do NLP, Edinburgh and Cambridge are probably better.

Arghhh, I feel you. Then it makes sense if you withdraw from Cambridge if the deadline is that close. Fingers crossed tho!

Also, did you apply to Edinburgh?
Reply 32
Cambridge is half the price of UCL so even if you just abandon the deposit and go to Cambridge you'll still be net positive over just going to UCL
Reply 33
Original post by Sfaradi
Arghhh, I feel you. Then it makes sense if you withdraw from Cambridge if the deadline is that close. Fingers crossed tho!

Also, did you apply to Edinburgh?

I did - and they said they won’t get back to me until mid May so I’m not considering that either.
Tbh I think the UCL programme might suit me better because my background is not in CS but in stats (at UCL). Hope your application turns back positive! Best of luck
Reply 34
Original post by Rojst
Cambridge is half the price of UCL so even if you just abandon the deposit and go to Cambridge you'll still be net positive over just going to UCL

Well the idea of losing money doesn’t make me feel well😓
Hey,

Has anyone here tried emailing to see if there is an update to their application status (a couple of weeks after interviewing)?

Also I’m curious. What would you guys expect to be the proportion of people who are given offers after interviewing?
Do you guys think there is any chance we will hear back soon? Considering that it's the Easter break, I am afraid nobody will hear back for a few weeks.

In case someone is reading this thread who is thinking to apply for 2022 entry, do yourself a favour and apply between October and early November. The waiting is dreadful after that, many of us are waiting for almost 4 months.
Original post by saint_faisyon
Do you guys think there is any chance we will hear back soon? Considering that it's the Easter break, I am afraid nobody will hear back for a few weeks.

In case someone is reading this thread who is thinking to apply for 2022 entry, do yourself a favour and apply between October and early November. The waiting is dreadful after that, many of us are waiting for almost 4 months.

I emailed recently as I have other offers with deadlines to respond very soon. The response that I got sounded like at least going to be another couple of weeks until decisions start to come out.
Just saw a new update on the Gradcafe. Seems like they have started looking into our applications.
Reply 39
Original post by FabulousTrifle0
The offer rate last year was 35%. That's out of all the applicants. They don't release the number of people interviewed.

I'm hoping to apply to PhD programmes next year, and I'm already dreading the whole application process.

True! But does the acceptance rate differ from Home students to International ones?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending