The Student Room Group

Uni Requirements

I’m currently studying a BTEC level 3 National Diploma for 3 years, a course for uni requires 112 Tarrif points although my course gives me 36 points for a pass, will I still be able to get into uni with this qualification? I will be 20 by the time I submit or could be worth waiting a year when i’m classed as a mature student.
So you need 112 points
But your course only gives you 36?

Is that correct?
Reply 2
Original post by GabiAbi84
So you need 112 points
But your course only gives you 36?

Is that correct?

Yes correct, the uni course says they accept BTEC national diplomas although the entry requirement points are 112
Original post by bk1111
Yes correct, the uni course says they accept BTEC national diplomas although the entry requirement points are 112

What is the name of the qualification your taking just now?
Reply 4
What is the name of the qualification your taking just now?

Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment. For 3 years
Original post by bk1111
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment. For 3 years

And what grade do you have/expected to have in it?
Reply 6
And what grade do you have/expected to have in it?

Not sure yet, the lowest is a pass but i’m aiming for a merit
Original post by bk1111
Not sure yet, the lowest is a pass but i’m aiming for a merit

Looks like a PP gives you 32 ucas points, and a D*D* gives you 112 ucas points.

Does the university course you want to do give a grade you need to achieve on your BTEC for them?
Reply 8
Looks like a PP gives you 32 ucas points, and a D*D* gives you 112 ucas points.

Does the university course you want to do give a grade you need to achieve on your BTEC for them?

It says typical offers Tariff points: 112 and then at the bottom BTEC Diploma: No specific subjects required
Original post by bk1111
It says typical offers Tariff points: 112 and then at the bottom BTEC Diploma: No specific subjects required

Do you have a link there?
Original post by bk1111
I’m currently studying a BTEC level 3 National Diploma for 3 years, a course for uni requires 112 Tarrif points although my course gives me 36 points for a pass, will I still be able to get into uni with this qualification? I will be 20 by the time I submit or could be worth waiting a year when i’m classed as a mature student.

Hi bk1111

The entry requirements will differ between institutions and different courses, but a level three BTEC will certainly get you somewhere. My son has just accepted an offer from UEA to study there and he has a BTEC. Have a research into courses you are interested in and look at the individual University websites as well. You may have a great personal statement which will help as well, I am a mature student and had no A Levels or similar qualifications but had lots of work and life experience! Certainly here at Hull, the admissions tutors are flexible with potential students who can show real interest in the subject.

Best of luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Rep
Reply 11
Do you have a link there?

Just found a foundation one that requires 72 https://courses.uwe.ac.uk/K44F/real-estate-with-foundation-year
Reply 12
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hi bk1111

The entry requirements will differ between institutions and different courses, but a level three BTEC will certainly get you somewhere. My son has just accepted an offer from UEA to study there and he has a BTEC. Have a research into courses you are interested in and look at the individual University websites as well. You may have a great personal statement which will help as well, I am a mature student and had no A Levels or similar qualifications but had lots of work and life experience! Certainly here at Hull, the admissions tutors are flexible with potential students who can show real interest in the subject.

Best of luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Rep

Thank you, was your son's BTEC 3 years long?
Original post by bk1111
Thank you, was your son's BTEC 3 years long?

Two years of Graphic Design and now he will study History with a foundation year because it is a different discipline. He got offers from other places too.
Original post by bk1111
Just found a foundation one that requires 72 https://courses.uwe.ac.uk/K44F/real-estate-with-foundation-year

So for that one you will have to gain a DM final grade unless you have other qualifications that will give you UCAS marks also?
Reply 15
So for that one you will have to gain a DM final grade unless you have other qualifications that will give you UCAS marks also?

I’m pretty sure, unless they take into account i’ve done an extra year and it’s a BTEC
Original post by bk1111
I’m pretty sure, unless they take into account i’ve done an extra year and it’s a BTEC

Is it an extended diploma?
What was your extra year for- a resit or did you change course? You
Reply 17
Is it an extended diploma?
What was your extra year for- a resit or did you change course? You

It’s not and extended diploma, not sure why it’s an extra year
Original post by bk1111
It’s not and extended diploma, not sure why it’s an extra year

Well basically the first courses you were looking at you would need to have achieved a D*D* to get the points it requires, for the one with a foundation year it will need you to active a DM -this is assuming the information you have given is correct.
I don’t know what the extra year was for either so you may be best asking your course provider/tutor what qualifications you will and up with and then contacting the Uni to ask if they accept it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending