The Student Room Group

Legalise e scooter road use! Pease sign

Come on lads, the last one failed at 5000 signatures, can we do it? E-scooters are a fantastic eco-friendly way to zip around the city. I need one to get to Uni and work because I unable to get a driving license due to the pandemic and money. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/583107

Scroll to see replies

E-scooters typically cost a couple of hundred pounds. If you can buy an e-scooter, there's no good reason why you can't pay £34? for a provisional licence. You do not need a full driving licence to ride one.

It is currently illegal to ride them on UK roads, this is probably going to change in the near future, several cities are trailing them.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Sure
The max speed of an escooter is <20mph, you will hold up actual traffic.

Also nobody wants to support these disgusting chavmobiles
Original post by Just_Another_One
Come on lads, the last one failed at 5000 signatures, can we do it? E-scooters are a fantastic eco-friendly way to zip around the city. I need one to get to Uni and work because I unable to get a driving license due to the pandemic and money. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/583107

The UK currently has some trials with electric scooters in towns and cities. My local town has some e-scooters, and I find them rather useful.
I'd like to see more of them about.
I can't, it just goes against everything I believe in. People who drive those things around are wallies.
No thank you, I’m not signing. I’ve seen too many morons ride them erratically on roads and pavements with no regard for other road users.
Reply 7
No thanks.

No
Some London boroughs are currently trialling a hire and ride e-scooter scheme (similar to the Santander bike scheme) in cooperation with TFL, so if the trial is successful, there’ll probably be no need for this petition.
Original post by glassalice
E-scooters typically cost a couple of hundred pounds. If you can buy an e-scooter, there's no good reason why you can't pay £34? for a provisional licence. You do not need a full driving licence to ride one.

It is currently illegal to ride them on UK roads, this is probably going to change in the near future, several cities are trailing them.

Bruv, I'm confused what you're saying. I have a provisional license.... e scooters are classed are PLEV so the ******* government makes it you need to tax, insure and MOT them which is basically impossible. They should be classed as ePACS/ebikes
Original post by Ram Ranch
The max speed of an escooter is <20mph, you will hold up actual traffic.

Also nobody wants to support these disgusting chavmobiles

The current rent ones go 12.5 and integrate just fine in cities. Most large cities have 20mph speed limit anyhow - and plus just like a cyclist the incentive to use bike lanes and bus lanes where available generally where faster moving traffic is would ofc be used. I've seen most people follow traffic rules with the rent ones as they require your license. I've seen more car drivers behave worse than buses, e bikes, push bikes and e scooter riders. the fact that they are illegal right now is what makes makes idiots ride them like morons - chavs would ride a push bike in a bad manner too. I'm not opposed to insurance being mandatory for them but they should not be outright illegal. how would you like it that you never own a car but only allowed to rent one.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Some London boroughs are currently trialling a hire and ride e-scooter scheme (similar to the Santander bike scheme) in cooperation with TFL, so if the trial is successful, there’ll probably be no need for this petition.

they should not need to trial them they are not much different than e bikes they cant even go that fast but most cities have congestion and terrible emission rate and cities have 20 mph everywhere and where buslanes and cycle lanes are available generally on roads with faster moving traffic they will be fine used there. The reason we need the petition is because the ******* gov may not come to a decision by 2022.
Original post by V℮rsions
I can't, it just goes against everything I believe in. People who drive those things around are wallies.

well in bristol ive seen everyone following traffic rules on the Voi ones - the chavs riding their own ones ironically being illegal is the problem. i am not against e scooters needing a provisional license, a ID plate and even cheap insurance but they should not be outright banned and should not be treated like a car people want a quick, easier, better way of getting around than say public transport that is environmentally friendly.
The reason we need the petition is because the ******* gov may not come to a decision by 2022.

Because the government has a great track record of acting efficiently on petitions don’t they?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Because the government has a great track record of acting efficiently on petitions don’t they?

its all the power we have and all we can do. if its possible to cut the wait time down from 3 years to a decision now, why not? and if not we will protest in the streets if we have to. I'm a pretty negative fatalist myself but when you want something you need action.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 16
its all the power we have and all we can do. if its possible to cut the wait time down from 3 years to a decision now, why not? and if not we will protest in the streets if we have to. I'm a pretty negative fatalist myself but when you want something you need action.

You may be blowing this out of proportion a little bit... protests in the streets because you can't ride your chavmobile on the road? :laugh:

What next, quad bikes for all? Free hummus to every adult? A mandatory tax on exercise bikes?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by IWMTom
You may be blowing this out of proportion a little bit... protests in the streets because you can't ride your chavmobile on the road? :laugh:

What next, quad bikes for all? Free hummus to every adult? A mandatory tax on exercise bikes?

The true chavs aren't bothered about legalities.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by IWMTom

Quadbikes have massive engines like a motorbike and car not a comparison e-scooters should be classed as epacs or given their own classification as ePACs were since they are so similar.
i dont see why you classify them as a "chav mobile" they are not much different than e-bikes, they are more affordable, less maintenance and will contribute a lot to the problem of how many car journies are literally 1 or less bloody miles. the only reason they are illegal is cus of dated laws, many other countries have legalised them and they are just fine. just cus something is new or different doesn't mean its bad. we should be allowed to have our mobility.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by glassalice
The true chavs aren't bothered about legalities.

alright so chavs will ride push and electric bikes illegally stolen from their local halfords too or worse jack a car which is way more likely to get someone killed. ig we should start a crack down on e-bikes cus "chavs" who don't follow legislation will ride these very similar vehicles in just a similar manner.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending