The Student Room Group

Masters in Real Estate - RICS Accredited Course

Hi everyone,

I am working for my local authority within the Corporate Property team in a Surveyor role. As per the requirements of my employment I need to complete an RICS accredited course. Please could anyone share any information and experience which may help me decide where and what course to study?

I understand Reading is a leading institution in this sector?

Thank you in advance.
Original post by SYSTEMSIX
Hi everyone,

I am working for my local authority within the Corporate Property team in a Surveyor role. As per the requirements of my employment I need to complete an RICS accredited course. Please could anyone share any information and experience which may help me decide where and what course to study?

I understand Reading is a leading institution in this sector?

Thank you in advance.

Cambridge (REF), Reading (RE), Sheffield Halam (RE)

in that order of preference
Reply 2
Original post by Buttmuffin

Thanks for your reply - have you yourself had any experience with these institutions?
I'm the real estate course leader at Birmingham City - so I would say come to us, but I'll try and be fair here:

As you've already got a job that puts you in a really good position. Do talk to your employer - as a LA they have probably had people in a similar situation in the recent past - who did they use and why? What time off will they allow you and how does that tie up with any courses? Is there somewhere within easy reach - OK this becomes less essential at part time masters level but is still a consideration.

I think you will find that all accredited courses that are general Real Estate or Real Estate Management will be covering pretty much the same stuff - we've all got to make sure we're covering the requirements for the RICS. I think everyone has pretty good links with industry and will have a mix of assessment and teaching approaches to try and support you.

Now for a bit of sales pitch: I think at Birmingham City University we provide a really good RICS accredited MSc Real Estate Management. We make good use of Birmingham and use live cases for teaching and assessment as much as possible to practice real world skills, we get industry involved where possible to show the relevance and the relationship between the academic and practical components. As and when we can leave Covid restrictions we make use of sites and the RICS regional headquarters in the centre of Birmingham. Our core real estate staff have a good mix of practical and academic experience and we get support from planning, building surveying experts etc. Our part time offering is set up as day release over two years which works really well for part time students. In some modules we also work with planners and building surveyors which helps appreciate their perspectives and understand some of the challenges that occur in real developments.

Do send me a message if you want any more information.

Tim
Original post by SYSTEMSIX
Thanks for your reply - have you yourself had any experience with these institutions?

Yes, I'm currently studying the first one
Reply 5

Hi,
Can you please help me by advising which ranking should I refer to know the ranking of universities in a particular subject? Example- I am planning to do MSc in Real Estate and want to know which has a better ranking in real estate subject between the University of Manchester, Univesity of Glasgow, or the University of Reading.
Original post by Shruti.
Hi,
Can you please help me by advising which ranking should I refer to know the ranking of universities in a particular subject? Example- I am planning to do MSc in Real Estate and want to know which has a better ranking in real estate subject between the University of Manchester, Univesity of Glasgow, or the University of Reading.

For the subject of real estate, the University of Reading ranks the highest

However, for general University rankings, Manchester > Glasgow > Reading

If I was you, I would probably pick Reading if I was sure that I wanted a career in Real Estate
Reply 7
For the subject of real estate, the University of Reading ranks the highest

However, for general University rankings, Manchester > Glasgow > Reading

If I was you, I would probably pick Reading if I was sure that I wanted a career in Real Estate

Thanks a lot for this advice. I've decided to go either with Reading or Manchester for my course. Will that be finr? What if I get an offer letter from Manchester too, should I still go with Reading?
Original post by Shruti.
Thanks a lot for this advice. I've decided to go either with Reading or Manchester for my course. Will that be finr? What if I get an offer letter from Manchester too, should I still go with Reading?

Hey - I don't have a clear answer for you.

Manchester is the (much) better University, but Reading's real estate department is well known to employers + academics.

I don't want to give any advice that I'm not sure of - it's your personal preference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending