The Student Room Group

Portsmouth university

I just wondered if anyone knew when you are given like a list of things you need for when you start? like which text books etc? I am doing mental health nursing in october
Original post by jpoole16
I just wondered if anyone knew when you are given like a list of things you need for when you start? like which text books etc? I am doing mental health nursing in october

Hi!
It's great that you're starting Portsmouth Uni in October!
I do Film Production and when I started last October they gave us a reading list for each of the modules - a lot of these books could be found in the library and were optional but a good list to have for additional materials. They also told us which textbooks we would need (for my course this wasn't a lot but I imagine it differs based on what course you are doing). Throughout the year they pointed us in the direction of other resources that might be useful for specific course content but we were given a list of resources we would definitely need at the start of the year.
This is the case with the majority of courses so I would imagine that you will get all of that information when you start.
Hope that helps and please let me know if you have any other questions!
Michaela - UoP Rep :smile:
Reply 2
thank you, that's really helpful
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!
It's great that you're starting Portsmouth Uni in October!
I do Film Production and when I started last October they gave us a reading list for each of the modules - a lot of these books could be found in the library and were optional but a good list to have for additional materials. They also told us which textbooks we would need (for my course this wasn't a lot but I imagine it differs based on what course you are doing). Throughout the year they pointed us in the direction of other resources that might be useful for specific course content but we were given a list of resources we would definitely need at the start of the year.
This is the case with the majority of courses so I would imagine that you will get all of that information when you start.
Hope that helps and please let me know if you have any other questions!

I'm looking at Portsmouth for Film Production for 2022, can you tell me a bit more about the course since you do it and would you recommend it? Is it fairly practical and do you feel more prepared for the industry due to the contents of the course? Thanks!
Original post by ErinPenn19
I'm looking at Portsmouth for Film Production for 2022, can you tell me a bit more about the course since you do it and would you recommend it? Is it fairly practical and do you feel more prepared for the industry due to the contents of the course? Thanks!

Hi!
It's great that you're considering Portsmouth and Film Production is definitely a good choice!
I've just finished my first year so I can tell you a bit about that and how it has been.
In first year you are introduced to the basic equipment; sound, camera + lighting. You'll learn the basics of editing using the software Avid, as well as how to be an editor. There is some theory that you will do; you will have films to watch and discuss based on lots of different topics such as sexualisation, gender, race, and a lot more. Everything is taught from the basics so, if you're like me and didn't already know a lot about film, it's very useful in terms of levelling the playing field.
Obviously, because of covid, it hasn't been as practical as it would have been; however, it has been the most practical possible and what we missed throughout the lockdowns was taught in intensive sessions nearer the end of the year. In general, it is a very practical course but there is a good balance between hands-on and theory.
I definitely do feel more prepared for the industry. Although I have only completed one year, we have been taught industry-standard editing software, have learnt about the technical terms used on set and have put these into practice throughout our assessments, have had multiple talks from industry professionals, and so much more. In general, I think it has definitely helped me to start to become more prepared and I think that, in the next 2 years, I will definitely learn more which will help towards feeling completely ready to set foot in the industry.
Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions and I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending