The Student Room Group

Funding Postgraduate when no eligible student finance

Hey guys, so basically Ive just enrolled onto an online distance learning Master's course that starts in January. I applied through Student finance Northern Ireland for the very little post-grade funding they provide and only found out after enrolling that the online distance learning version of my course is not supported for funding (The full time and part time versions are and Student finance England also fund the distance learning one so go figure why SFNI won't). I've tried to sort this out with the University and STNI with no luck.

I was wondering does anyone know any other methods of funding (private student loan companys/scholarships etc) that could be worth looking into?

And for reference the course is payed by modules, roughly £1000 per module I do, and I need the initial money to pay for the first in January. I work full time already but since I only graduated last year I'm still paying back loans and overdrafts while trying to save enough to get by. I have also had no luck with the likes of lendwise or graduate bank loans.
Any help at all or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated
Ryan
(edited 3 years ago)
Unfortunately i can't help you with your quest. I just wanted to know how things went with lendwise, if that's not too personal. I'm hoping to use them to part-fund my postgrad so trying to get as many reviews as possible on them.
Original post by Christiana2
Unfortunately i can't help you with your quest. I just wanted to know how things went with lendwise, if that's not too personal. I'm hoping to use them to part-fund my postgrad so trying to get as many reviews as possible on them.

@Christiana2
Hello! I've been working in the education sector for nearly 10 years so I might be able to help. Make sure you read terms and conditions on student loans from private companies such as banks very very carefully. there is no pay back mechanism like there is with the student loan company, where you start paying back when you earn so much - it tends to be you start paying back from a certain date. Martin Lewis' website is usually good for such things.

One thing I would consider is seeing if your course can be extended over a longer period of time, that way the payments are spread out a lot more. This is incredibly common in distance learning at the moment - I know a lot of people who are doing their degree's part time over six or seven years instead. I'm doing my MSc over a longer period of time

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by Arden University
@Christiana2
Hello! I've been working in the education sector for nearly 10 years so I might be able to help. Make sure you read terms and conditions on student loans from private companies such as banks very very carefully. there is no pay back mechanism like there is with the student loan company, where you start paying back when you earn so much - it tends to be you start paying back from a certain date. Martin Lewis' website is usually good for such things.

One thing I would consider is seeing if your course can be extended over a longer period of time, that way the payments are spread out a lot more. This is incredibly common in distance learning at the moment - I know a lot of people who are doing their degree's part time over six or seven years instead. I'm doing my MSc over a longer period of time

Marc

..just to add, i've just been on their website for you, two interesting points of note;

Representative APR of 7.9% (*each interest rate is specific to an individual and your interest may differ)

Up to 6 months grace period available after studies before repayments start (full time courses only and subject to approval)

https://www.postgraduatestudentships.co.uk/organisation/lendwise/1118

Marc
Original post by Arden University
..just to add, i've just been on their website for you, two interesting points of note;

Representative APR of 7.9% (*each interest rate is specific to an individual and your interest may differ)

Up to 6 months grace period available after studies before repayments start (full time courses only and subject to approval)

https://www.postgraduatestudentships.co.uk/organisation/lendwise/1118

Marc

Thank you very much I. really appreciate the advice. Unfortunately i'm doung my MSc in Physician Associate studies so I don't think I can spread it out. Hopefully I'll work find funding that works for me. If you know any other places that offer student loans with a reasonable interest rate, please educate me. Thanks again!!!!!!!!
Original post by Christiana2
Thank you very much I. really appreciate the advice. Unfortunately i'm doung my MSc in Physician Associate studies so I don't think I can spread it out. Hopefully I'll work find funding that works for me. If you know any other places that offer student loans with a reasonable interest rate, please educate me. Thanks again!!!!!!!!

Did you end up using Loanwise, how was your experience? Thanks’

Latest

Trending

Trending