The Student Room Group

Stop £200 million being spent on Royal yacht

Tax payers money is about to be used to commission a Royal Yacht after the NHS staff were denied a proper pay rise on the basis of no available money. Surely public money cannot be spent in this way, it seems ludicrous that while discussions about raising taxes to pay for Covid are happening, that so much money is to be spent on a luxury for only a privileged few elites to enjoy. The line about improving the British brand globally wont wash with me as the are not selling a product, everyone knows who Britain is as they have already colonised the planet and raped them of their resources. #
SIGN THE PETITION against the royal yacht:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/584822

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Now this is something I can get behind
Reply 2
To be fair. Giving £200 million to the NHS staff as a pay rise equates to about £1.80 each. I reckon at that rate, a Royal Yacht is good value for money especially if used to wine and dine twisted foreign dictators, dodgy moguls and autocrats who like investing in UK PLC so much.
£200 million is the start. I work on ships and know how much they cost to run. Ive been on s And just because it doesnt directly equate to a big pay rise doesnt mean the money should be spent. There are so many better ways to invest public money and now is not the time to be commissioning yachts. The said the same when spending a fortune repainting a plane the other year and at a certain point I think people need to draw the line as it all adds up. Serious double standard with the tories that needs addressed.
The government reading through petitions on the site the government set up specifically for this purpose:

Reply 5
Original post by questionnaire98
Tax payers money

Given we have a honking deficit, surely it's being paid for by monetary financing rather than by taxpayers?
Reply 6
£200 million is the start. I work on ships and know how much they cost to run.

You work on ships but don't think ships should be built?

Turkey and Christmas springs to mind.
I think as he's the Duke of Edinburgh the money should be taken purely from Scottish Taxpayers.

All five of them :tongue:
Whether its finance or not it is the tax payer that ultimately has to pay. And yes I work on ships so know for a fact that British shipbuilding is a thing of the past in terms of competing with China (cheap), north west European shipbuilders (Holland & Germany etc.), or some of the best shipbuilders in the world such as the japanese and koreans. The reason I dont want it built is because there is absolutely no need for it and £200 million is a lot of money which could be earmarked for more important issues than commemorating a dead facist.
Original post by Quady
You work on ships but don't think ships should be built?

Turkey and Christmas springs to mind.

And as it will be staffed by the royal navy, it will serve no benefit to me other than another ship to avoid manned by clueless ****tards who have no seamanship
I can't understand why conservatives aren't tripping over themselves with offers to funding the yacht privately.

Not only would it allow your esteemed monarch the opportunity to travel in the luxury befitting our great nation but it would really show those lefties what patriotism means.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Contested Claim
I can't understand why conservatives aren't tripping over themselves with offers to funding the yacht privately.

Not only would it allow your esteemed monarch the opportunity to travel in the luxury befitting our great nation but it would really show those lefties what patriotism means.

Sure why would conservatives fund anything when they can waste the tax payers money on it instead. Chances are that the contracts will be going to their rich mates anyway so who cares as long as the tory scum get their cut
Reply 12
And as it will be staffed by the royal navy, it will serve no benefit to me other than another ship to avoid manned by clueless ****tards who have no seamanship

And more income tax revenue for Scottish public services.
Reply 13
Sure why would conservatives fund anything when they can waste the tax payers money on it instead. Chances are that the contracts will be going to their rich mates anyway so who cares as long as the tory scum get their cut

Why would taxpayers pay for it?

They didn't pay for furlough and this is much cheaper.
Tax payers money is about to be used to commission a Royal Yacht after the NHS staff were denied a proper pay rise on the basis of no available money. Surely public money cannot be spent in this way, it seems ludicrous that while discussions about raising taxes to pay for Covid are happening, that so much money is to be spent on a luxury for only a privileged few elites to enjoy. The line about improving the British brand globally wont wash with me as the are not selling a product, everyone knows who Britain is as they have already colonised the planet and raped them of their resources. #
SIGN THE PETITION against the royal yacht:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/584822

1) The cost of a 1% pay rise is £500m and to be paid per year.

2) The cost of a ship (which will apparently have private funding) is at best £200m to the taxpayer but is a one off divisable over several years.

3) The pay rise is for the current fiscal year during which no payment towards the ship will be made (next year at the earliest).

In short, it's a highly flawed argument on those grounds alone.

The rest of your post is of course also highly spurious but i gave you the respect of an answer (the basis of the last sentence suggests i must be in a good mood to have not ignored your thread for that).
You are mental to think that it is fine to spend money that isn't there on things like royal yachts. Unnecessary things that serve no purpose other than to cater to the wishes of an elite few should not be bought at least until the deficit is cleared. You can make the point of how much an NHS pay rise costs, but this is an ethical question more than anything. Cutting foreign aid, NHS funding while Boris is doing dodgy flat refurbishments, buying royal yachts is simply wrong and not even to mention that the UK still have an aircraft carrier without any aircraft. You lot are clearly right wing fascists who have never understood what it's like to go days without affording food so you will not understand empathy for the working class and how ridiculous it is to see tax money being spent on such thing. However little you try to make it seem, it is a big problem and all adds up
I don't know anybody who wants this. tory or labour. it's so ridiculous
Reply 17
You are mental to think that it is fine to spend money that isn't there on things like royal yachts. Unnecessary things that serve no purpose other than to cater to the wishes of an elite few should not be bought at least until the deficit is cleared. You can make the point of how much an NHS pay rise costs, but this is an ethical question more than anything. Cutting foreign aid, NHS funding while Boris is doing dodgy flat refurbishments, buying royal yachts is simply wrong and not even to mention that the UK still have an aircraft carrier without any aircraft. You lot are clearly right wing fascists who have never understood what it's like to go days without affording food so you will not understand empathy for the working class and how ridiculous it is to see tax money being spent on such thing. However little you try to make it seem, it is a big problem and all adds up

Why is that mental?

One can disagree with the austerity of public sector pay (right wing fascist Sturgeon is only giving my other half a 1% rise too) and disagree with cutting foreign aid yet not be against increasing public spending in other areas such as royal yachts.

I dont see how the working class grafters needed to build it are better off with one fewer ship being commissioned.
Reply 18
A floating embassy to project British interests and influence around the world is no bad thing. Many foreign diplomats thought the scrapping of the original Royal Yacht was madness.
Original post by Renner
A floating embassy to project British interests and influence around the world is no bad thing. Many foreign diplomats thought the scrapping of the original Royal Yacht was madness.

And yet we somehow managed for 24 years without one.

It is strange that in a time of cheap air travel and zoom calls, we suddenly need one.

It is also perplexing how the majority of other countries manage to project their interests and influence without the use of royal or presidential yachts.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending