The Student Room Group

Anyone work and study full time?

I am 43 currently taking 60 credits (part time) with the open university. I’m considering applying for Birkbeck for October start and have had a few communications with the admissions team. It’s up to me of course, but I was told “most people” study full time. I’m just left wondering, how is this physically possible? That’s three hours four times a week of classes add on top of the expected independent hours we are expected to put it. Birkbeck advises this should be two hours of home study for every class room hour. So if I disregard four nights a week because I’ll be in the classroom it leaves one weekday evening and Saturday and Sunday in which I’d need to squeeze in an extra 24 hours! Do people really do this or am I missing something? (I work full time and can not afford to give up).

Also, as an adult living in my own rented accommodation (ie not with parents) with just my own income (low) does anyone know whether a maintainable loan would be any different for full time versus part time?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.
The people I knew who did birbeck did also work full time as well and yes did work rest of the weekend.
Taking time off when lots essays due as well.

Maybe you could agree to drop one day a fortnight for work?
Original post by Catherine1973
The people I knew who did birbeck did also work full time as well and yes did work rest of the weekend.
Taking time off when lots essays due as well.

Maybe you could agree to drop one day a fortnight for work?

Thank you for your reply. I was wondering whether work would let me drop a day either weekly or fortnightly but then there is the worry of whether I can afford that. If I knew how much loan I’d be getting would help, but I can’t seem to work that out either, or understand what it’s based on (higher amounts for full time students...is this because they know they won’t be working and if I am working I wouldn’t get this?!) certainly lots to consider!
Reply 3
Interested in this too. I am genuinely struggling to see how I can work and attend full time. It's baffling how people manage it!
Reply 4
I'm pretty sure that student finance have a loan calculator on the gov.uk website, where you fill in your income and what not and they give you a rough idea of how much you'd be able to get, so maybe try that :smile:

Also, just give them a ring? You can also even message them on Facebook and twitter if that's more your style :P
Original post by Tw1x
Interested in this too. I am genuinely struggling to see how I can work and attend full time. It's baffling how people manage it!

Isn’t it just! I’m so torn just deciding whether I’d be capable of full time over part time whilst working full time. It’s 24 hours study I’d need to fit in over Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday. I don’t think it sounds plausible, and I just can’t understand how “most people” manage it!
Surely people attending birbeck are doing it part time? Maybe people do attempt the full time course plus working but what are those degree outcomes?
4 subjects to be done over weekend sounds too much but maybe people have very low level jobs and can study lunchtime/on train to work and then also in the evenings After classes?
Me i have two jobs, 4 children and almost (1 month to go) completed and Access to HE Humanities. I start Chester Uni in Sep.
It’s not for the feint hearted full time study and full time work. But doable xx
Reply 8
Original post by italianlemons
Isn’t it just! I’m so torn just deciding whether I’d be capable of full time over part time whilst working full time. It’s 24 hours study I’d need to fit in over Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday. I don’t think it sounds plausible, and I just can’t understand how “most people” manage it!

I did an Access with a full time bar job but essentially went to college 3 days a work, finished at 5 started my bar job at 6 until midnight, worked all day Thursday, half day Friday and/or Saturday and dotted inbetween. I could not dream of being able with my current job being able to do shifts like that. I think if I go back to studying fulltime I'd have to go back to a job with unsociable hours (mine are currently 8.30am-7.30pm)
Reply 9
I do work 30 hours a week and study full time. My lectures are when we have to attend is on day time and I only work evenings in a hospital. Our lectures are recorded too, so I do watch them at home sometimes to save time from travelling there. Practical classes attendance compulsary ofcourse. For independent study I either take time off work or study between classes or after work or evenings. Got no social life ofcourse except little chit chat at work or at uni. It is not easy and I dont recommend it lol but I am doing it and I am about to finish my second year.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by italianlemons
I am 43 currently taking 60 credits (part time) with the open university. I’m considering applying for Birkbeck for October start and have had a few communications with the admissions team. It’s up to me of course, but I was told “most people” study full time. I’m just left wondering, how is this physically possible? That’s three hours four times a week of classes add on top of the expected independent hours we are expected to put it. Birkbeck advises this should be two hours of home study for every class room hour. So if I disregard four nights a week because I’ll be in the classroom it leaves one weekday evening and Saturday and Sunday in which I’d need to squeeze in an extra 24 hours! Do people really do this or am I missing something? (I work full time and can not afford to give up).

Also, as an adult living in my own rented accommodation (ie not with parents) with just my own income (low) does anyone know whether a maintainable loan would be any different for full time versus part time?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

@italianlemons
I think it does depend on the individual - you seem really motivated which is a big plus.

I am 34 years old, and I am just finishing off my Masters Degree in Psychology whilst working full time, as you can imagine this has involved an enormous amount of research. I would say that it is a lot easier if you understand the mechanics of the subject before you dive into studying, for instance my degree is in Sociology so it wasn't that big a jump. I typically spend around 10 hours a week on study, but sometimes binge at half term (i'm a teacher) for a good few days.

You would probably find that the first few weeks might require a lot more attention to finer detail, such as getting used to using the Virtual learning environment, maybe doing an induction unit on academic expectations, after that you typically have lots of freedom as long as you demonstrate engagement on the program.

I spend a lot of time after work just reading away at my subject, because it feels more like a hobby which has helped. If I was doing a long term course soon i would think about what my life would look like in a post Covid world - would responsibilities and job roles etc. change.

I'm sure you would do great!

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
I study at the Birkbeck (undergrad Year 3 now, 3 evenings/9 hours a week) and many of us are part-timers. The extent of our working hours vary from having no job at all up to full time jobs (I'm doing a PT degree, PT work but I know there are some people in our class who do FT/FT and I honestly don't know how they manage).
As for the hours for self-study, I'm not sure if anybody actually does the recommended 2hours per an hour of contact time, I'm quite bad with that and so are those classmates I know but it does get crazy around essay and report writing times and exams. This year has been particularly hard with home study so if you start next year, you may be more motivated to stick with regular study week by week. Hope it helps.
When I went to Birkbeck people either studied full time and worked part time, or studied part time and worked full time. Doing both full time would leave you with no downtime which is incredibly unhealthy. Don't listen to what they suggested you do, choose what is best for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending