The Student Room Group

Missed school due to cancer - failed my AS

Hello , I’m really hoping someone can help me
So to cut a long story short starting around Christmas time I’ve been very sick (diagnosed with cancer but I’m fine now-tests came back clear, school know I was very sick don’t know the full story though ) which has meant I’ve missed loads of school. Before this I was doing well in school hoping to become a doctor then we went into full lockdown and my health issues started and it was all downhill from there.
Because I’ve missed so much school I’ve failed my AS chem and bio, I can’t progress onto A2 with them which means I can’t do medicine , my own personal circumstances mean I’m not able to resit the year either. I’m just so so tired. I really want my life back to normal. I’ve got extenuating circumstances but it’s done Nothing because it’s such a small percentage. I don’t expect anyone to be able to help me but I’m just so sick of all of this - like unbelievably sick and tired of it all and any advice at all would be so so appreciated.
Tysm ❤️
Original post by Taloolah
Hello , I’m really hoping someone can help me
So to cut a long story short starting around Christmas time I’ve been very sick (diagnosed with cancer but I’m fine now-tests came back clear, school know I was very sick don’t know the full story though ) which has meant I’ve missed loads of school. Before this I was doing well in school hoping to become a doctor then we went into full lockdown and my health issues started and it was all downhill from there.
Because I’ve missed so much school I’ve failed my AS chem and bio, I can’t progress onto A2 with them which means I can’t do medicine , my own personal circumstances mean I’m not able to resit the year either. I’m just so so tired. I really want my life back to normal. I’ve got extenuating circumstances but it’s done Nothing because it’s such a small percentage. I don’t expect anyone to be able to help me but I’m just so sick of all of this - like unbelievably sick and tired of it all and any advice at all would be so so appreciated.
Tysm ❤️

Restart 6 form.

Whilst frustrating to do one more year, go give it a good crack of the whip. Performance is very understandable in the circumstances

Once you explain the situation your school has no reasonable excuse not to let you re-do year 12 and help sort out whatever issues you have resitting.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi Taloolah, so sorry to hear you've had such a rough time, but it's great news that you're on the road to recovery. I had a chronic illness which disrupted my AS and A2 levels too, so I know to some extent how disheartening it can be.

You mention that you are unable to resit the year, do you mind me asking why?
Reply 3
Are you sure you couldn't retake the year? I suggest you are completely open with your school about your illness and talk to them about the best thing to do next

Quick Reply

Latest