The Student Room Group

University of Liverpool A100 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

Is Liverpool a good option with a 2510 ucat and band 1 SJT
:hello: Grad here

Liverpool is my first choice ideal uni for Medicine so I'm throwing everything I've got at it. I applied for grad entry last year and although my feedback was good, I didn't manage to get one of those 27 coveted places. Fingers crossed for undergrad entry this year!

Although I did dream last night that I was with a group of people who all got interviews and I didn't :cry2: It upset me greatly when I woke up :colondollar:
Reply 22
Original post by asphodel77
:hello: Grad here

Liverpool is my first choice ideal uni for Medicine so I'm throwing everything I've got at it. I applied for grad entry last year and although my feedback was good, I didn't manage to get one of those 27 coveted places. Fingers crossed for undergrad entry this year!

Although I did dream last night that I was with a group of people who all got interviews and I didn't :cry2: It upset me greatly when I woke up :colondollar:

I am sorry to hear that! Finger crossed!!
I hope your dream come true soon:smile:)
do I have a good chance of getting an interview?+ will my band 3sj put me at a disadvantage ?
does Liverpool take sj into consideration?

Gcses
Art-9
Maths-8
English lit-9
English Lang-8
Chemistry-9
Biology-9
Physics-9
HIstory -9
Computer science-6

Alevels(achieved)
Biology-A*
Psychology-A*
Chemistry-A*

UCAT
total-2680
VR-640
DM-590
AR-730
QR-720
Sj-band 3

work experience- online medical work experience eg observe gp
-worked with the community eg apart of charitable organisations and volunteered in the library

contextual/ wp-most likely
Original post by Sweet122
do I have a good chance of getting an interview?+ will my band 3sj put me at a disadvantage ?

Gcses
Art-9
Maths-8
English lit-9
English Lang-8
Chemistry-9
Biology-9
Physics-9
HIstory -9
Computer science-6

Alevels(achieved)
Biology-A*
Psychology-A*
Chemistry-A*

UCAT
total-2680
VR-640
DM-590
AR-730
QR-720
Sj-band 3

-worked with the community eg apart of charitable organisations and volunteered in the library

Liverpool does take SJT into account: 'Applications are ranked based on the results of the relevant admissions tests. UCAT: all non-graduate applicants applying to A100 (Overall score and Situational Judgement Test/Home Students)' and then it goes on to say that home applicants will need to score band 1-3 in SJT. I'm not too sure if it would put you at a disadvantage, perhaps you could ask someone from the 'Which medical school should I apply to?' thread but as it stands, they do use SJT. Previous competitive scores were around 2400 for 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 but I believe they used a different process for 2021 entry.
Original post by GG700
I am sorry to hear that! Finger crossed!!
I hope your dream come true soon:smile:)

That’s so sweet of you, thanks :blushing:
Reply 26
Original post by Sweet122

Gcses
Art-9
Maths-8
English lit-9
English Lang-8
Chemistry-9
Biology-9
Physics-9
HIstory -9
Computer science-6

Alevels(achieved)
Biology-A*
Psychology-A*
Chemistry-A*

UCAT
total-2680
VR-640
DM-590
AR-730
QR-720
Sj-band 3

Original post by WTSBLG
Liverpool does take SJT into account: 'Applications are ranked based on the results of the relevant admissions tests. UCAT: all non-graduate applicants applying to A100 (Overall score and Situational Judgement Test/Home Students)' and then it goes on to say that home applicants will need to score band 1-3 in SJT. I'm not too sure if it would put you at a disadvantage, perhaps you could ask someone from the 'Which medical school should I apply to?' thread but as it stands, they do use SJT. Previous competitive scores were around 2400 for 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 but I believe they used a different process for 2021 entry.

They just seem to want a band 1-3, like some other med schools

A competitive score when they used UCAT to rank in previous years was around 2500, so I think 2680 should be alright
Reply 27
Hi,
I am feeling a bit stressed with my results from the UCAT and I feel as though my GCSE's are not as good as what is required, I would be very grateful for some advice on where my best chances of getting an interview would be. Would Liverpool be an option?

UCAT Score 2510/average 627.5:
Verbal Reasoning = 580
Decision Making = 540
Quantitative Reasoning = 700
Abstract Reasoning = 690
SJT band 2

GCSE:
Spanish = 9
Maths = 8
Double science = 8,7
English Language = 6
Geography = 6
History = 6
Computer Science = 6
(edited 2 years ago)
Liverpool say this about resits in their frequently asked questions:
"Do you accept A Level resits? Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, we normally only consider an application if you achieve a minimum of
ABB grades at first sitting. Applicants who are re-sitting any examinations are expected to complete the applicant online form, which is
available on our website from September. Any offers made to resitting applicants will usually be higher than AAA e.g. A*AA. Please
note that for E2022, we are awaiting further details of the Autumn Exam Series, so we cannot yet comment as to whether these will be
considered as first–sit or resit examinations."

This is worrying me as if they don't know yet whether the autumn exams will be first sittings or not, surely the grade requirements could end up being A*AA compared to the standard AAA? What makes this more confusing to me is how their admissions team told me that Autumn exams would be classified as first sits :/
Original post by Coolkingz
Liverpool say this about resits in their frequently asked questions:
"Do you accept A Level resits? Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, we normally only consider an application if you achieve a minimum of
ABB grades at first sitting. Applicants who are re-sitting any examinations are expected to complete the applicant online form, which is
available on our website from September. Any offers made to resitting applicants will usually be higher than AAA e.g. A*AA. Please
note that for E2022, we are awaiting further details of the Autumn Exam Series, so we cannot yet comment as to whether these will be
considered as first–sit or resit examinations."

This is worrying me as if they don't know yet whether the autumn exams will be first sittings or not, surely the grade requirements could end up being A*AA compared to the standard AAA? What makes this more confusing to me is how their admissions team told me that Autumn exams would be classified as first sits :/

Their admissions team emailed me to say that autumn exams are considered as first sits. Basically if you had a CF and missed the grade, if you get the grade in October, they will automatically reinstate your offer for 2022 (but you have to reapply via ucas).
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by XHannahR
Their admissions team emailed me to say that autumn exams are considered as first sits. Basically if you had a CF and missed the grade, if you get the grade in October, they will automatically reinstate your offer for 2022.

Ah okay, thank you! Good luck with your application also!
Original post by Coolkingz
Ah okay, thank you! Good luck with your application also!

Thank you, you too!!
Original post by A_J_B
They just seem to want a band 1-3, like some other med schools

A competitive score when they used UCAT to rank in previous years was around 2500, so I think 2680 should be alright

What do you think of applying with a UCAT score of 2500 band 2 and 3 A* predictions at A level, 7A*'s 2A's in GCSE
Reply 33
Original post by OmarHam3d
What do you think of applying with a UCAT score of 2500 band 2 and 3 A* predictions at A level, 7A*'s 2A's in GCSE

May be a bit risky, they are ranking based on UCAT
Original post by A_J_B
May be a bit risky, they are ranking based on UCAT

so it is a small risk - is that what you are saying?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 35

IN the past for 2019 entry, 2020 entry a competitive score was around 2500-you're sitting right on that cutoff.
So a pretty big risk in my opinion, as I only expect the cutoff would rise
Original post by A_J_B
IN the past for 2019 entry, 2020 entry a competitive score was around 2500-you're sitting right on that cutoff.
So a pretty big risk in my opinion, as I only expect the cutoff would rise

Could you please inform me of the cutoff of last year. I don't think they have released this info but I think you may have an idea based on who got offered an interview last year
Reply 37

Entry year 2021 2020 2019
Total places available 280 309 280
Total applicants 3154 2824 2787
Total interviews 1855 2056 1928
Total offers made 546 923 1060

We don't know what Liverpool's cut off will be this year. There are a lot of factors that affect this, eg how many deferred places they have used, how they are treating CAGs resits, how over-subscribed they ended up last year, whether they decide to interview more, or fewer people, what the UCAT deciles look like.

As you can see from the figures I have posted, Liverpool cut down how many they interviewed a little bit last year, but early halved their offers from 2 years ago. They may decide to stick to the same number of interviews and offers - giving a bit lower cut off, but an interview to pffer ratio of <30%, or they may decide to half the number of interviews and keep the interview to offer ratio up above 50%, or they may do a bit of both.

The biggest influence on cut offs is how many interviews are offered, as more people interviewed means they keep counting down the UCAT scores. And we don't know this (though I would like to be a fly on the wall in their Admissions Office!).
Liverpool are traditionally at the lower end of the UCAT unis, in terms of cut off. It has varied from 2400 to 2560 in recent years, but I feel a lot of people with 2700+ UCATs are going to be put off applying to Bristol, Newcastle, Glasgow, St Andrews, Sheffeild, possibly SOuthampton, SGUL, Manchester, because of last year's high cut offs and concern they may go up - if you have 2700, you are under all bar 3 of those cut offs last year, and very close to 2 of the remaining ones - so they are going to look to the next tier of UCAT cut offs down to apply. So that is Liverpool, ARU, Plymouth, Edge Hill, UEA, hence I think these cut offs may well go up. But how far they go up depends on the number of applicants, the number of interviews and all the other things mentioned above.

Sadly, for people with lower UCAT scores this year (and I am talking 2600s, that normally would have lots of choice), it is not going to be a case of asking if it is safe to apply somewhere, but having to choose several risky options (as there is nothing more secure) and hope
Reply 38
Could you please inform me of the cutoff of last year. I don't think they have released this info but I think you may have an idea based on who got offered an interview last year

They scored applications totally differently last year, with GCSEs making up 75% of scoring. I am guessing the CAGs grade inflation put them off that idea!
Reply 39

Last year they used a totally different selection process-they were GCSE heavy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending