The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge - MPhil Advanced Computer Science - Entry 2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BritishPotato
I am currently on the waitlist yes. I was told that I was so since mid-february, waiting ever since. I find the fact that you weren't told whether you're on the waitlist or not odd; however, I would reason that you would be on it. Otherwise you would have been notified of a rejection no? What does your applicant portal say? Mine still says "under review".

That is very interesting, at least now we know the length of the waitlist. The natural next question is how many places are left. If it's a mere 1-2, then I'd say it's a bit disingenuous to keep so many of us hopeful. Since we've seen two users here who seemingly got an offer very recently, I'm also wondering whether we're just waiting for a mass rejection. That's at least what Oxford did for this year. Nevertheless I wish everyone good luck in the next couple days. <3

Yep, mine still says under review. But a reply I got from admissions this afternoon mentioned nothing about a waiting list. Just that they are aiming to release final decisions out next week. Being on a waiting list looks promising for you guys though!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
I am currently on the waitlist yes. I was told that I was so since mid-february, waiting ever since. I find the fact that you weren't told whether you're on the waitlist or not odd; however, I would reason that you would be on it. Otherwise you would have been notified of a rejection no? What does your applicant portal say? Mine still says "under review".

That is very interesting, at least now we know the length of the waitlist. The natural next question is how many places are left. If it's a mere 1-2, then I'd say it's a bit disingenuous to keep so many of us hopeful. Since we've seen two users here who seemingly got an offer very recently, I'm also wondering whether we're just waiting for a mass rejection. That's at least what Oxford did for this year. Nevertheless I wish everyone good luck in the next couple days. <3

The fact that I dont think I've seen any flat out rejections (just waiting list replies) worries me a bit. Ive only seen 1 or 2 offers though so I'm still hoping lol. I feel rejections should be given out quickly. It seems more humane haha. If you're gonna make people wait months, just to reject them, it seems a bit sadistic.
Original post by randoman
The fact that I dont think I've seen any flat out rejections (just waiting list replies) worries me a bit. Ive only seen 1 or 2 offers though so I'm still hoping lol. I feel rejections should be given out quickly. It seems more humane haha. If you're gonna make people wait months, just to reject them, it seems a bit sadistic.

Note the bias in our sample though, people who are currently waitlisted are more likely to comment on this thread than those rejected, who can actually move on. I've also seen a couple rejections in other threads I believe. As cruel as the situation may be, I recommend just putting your head down with work at this point since we have no control over our status. Having waited 3-4 months for a reply, I think we can handle waiting for another week or two.
Reply 83

I need to accept my Cornell offer TODAY! So was really hoping to hear something back now. But I guess all we can do is wait! I’m positive we’ll have something latest by next week
(edited 2 years ago)
Note the bias in our sample though, people who are currently waitlisted are more likely to comment on this thread than those rejected, who can actually move on. I've also seen a couple rejections in other threads I believe. As cruel as the situation may be, I recommend just putting your head down with work at this point since we have no control over our status. Having waited 3-4 months for a reply, I think we can handle waiting for another week or two.

That's true, not many would bother coming to forums after a rejection. It's easy to worry about it, but the best thing to do is just as you say: work :smile:
So while waiting I'll just make sure that If I get an offer, I'll definitely meet it!
Reply 85
Original post by xxbolt_
I need to accept my Cornell offer TODAY! So was really hoping to hear something back now. But I guess all we can do is wait! I’m positive we’ll have something latest by next week

I'm still waiting for answer and its stressful, but it would be so much more with an exploding offer. Did you take Cornell in the end?
Reply 86
Original post by Rojst
I'm still waiting for answer and its stressful, but it would be so much more with an exploding offer. Did you take Cornell in the end?

Yup I did! It’s a good course so I’m not too fussed! NYC is also pretty exciting for me as an international student...already did the U.K. thing for undergrad
Hey,
Has anyone recently emailed admission about the possible results date? How likely is it that we get it this week?
Original post by justo123
Hey,
Has anyone recently emailed admission about the possible results date? How likely is it that we get it this week?

I got this email back last week:

Dear [me lol],

The MPhil Admissions Panel hopes to have a final decision on MPhil applicants by the end of this week so you should hear back from us next week at the latest.

Sincerely,
[idk if i should share the name of the admissions person. internet privacy etc]

I think that means their aim is this week, but the language suggests that it's not 1000% definitely this week.
Anyone got any response this week from the admission ?
At this rate we will have to wait until July 🙃
Reply 91
Original post by justo123
At this rate we will have to wait until July 🙃

Yh better off accepting your other offers peeps…COVID will be a thing of old before we hear back from these guys
Reply 92
I got my rejection on Wednesday :smile: No interview, applied just before the deadline.
I find it funny that we had to pay 70 pounds when applying to receive a positive admissions experience 😂
Reply 94
is there any group for offer holders for acs or postgrad in general?
Original post by Rojst
is there any group for offer holders for acs or postgrad in general?

Did you get an offer in the past week?
Reply 96
Moved to pao recently
Original post by Rojst
Moved to pao recently

How recently?
Reply 98
Just got my rejection confirmed by email…I emailed Lise Gough, CL, Cambridge directly and she sent back a decision about two hours later.

The Admissions Panel reviewed over 540 applications over several rounds. The Panel re-examined 120 applications of which 70 were placed on its final ‘wait list’; your application was one of these. However, I must regretfully inform you that, after considerable reflection, we have been unable to recommend you for a place on the course for 2021-22.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 99
Does anyone see “under review by degree committee” in their portal? Is it any different to “under review by department?
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending