The Student Room Group

Degree apprenticeship

Hello, to anyone that has gotten an offer/ position for a software developer role or similar please could you share a thorough experience of how you got the position (as detailed as possible pls) in regards to things like experience, cv or skills.
Hi there - my daughter will be starting one soon. I think one of the main things that really helped was that she did 2 weeks work experience at the company when she was 16 and really loved it there. I've noticed with other apprenticeships too, they usually offer you an interview if you have interned, volunteered or done some work experience there. So if you're interested in eg, IBM check out their website as they do offer placements there or they may offer week long virtual work experiences etc. I genuinely think this gives you a better chance so take any opportunity you can with them. Also her A levels are relevant to the subject eg, maths, computer science etc, plus she has done a few extra IT type courses ourside of school. However even if your A levels aren't related they will be looking for a genuine interest in the subject so do any online courses you can that are relevant. Also just be yourself, be friendly and show you are willing to learn and work as part of a team. Really get to know the company and research it so you know all about them and what you can offer and why you would like to work there. Good luck on your search
Reply 2
Original post by domesticengineer
Hi there - my daughter will be starting one soon. I think one of the main things that really helped was that she did 2 weeks work experience at the company when she was 16 and really loved it there. I've noticed with other apprenticeships too, they usually offer you an interview if you have interned, volunteered or done some work experience there. So if you're interested in eg, IBM check out their website as they do offer placements there or they may offer week long virtual work experiences etc. I genuinely think this gives you a better chance so take any opportunity you can with them. Also her A levels are relevant to the subject eg, maths, computer science etc, plus she has done a few extra IT type courses ourside of school. However even if your A levels aren't related they will be looking for a genuine interest in the subject so do any online courses you can that are relevant. Also just be yourself, be friendly and show you are willing to learn and work as part of a team. Really get to know the company and research it so you know all about them and what you can offer and why you would like to work there. Good luck on your search

Okay, thank you very much for this input

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending