The Student Room Group

How easily do you trust people on the internet?

Personally, I think I trust people too easily (in real life and online) smh. Like I've given my Instagram and my number out to people on TSR (for work related reasons lol), but looking back I think that was a stupid idea and I really shouldn't have done that. 🤦*♀️
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Qxi.xli
Personally, I think I trust people too easily (in real life and online) smh. Like I've given my Instagram and my number out to people on TSR (for work related reasons lol), but looking back I think that was a stupid idea and I really shouldn't have done that. 🤦*♀️

I'm more distrustful of males than females when it comes to online.

In the past it has been males which have leaked my personal information of mine or done shady things not females. (although 1 female did make threats)

I now have strict requirements that need to be met before I give out any personal information to avoid this sort of thing happening again.

IRL i've never had any problems with it. except with one guy (who i initially met online)
he said some stuff about me online thinking i'd never see it but i did. It was done anonymously. I have no proof it was him, but I know it was him ..as it's within his personality (im good at reading people). after he did this i deleted him off facebook and we are no longer friends....
Original post by ANM775

In the past it has been males which have leaked my personal information of mine or done shady things not females. (although 1 female did make threats)

I now have strict requirements that need to be met before I give out any personal information to avoid this sort of thing happening again.

IRL i've never had any problems with it. except with one guy (who i initially met online)
he said some stuff about me online thinking i'd never see it but i did. It was done anonymously. I have no proof it was him, but I know it was him ..as it's within his personality (im good at reading people). after he did this i deleted him off facebook and we are no longer friends....

awh sorry that happened :frown:
Original post by Qxi.xli

No. 1 tip. Don't trust anyone online so I'm not gonna sugar coating the truth. If someone doesn't like you, all they need is say a phone number or social media account and your life is destroyed. The internet remembers everything that you do; apps like snapchat, telegram (secret chats not included), and Instagram record all your personal DMs so now imagine if someone with either links to Facebook employees or technical know how gets ur social media account you can see how quickly u can be 'exposed' or just having your life on show for everyone can screw up your future. I would highly advise against social media but if you must then use non big tech social medias like mastodon so u haven't got all the spooky alphabet people tracking you. Always suspect someone is using you for their own gains as I have all my life experienced this and only over the past say 5 years I've started to understand to not trust people so easily. :biggrin:
Original post by FairyVibes
No. 1 tip. Don't trust anyone online so I'm not gonna sugar coating the truth. If someone doesn't like you, all they need is say a phone number or social media account and your life is destroyed. The internet remembers everything that you do; apps like snapchat, telegram (secret chats not included), and Instagram record all your personal DMs so now imagine if someone with either links to Facebook employees or technical know how gets ur social media account you can see how quickly u can be 'exposed' or just having your life on show for everyone can screw up your future. I would highly advise against social media but if you must then use non big tech social medias like mastodon so u haven't got all the spooky alphabet people tracking you. Always suspect someone is using you for their own gains as I have all my life experienced this and only over the past say 5 years I've started to understand to not trust people so easily. :biggrin:

tysmm xxx I'll remember this :smile:
I also think I need to stop using TSR as much as I do lol since I've put so much of my information on here. :redface: If someone was to go through all my posts and threads that I've made, they would know a scary amount about me :redface:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
I do not even trust the people I know irl, let alone a bunch of people on the internet. There are only a few that I trust, and none of them are not known to me.
Original post by Qxi.xli
tysmm xxx I'll remember this :smile:
I also think I need to stop using TSR as much as I do lol since I've put so much of my information on here. :redface: If someone was to go through all my posts and threads that I've made, then they already have A LOT of information about me :redface:

You could always go through posts and edit them replacing any personal information with misinformation just in case someone tries to come after you; trust me the most random people come up digging through ur online life :angry: lol
Original post by ANM775

How do you know they are female?

There's a phrase to be applied online: Trust, but verify.

There has to be trust to build relationships and find value in the online world, but that trust can and will be betrayed at times so always verify things.

Whatever verify means to you in whatever situation... do that.
You could always go through posts and edit them replacing any personal information with misinformation just in case someone tries to come after you; trust me the most random people come up digging through ur online life :angry: lol

ahhh there's too many postss :frown: I really want to do that but it would take hours :frown: I have more than 6000 posts ughh

Original post by E I O N
I do not even trust the people I know irl, let alone a bunch of people on the internet. There are only a few that I trust, and none of them are not known to me.

so you don't trust anyone?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Qxi.xli
ahhh there's too many postss :frown: I really want to do that but it would take hourss:frown:

The way I would look at it is that it would take a lot more hours probably days to solve if someone tried to or actually went full out to cyber attack you. :redface:
Edit : I have been stalked online before so I personally nowadays don't give out real information or at least its not 100%. Never use real names, always make birth date slightly off to your actual date so maybe change month and day. Then ofc you shouldn't give out phone numbers, socials or any other personal information.
(edited 3 years ago)
The way I would look at it is that it would take a lot more hours probably days to solve if someone tried to or actually went full out to cyber attack you. :redface:

In a year or so I might just completely delete this account then lol
Reply 11
Ever since I got lured on Runescape, well... :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by Qxi.xli
ahhh there's too many postss :frown: I really want to do that but it would take hours :frown: I have more than 6000 posts ughh

so you don't trust anyone?

Only my close relatives. The other people I have a second opinion about.
Takes a while. But... no risk, no reward.

Just be careful what you share, that's all. Pictures of you can be used in a reverse-image search through google to find images that even just look similar, track down other potential online accounts you might have with other websites where you have uploaded those images, etc. Some websites have better password security than others, and others have worse. Someone determined enough, stands a good chance of getting in, if your passwords are shet and they know enough personal information about you.

All my passwords are unf**withable though. And I post hardly any images of myself online anyway. So... even if I do trust someone online, and I was wrong to... they will not get very far at all. Best odds would be to somehow infect my smartphone or laptop with malware, but I'm just not stupid enough to fall for shoddily worded text messages and strange looking website domains.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
Edit : I have been stalked online before so I personally nowadays don't give out real information or at least its not 100%. Never use real names, always make birth date slightly off to your actual date so maybe change month and day. Then ofc you shouldn't give out phone numbers, socials or any other personal information.

tbh I doubt she'll have much trouble.

In my experience 9 times out of 10 i've had issues with people doing stuff like this is because we've had somewhat heated to very heated disagreements... and they've done it to get back at me. Only once it happened completely out of the blue with no disagreement... and that was with the guy i met online and became friends with IRL (we did not have a disagreement)

It's typically males as well who will do this in my experience ... although 1 or 2 females can sometimes do it as well.

The OP doesn't tend to get into conflicts online so i doubt it will happen to her.
Of course anything is possible, so i'd never say never.. but in my opinion she's low risk.
(edited 3 years ago)

:O. Hope you're ok x That sounds so scary.
I might just start posting some false info about me from now on lolll
The only thing that's stopping me from just deleting this account is that I've made some friends on here :frown: I just wish TSR had the option where people can't see all your posts in one go.

Original post by NonIndigenous
Takes a while. But... no risk, no reward.

Just be careful what you share, that's all. Pictures of you can be used in a reverse-image search through google to find images that even just look similar, track down other potential online accounts you might have with other websites where you have uploaded those images, etc. Some websites have better password security than others, and others have worse. Someone determined enough, stands a good chance of getting in, if your passwords are shet and they know enough personal information about you.

All my passwords are unf**withable though. And I post hardly any images of myself online anyway. So... even if I do trust someone online, and I was wrong to... they will not get very far at all. Best odds would be to somehow infect my smartphone or laptop with malware, but I'm just not stupid enough to fall for shoddily worded text messages and strange looking website domains.

yep:smile:
I don't give any personal information online unless I can be 100% certain that you won't be a **** and leak my personal info. When it comes to TSR, there is only one person that knows my true identity but then again I met him in person before so he is not really an online person lol
Original post by Qxi.xli
In a year or so I might just completely delete this account then lol

Would be much cooler imo if you had misinformation spread out all over the internet. Oh, I wanna find out about your religious beliefs well... The internet says your christian but your actually Islamic. Maybe the internet says you support a different political party compared to the one you actually do. I say if your going to talk anything other than say gardening like politics, religion etc then avoid linking it to yourself at all costs since this data in the hands of data companies and big tech can do spooky things like
A. Use your personal vulnerabilities to manipulate u to buy certain things (Example being showing you posts, accounts, ads etc to make u have bad body image then promoting you plastic surgery. This happens quite a lot but Facebook doesn't care if you get suicidal and have body image issues if it means they make extra $$$)(yes, I use a US keyboard layout im sorry)
B. Bad actors can stalk you online and monitor all your actions to attack you in a large variety of ways, some include along the lines of what I've said above. Others could be more personal day to day life attacks such as predicting your thoughts; this is a real thing where AI has so much data about you it knows who ur gonna talk to, what songs your gonna play, what food your craving, whether your on your period, what time you get home. Just really unnecessary information that can be used to manipulate you. Soon it will be like ooo. The data about your poo size and weight is readily available for data companies lmao
Hm I need to think about that. If you want you can have my socials or number to ask again later.
I don't really speak to people online 1 to 1 so it's not an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest