The Student Room Group

University grade requirements

Will unis be more lenient this year with offers?
Original post by Foxfeet

Tbh it depends on supply & demand.

I suspect due to the high grade inflation we have seen the last few years they will less flexible as students are more likely to achieve their offers, thus less room.

Courses which have surplus space will likely be fairly generous, of course these are likely to be less competitive courses to begin with.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Tbh it depends on supply & demand.

I suspect due to the high grade inflation we have seen the last few years they will less flexible as students are more likely to achieve their offers, thus less room.

Courses which have surplus space will likely be fairly generous, of course these are likely to be less competitive courses to begin with.

do you think they would take the fact that everyone was assessed differently due to covid? And it would be easier for some to get better grades than others
Original post by Foxfeet
do you think they would take the fact that everyone was assessed differently due to covid? And it would be easier for some to get better grades than others

It really depends how many students miss and how many spots they have remaining. I think they will have to judge students relative to the provided grades, it’s the fairest method.

Although I am not an admissions officer, just my thoughts.
Reply 4
Original post by Foxfeet

I hope so 🤞 It would definitely be fairer if they were more lenient, like I know people who do the same subject at different schools, and while one of them had no exams, the other had 6. Like how can universities judge people’s grades equally when they’ve been decided in completely different ways?! But in the end I think it will be down to luck and wether you go to a school where they made it easy to do well (eg being given the questions for the test in advance), or whether your school kept exams as difficult as they usually would be. Good luck for your results :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ..M..
I hope so 🤞 It would definitely be fairer if they were more lenient, like I know people who do the same subject at different schools, and while one of them had no exams, the other had 6. Like how can universities judge people’s grades equally when they’ve been decided in completely different ways?! But in the end I think it will be down to luck and wether you go to a school where they made it easy to do well (eg being given the questions for the test in advance), or whether your school kept exams as difficult as they usually would be. Good luck for your results :smile:

yeah my school did mocks that were just the exams tbh haha, but I think they should be a bit more lenient? If not I reckon they'll face backlash. Good luck for yours too:smile:
Reply 6
I guess there are likely to be more students achieving their predicted grades this year so more students getting their places at university and less course places available going spare, as said above.

So this may limit flexibility.
Good luck.
Original post by ..M..

It’s not really a factor of leniency & stringency.

They just deal with the number of places available and the number of students who have achieved their offers & then how many spaces are left afterwards. They can’t just create spaces for everyone, they just have to deal with whats in front of them.

This was one of the reasons i was strongly in favour of running full a-levels as normal as possible (as this would have been as fair as possible), however I was in the minority with this view.
Reply 8
Original post by mnot
It’s not really a factor of leniency & stringency.

They just deal with the number of places available and the number of students who have achieved their offers & then how many spaces are left afterwards. They can’t just create spaces for everyone, they just have to deal with whats in front of them.

This was one of the reasons i was strongly in favour of running full a-levels as normal as possible (as this would have been as fair as possible), however I was in the minority with this view.

I agree with that, I wish they had decided to make every student sit A Level exams as normal, because even though we may have found it more difficult, they could have just adjusted grade boundaries to reflect that, and then there wouldn’t be disparities between schools.
Don't think so. There's a Guardian article saying that universities will be a lot more rigid with their offers.
Reply 11
Original post by econhelp525
Don't think so. There's a Guardian article saying that universities will be a lot more rigid with their offers.

I saw that but they also released an article saying people are more likely to get into their first choice uni?
Reply 12
I am absolutely no expert on this but I guess there is more likely to be grade inflation this year so more people may be more likely to get their first choice than two years ago.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Foxfeet
I saw that but they also released an article saying people are more likely to get into their first choice uni?

Basically saying that this year students have achieved their first choice more then any other Uni, However if you miss your offer, its unlikely you'll get in.
Original post by Foxfeet

If they meet their offer.

Quick Reply

Latest