The Student Room Group

am i allowed to change my name?

I don't want to change my name legally but like when I go university I want people to call me by a different name, including lecturers and staff. I'm not non-binary or anything, I just hate my name and I want to be called by another name.
Reply 1
Original post by hopelessdevoted
I don't want to change my name legally but like when I go university I want people to call me by a different name, including lecturers and staff. I'm not non-binary or anything, I just hate my name and I want to be called by another name.

You could morph it into a nickname maybe? What IS your name btw, I’m really intrigued.

There's no problem with changing it for personal reasons. You can ask your friends to call you a different name and just say you don't like the one you currently have. Schools normally have a form to fill in name and then preferred name that they call you in front of others or just to you (that's what my school does), but if they don't do that just email all your teachers or tell them face to face you want them to call you (insert name) from now on.
Reply 3

It's very likely that at some point in the registration process you'll be able to enter as "known as" name, and that's where you can enter the name you want to be known as.

You'd typically do this when you want to be called by a shortened form of your name; for example someone called Benjamin might want to be called "Ben", or Jacqueline "Jackie". Or sometimes, you're known by a middle name rather than your first name (for example, Boris Johnson's full name is Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson). And in some cases, people are just known by a nickname that has stuck. Also, it's quite common for international students from some areas of the world to choose an "English name" to go by.

But you do still need to make sure the university has your full legal name in its records. While they'll happily use your "known as" name for most purposes, it's your full name that will appear on your degree certificate and other formal documents (like your transcript).
Original post by Ammanxco
You could morph it into a nickname maybe? What IS your name btw, I’m really intrigued.

My name cannot be abbreviated into a nickname unfortunately and I'm not telling you
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by iwriteletters
There's no problem with changing it for personal reasons. You can ask your friends to call you a different name and just say you don't like the one you currently have. Schools normally have a form to fill in name and then preferred name that they call you in front of others or just to you (that's what my school does), but if they don't do that just email all your teachers or tell them face to face you want them to call you (insert name) from now on.

Original post by martin7
It's very likely that at some point in the registration process you'll be able to enter as "known as" name, and that's where you can enter the name you want to be known as.

You'd typically do this when you want to be called by a shortened form of your name; for example someone called Benjamin might want to be called "Ben", or Jacqueline "Jackie". Or sometimes, you're known by a middle name rather than your first name (for example, Boris Johnson's full name is Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson). And in some cases, people are just known by a nickname that has stuck. Also, it's quite common for international students from some areas of the world to choose an "English name" to go by.

But you do still need to make sure the university has your full legal name in its records. While they'll happily use your "known as" name for most purposes, it's your full name that will appear on your degree certificate and other formal documents (like your transcript).

i see thanks guys
If you don't want to change your name legally then you will want your legal name on your degree certificate, so make sure the university have the correct name on their system. However, they may also have a "preferred name" function where your university email and name on registers is as you prefer I would get in touch with student services before your arrival (once you 100% know where you are going) and ask them for help.

In terms of friends addressing you by your preferred name, just change your Facebook name to what you want it to be. :yep:

I know lots of people at university who go by different names. You should have a preferred name option when you apply to university

Quick Reply

Latest