The Student Room Group

Applying to University after a gap year...

Hi guys, I'm looking for some help from anyone who knows how to answer my question.

Essentially, I've just finished year 13, I'm awaiting my results and I have firmed my place at Uni. of Nottingham on the condition that I get AAA/ABB.

I'll probably get A*AA or something, so I am not worried about potentially not getting in, but I don't want to go... Back then when I applied, I was so sure of my decision, but I had NOT done my research and now I know that it's definitely NOT the place that I would like to spend the next 4 years at.

So, let's say I call up the university and somehow convince them to release me, even though I firmed the offer back in March, thus leaving me with no university offers and I'd have to reapply next year. What is the process like for an 18-19 year old, who does not attend a school and already has their A Level grades?

I really want to go to Uni. of Manchester, and I know that I'll have the grades for the course, but how does the process work? Do I have a smaller chance of getting in? I'd really appreciate someone helping out, thanks.
Original post by WolfgangPauli
I really want to go to Uni. of Manchester, and I know that I'll have the grades for the course, but how does the process work? Do I have a smaller chance of getting in? I'd really appreciate someone helping out, thanks.

Would you attend Manchester this year if you could?

If so, check on UCAS whether the course still appears open to applications. Then call the Uni and ask them if they are accepting applications to that course via UCAS Extra. If it is indeed still open, you can call UCAS and ask them to swap your replies to declines, (making it clear that you want to use Extra). You can then apply to Manchester up until 4th July.

The only disadvantage of Extra is that you can’t hold an Insurance offer, but if you have no interest in your existing offers, then there’s really no risk.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Admit-One
Would you attend Manchester this year if you could?

If so, check on UCAS whether the course still appears open to applications. Then call the Uni and ask them to applications to that course via UCAS Extra. If it is indeed still open, you can call UCAS and ask them to swap your replies to declines, (making it clear that you want to use Extra). You can then apply to Manchester up until 4th July.

The only disadvantage of Extra is that you can’t hold an Insurance offer, but if you have no interest in your existing offers, then there’s really no risk.

Ideally yes, I would like to go to Manchester this year but I've already (stupidly) firmed Nottingham, so I can't even make use of UCAS Extra.

To make things worse, I'm pretty much certain that I will meet my conditional offer. So from my understanding, if you meet the conditional offer for your firm choice, you have to go, and I really do not want to.

I've considered that my only hope of going to Manchester this year would be to get released from my current firm choice (Nottingham), thus leaving me with no offers on results day. Then solely relying on clearing on results day, and hoping that they have spaces available for my course... But I doubt that will be successful.
read through the confirmation letter if that has been sent to you, they usually have a number you can phone to withdraw your application, is the offer is firm but not confirmed (awaiting result confirmation) you should have a "decline your place" button in track, but this will automatically send your application to clearing, so you should phone / email the uni to see if they have space beforehand.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/results-confirmation-and-clearing/what-clearing/declining-your-firm-place-track#:~:text=If%20you%20no%20longer%20want,your%20place'%20button%20in%20Track.
Ideally yes, I would like to go to Manchester this year but I've already (stupidly) firmed Nottingham, so I can't even make use of UCAS Extra.

You can make use of Extra now by having UCAS swap your replies to Declines. You need to call them to do this as the "Release myself into Clearing" button does not appear on Track at this stage.
So from my understanding, if you meet the conditional offer for your firm choice, you have to go, and I really do not want to.

This is not true. You are not committed to going anywhere unless you formally enrol, even if they make you unconditional.

I've amended my wording in post #2 to make it clearer, (my fault for posting when half asleep). You don't need to wait until Clearing. If the course is still open then you could still get into Manc this year, but you will need to get a move on.
You can ring ucas and get them to decline your places, then either apply for unis via extra and / or wait until clearing and try for a place then. You can check which courses are in extra using ucas course search, if you check out the filter options there should be a tick box saying something like show only courses with vacancies. The earlier you can get going on this the better if you're absolutely sure you don't want your current choices.

Edit: Just checked your post history for course and manchester uni do seem to have vacancies for aerospace engineering right now. They should be able to give you a good idea of if they'd take you if you give them a phone call before you decline your current place.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Admit-One
You can make use of Extra now by having UCAS swap your replies to Declines. You need to call them to do this as the "Release myself into Clearing" button does not appear on Track at this stage.

This is not true. You are not committed to going anywhere unless you formally enrol, even if they make you unconditional.

I've amended my wording in post #2 to make it clearer, (my fault for posting when half asleep). You don't need to wait until Clearing. If the course is still open then you could still get into Manc this year, but you will need to get a move on.

Original post by Kogomogo
You can ring ucas and get them to decline your places, then either apply for unis via extra and / or wait until clearing and try for a place then. You can check which courses are in extra using ucas course search, if you check out the filter options there should be a tick box saying something like show only courses with vacancies. The earlier you can get going on this the better if you're absolutely sure you don't want your current choices.

Edit: Just checked your post history for course and manchester uni do seem to have vacancies for aerospace engineering right now. They should be able to give you a good idea of if they'd take you if you give them a phone call before you decline your current place.

Thanks so much guys, you've been very informative.

I'm currently trying to get through to UoM to see if there is definitely vacancies, then I'm hopefully going to try and get released from Nottingham and go through with this via UCAS Extra.
Hi guys, I'm looking for some help from anyone who knows how to answer my question.

Essentially, I've just finished year 13, I'm awaiting my results and I have firmed my place at Uni. of Nottingham on the condition that I get AAA/ABB.

I'll probably get A*AA or something, so I am not worried about potentially not getting in, but I don't want to go... Back then when I applied, I was so sure of my decision, but I had NOT done my research and now I know that it's definitely NOT the place that I would like to spend the next 4 years at.

So, let's say I call up the university and somehow convince them to release me, even though I firmed the offer back in March, thus leaving me with no university offers and I'd have to reapply next year. What is the process like for an 18-19 year old, who does not attend a school and already has their A Level grades?

I got into uni of Manchester and have firmed it, I insured Nottingham what made you not want to be in Nottingham may I ask?
Similar situation as you mate,but I have been calling Ucas for the whole day and there is nobody picking the call,only a bot is answering automatically.😭
Original post by Anna.zhang
Similar situation as you mate,but I have been calling Ucas for the whole day and there is nobody picking the call,only a bot is answering automatically.😭

UCAS took around 40 mins to pick up when I called them yesterday.

However, I spent 3 and a half hours on the phone to UoM yesterday to ask them a simple question, and still no one picked up.

I'm going to try to contact them all day again but I do not have much faith....

However, I spent 3 and a half hours on the phone to UoM yesterday to ask them a simple question, and still no one picked up.

Same here,I spend half an hour to call UCAS. I did not call UoM,instead I emailed them.The responds from the school of nature science is quite fast.
If things don't work out and you must take a year out you'll apply with the A-levels you would get in August. Some universities prefer students who already have their a levels since then they don't have to do it on a basis of prediction plus if they're as good as you say they are then they have an even better reason to accept you on the next admissions cycle. If you get an offer it would be an unconditional since you already have the grades to show. Obviously you might have to tweak your ps (e.g. say what you'll do to make up for lost time for the rest of the year whether it be work experience or independent study etc.) a bit but that shouldn't be too much trouble :tongue:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong since Manchester's policy could be different to the one I'm familiar with so for example they might not actually like gap year students (pretty sure they dont have a problem tho)
Same here,I spend half an hour to call UCAS. I did not call UoM,instead I emailed them.The responds from the school of nature science is quite fast.

As of yesterday I have everything sorted out and confirmed already.

Luckily, since I had already applied and received an offer from Manchester, they could simply just switch my replies around and the process took 1 day for the update to be fully confirmed on my track portal...

I don't know if you originally applied to UoM, but If you did, there is no need for UCAS Extra at all. UCAS can sort this out and the process is so so so much easier than I expected. Currently I am very happy and I hope you get everything sorted out soon!

Hi Sorry I cannot reply private message,so I would like to reply you here.
Firstly,I had accepted my firm and insurance,then they were in “conditional offer”.14 days after you accepted it ,any decline can only be made by calling your accepted university and Ucas to decline all offers,in order to use Ucas Extra.
So I call Ucas support first,they told me that I need to seek permission of withdrawal from my firm and insurance university,once Ucas got their permission,Ucas will release you into Extra. I have successfullly accepted by UoM by Extra today. Remember to ask UoM about vacancy first before you apply. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending