The Student Room Group

Experience and Having an Income Whilst Studying

Hopefully, by September I'll be doing an Access Nursing course, then do a BSc Nursing. I would like to not just rely on savings, bursaries and income support.

What's the best way for me to get some cashflow going and get experience?

Bank Nurse/HCA work seems the most recommended route, but how? Who do I go to?
Not relating to your question but what gcses and a levels did u get as I really want to do nursing but my gcses Iv failed I lit only have 3 gcses that is a C and a levels I’m going to try to do if my sixth form allow me I’m in year 12 I honestly don’t know what to do? Would appreciate it if u would reply🥺
Reply 2
Original post by ValeciaCho
Hopefully, by September I'll be doing an Access Nursing course, then do a BSc Nursing. I would like to not just rely on savings, bursaries and income support.

Yes, bank HCA is your best option. Find the bank jobs - and any NHS jobs- here https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/ . You'll need to look for jobs based at the hospital trust local to whichever uni you're studying at.

Original post by Needyherapyhilol
Not relating to your question but what gcses and a levels did u get as I really want to do nursing but my gcses Iv failed I lit only have 3 gcses that is a C and a levels I’m going to try to do if my sixth form allow me I’m in year 12 I honestly don’t know what to do? Would appreciate it if u would reply🥺

Ask the 6th form. BTW there's loads of other threads on this topic that would be more relevant for you to ask this in.
Reply 3

For nursing, you need a GCSE in maths and English (some universities accept lit or lang, some are more specific), or equivalent. A level requirements tend to be in the BBB-BBC range, but varies according to the university you want to go to. BTECs and other A level equivalents are also accepted
Reply 4
Original post by ValeciaCho

The NHS jobs website lists bank jobs (as linked in a reply above) or NHS Professionals (some trusts recruit bank workers through here - https://www.nhsprofessionals.nhs.uk)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5

********Disclaimer********
I've posted the requested info below
BUT
Consider this: I would like to give a practical answer here, but I'm 34 and am trying for a career change. After yrs of bashing my face against a brick wall and not going anywhere.
Do a degree, a vocation, PGCE or whatever because it's what you want. Consider other career options.
If you want to do nursing and don't have the grades, consider doing a nursing apprenticeship.

Also, yes to what @Emily_B said. Am totally happy to pass on whatever research on things nursing related, but have a try with a more general thread to weigh out your options.

Good luck :smile: xx

GCSE's:
English language- C
Double Science- BB
Maths- B
French- C
Spanish- C

AS-levels:
Physics- B
Chemistry- C

A-levels:
Maths- A
Biology- D

BSc Maths- Pass
Thankyou so much I really appreciate your advice! And good luck to your career! Xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending