The Student Room Group

A level subject help

hi guys, i really want to apply for economics and management for university but i have a dilemma. i am currently taking maths, econ, chem and geography. i want to drop one and it is between chem and geo but i genuinely have no idea. i am in year 12 and would like to only have 3 a levels so that i can focus more so on other things. for gcse i got 9's in both so it really depends on which one is more useful. can anyone offer any advice?
Original post by aesha_p
hi guys, i really want to apply for economics and management for university but i have a dilemma. i am currently taking maths, econ, chem and geography. i want to drop one and it is between chem and geo but i genuinely have no idea. i am in year 12 and would like to only have 3 a levels so that i can focus more so on other things. for gcse i got 9's in both so it really depends on which one is more useful. can anyone offer any advice?

This is simple. Out of chemistry and geography, which you do enjoy more? You have to pick one.
Reply 2
Original post by aesha_p

I do AQA chem and edexcel geo
AQA chemistry is easy if you continually revise the topic by doing exam questions
The amount is similar to geo but for me it feels like geo has more because the exam questions require you to know examples and details from each lesson you learn

With geo
I personally prefer human geo over physical and since there's a lot of content to revise for both it feels like a lot more content than chemistry, keep in mind learning about the carbon cycle, water cycle, tectonics and coasts is physical so if u can keep motivated then pick geo
Also there are 20 markers so u need to make essay plans so consider your strengths

Chemistry, there's organic and physical
Physical has a lot of maths but it's not too hard as I don't do maths alevel and get As on the physical tests
Organic is a lot of drawing mechanisms and remembering functional groups and naming things
I personally find it fun drawing molecules and mechanisms
Reply 3
Id advise you to pick out of the two which one you finder harder in general or how much content there is

Original post by t0897
AQA chemistry is easy if you continually revise the topic by doing exam questions
The amount is similar to geo but for me it feels like geo has more because the exam questions require you to know examples and details from each lesson you learn

With geo
I personally prefer human geo over physical and since there's a lot of content to revise for both it feels like a lot more content than chemistry, keep in mind learning about the carbon cycle, water cycle, tectonics and coasts is physical so if u can keep motivated then pick geo
Also there are 20 markers so u need to make essay plans so consider your strengths

Physical has a lot of maths but it's not too hard as I don't do maths alevel and get As on the physical tests
Organic is a lot of drawing mechanisms and remembering functional groups and naming things

I like chemistry, not many complicated math problems but the amount of content is a pain. Out of all the subjects I do physics chem and maths. I say chem is the hardest due to the amount of content-this is just my opinion right now and could be subject to change. Other than that the theory and principles behind chem are kinda interesting ngl
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
This is simple. Out of chemistry and geography, which you do enjoy more? You have to pick one.

well when you say it like that it sounds really simple but i feel like theres so much more!
1- i dont particularly enjoy either, its kind of like picking the best out of a bad bunch.
2- if i HAD to choose i would probably say chemistry but that's only because i did better in it than i did in geography (marks wise) but the a level is very hard and idk if i want to put myself through that since it isnt even related to my potntial course.
3-at the end of the day i just want to get the highest grade possible (especially since i am looking to apply to oxford) but geography wasnt my strongest and is slighly boring and a level chem is very hard.
i feel like i am overthinking this but i really dont want to make the wrong decision. thanks for your input, when you said 'this is simple' it actually calmed me down a bit:tongue:
Original post by aesha_p
well when you say it like that it sounds really simple but i feel like theres so much more!
1- i dont particularly enjoy either, its kind of like picking the best out of a bad bunch.
2- if i HAD to choose i would probably say chemistry but that's only because i did better in it than i did in geography (marks wise) but the a level is very hard and idk if i want to put myself through that since it isnt even related to my potntial course.
3-at the end of the day i just want to get the highest grade possible (especially since i am looking to apply to oxford) but geography wasnt my strongest and is slighly boring and a level chem is very hard.
i feel like i am overthinking this but i really dont want to make the wrong decision. thanks for your input, when you said 'this is simple' it actually calmed me down a bit:tongue:

Good :smile:.

Ok, so in order:
1. In that case, is there another subject which (a) you actually enjoy, and (b) fits in with what you want to do at uni, i.e. meets any necessary A level requirements. The most important thing is to do a subject which you enjoy - it's probably the most important factor in doing well.
2. A level chemistry is quite tough (or at least most students seem to find it is) - if you're not really interested in it, and it isn't a requirement for your degree, I'd probably give it a miss. It could be quite a miserable experience studying it for two years if you're a bit ambivalent about it already.
3. See 1 - what other subjects do you truly enjoy?
Reply 6
Original post by t0897

With geo

thank you! you sound like a really good student haha. its cool getting a perspective from someone whos doing both. it's comforting when you said a level chemistry is easy if you revise because i have heard very negative opinions about it.. the thing is i know organic is a huge part of the course but it is in fact not something i am a big fan of or at least i wasnt in GCSE, i still managed to do well but unlike you i didnt really like the diagrams. i guess becaue of covid we werent taught it that well which couldve impacted my liking of it.
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check
Good :smile:.

Ok, so in order:
1. In that case, is there another subject which (a) you actually enjoy, and (b) fits in with what you want to do at uni, i.e. meets any necessary A level requirements. The most important thing is to do a subject which you enjoy - it's probably the most important factor in doing well.
2. A level chemistry is quite tough (or at least most students seem to find it is) - if you're not really interested in it, and it isn't a requirement for your degree, I'd probably give it a miss. It could be quite a miserable experience studying it for two years if you're a bit ambivalent about it already.
3. See 1 - what other subjects do you truly enjoy?

see now thats an interesting question and omg this is going to sound so bad but i dont enjoy any of my subjects. theres defintiely aspects that i liked but i was never truly passionate about any subject. the thing with me is that if im good at it, ill like it, the content is funnily enough irrelevant. i did end up getting all 9's but thats because i work hard in all my subjects- i just dont enjoy any.
Reply 8
Original post by LazLo_
Id advise you to pick out of the two which one you finder harder in general or how much content there is

I like chemistry, not many complicated math problems but the amount of content is a pain. Out of all the subjects I do physics chem and maths. I say chem is the hardest due to the amount of content-this is just my opinion right now and could be subject to change. Other than that the theory and principles behind chem are kinda interesting ngl

damn thats a hard trio. thank you for your advice! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by aesha_p
thank you! you sound like a really good student haha. its cool getting a perspective from someone whos doing both. it's comforting when you said a level chemistry is easy if you revise because i have heard very negative opinions about it.. the thing is i know organic is a huge part of the course but it is in fact not something i am a big fan of or at least i wasnt in GCSE, i still managed to do well but unlike you i didnt really like the diagrams. i guess becaue of covid we werent taught it that well which couldve impacted my liking of it.

Also I chose chemistry because I needed a third alevel so it wasn't out of interest but just because it was convenient and I was good at it. out of bio OCR, geo edexcel, it's been the easiest because the teachers are great for me and we do topic tests so I don't need to cram for term tests. Also I didn't like organic at GCSEs but at alevels, when you do organic and check the markscheme for exam questions, the way u answer is pretty much the same so it's not hard to apply your knowledge.

Quick Reply

Latest