The Student Room Group

What if I fail to meet UCL conditions plus should I go to Kings?

I am a student from Hong Kong. I applied to M100 LLB. The conditions UCL gave me was 5 for both English and maths, and 5*55 for my 3 electives.
I am pretty sure that I only achieved a 4 for maths, but I can achieve 5** or 5* in my electives
would I still be admitted with those grades?
Plus I got an offer from Kings and I will be able to meet the conditions, most probably
So I'm thinking about whether I should study in Hong Kong or in the UK
Is Kings good enough for me to have a promising career in the UK?
Given that I am an Asian and there may be race discrimination and such, I doubt whether I will have a good future prospect if I hold a degree that is not strong enough.
Or should I just stay in HK, saving loads of money and play safe.
Or should I reapply next year and try again for UCL law
Thank you VERY MUCH for answering!
Original post by Janetliu
I am a student from Hong Kong. I applied to M100 LLB. The conditions UCL gave me was 5 for both English and maths, and 5*55 for my 3 electives.
I am pretty sure that I only achieved a 4 for maths, but I can achieve 5** or 5* in my electives
Plus I got an offer from Kings and I will be able to meet the conditions, most probably
Given that I am an Asian and there may be race discrimination and such, I doubt whether I will have a good future prospect if I hold a degree that is not strong enough.

King's College is considered of equal standard to UCL, if not better for some areas of law, and graduates go on to work in many of the top ranked chambers and firms in the UK (and even internationally).
I studied at both Universities and felt my experiences were very much the same - they both have great social life, location, teaching, and societies. You would do well at whichever one you choose to attend for law :smile:

I cannot comment on the quality of teaching in HK and your career prospects from thereafter, but I believe that if you did not go to UCL there is no reason to wait a year and reapply if you could go to KCL!
Reply 2
Original post by Nightwish1234
King's College is considered of equal standard to UCL, if not better for some areas of law, and graduates go on to work in many of the top ranked chambers and firms in the UK (and even internationally).
I studied at both Universities and felt my experiences were very much the same - they both have great social life, location, teaching, and societies. You would do well at whichever one you choose to attend for law :smile:

I cannot comment on the quality of teaching in HK and your career prospects from thereafter, but I believe that if you did not go to UCL there is no reason to wait a year and reapply if you could go to KCL!

Thank you for your advice! It's really useful!
Thank you for your advice! It's really useful!

No problem, if you have any questions about either UCL or KCL please feel free to message me - I studied at them from 2016-2019 :smile:
Reply 4
oic... you gave me the confidence to work in the UK! My dream is to become a barrister, though I got no connections.
think its unfair to say they are on par, UCL is t20 global school and KCL is not, i think UCL is 10th on QS and generally around 4/5 in uk. imo king's really tries to play up its rivalry with UCL see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G5_(universities) or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_triangle_(universities) where King's is disputed to be a part of the 'golden triangle'. That being said, for stuff like IB ucl is much better than King's but for law specifically and law jobs there might not be a difference.
Disclaimer: talking about the unis generally, not for law.
yeah i did say i was talking generally and not law.
I agree that for law, they are on par - can’t really say for the other subjects. Legal table rankings dont meant all that much

You are very likely to get rejected from UCL if they want a 5 in maths and you get a 4 but Kings is definitely a very good alternative. No point taking a year out if you have an offer from Kings but I can't comment on the HK alternative.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending