The Student Room Group

Should I do french a level?

How is it like? I’m debating between biology/business or french. What do you think I should pick? I want to be a lawyer and my other subject that I’m DEFINITELY doing is history
I really enjoyed french alevel. i would say you have to be willing to put in the work consistently as its not something you can learn overnight. so if you are a crammer, i wouldnt recommend it. do you think you will be motivated enough to put in the work that is needed? do you have a passion for french? you say you're doing history, so there's no doubt you'll enjoy the historical modules, but is grammar, literature, movie studies etc something you would be interested in?

from what i have seen, for people taking french a level, you either absolutely love it or absolutely hate it. you either love it, because you find it incredibly interesting and are motivated to put in regular work, or you hate it because of the amount of maintenance it requires.
Original post by Hajora0505
How is it like? I’m debating between biology/business or french. What do you think I should pick? I want to be a lawyer and my other subject that I’m DEFINITELY doing is history

Biology will stress you the hell out, especially because French and History are subjects that need full attention and are hefty loaded subjects needing hard work. Biology will take a lot of your time and bring you pure agony even if you enjoy it in GCSE. I only advise those that want to go through a science or medical such route to take biology or if they are unsure what they want to do as it opens a lot of doors. However you want to do law so it is completely unnecessary for your future degree as it is a science and law is essay based. Doing law you want to have two facilitating subjects (basically the really difficult and very respected subjects) which is amazing because already French and history are facilitating subjects so you've already checked the box, you don't need biology. Business is not a facilitating subject so you know it will not stress you out and it can be an enjoyable subject that will give you a better chance of getting an A. Not saying that business is easy but it is the least hard subject out of the ones you are thinking about. With doing french, I don't do it but I do know that it looks very good with universities and it seems fun, because hey your step closer to being fluent that's a flex. Anyways I highly suggest you pick business over biology as you will not regret it, less stress for your future sixth former self. Good luck picking your subjects hopefully you take my advice on board:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by frenchie_
I really enjoyed french alevel. i would say you have to be willing to put in the work consistently as its not something you can learn overnight. so if you are a crammer, i wouldnt recommend it. do you think you will be motivated enough to put in the work that is needed? do you have a passion for french? you say you're doing history, so there's no doubt you'll enjoy the historical modules, but is grammar, literature, movie studies etc something you would be interested in?

from what i have seen, for people taking french a level, you either absolutely love it or absolutely hate it. you either love it, because you find it incredibly interesting and are motivated to put in regular work, or you hate it because of the amount of maintenance it requires.

Thank you so much? I’m predicted a grade 6 for GCSE french (even though I think I may be able to get a 7 as i got a grade 8 on my writing assessment, reading is my only problem), do you think that’s good enough?
Reply 4
Original post by sashagrace.x
Biology will stress you the hell out, especially because French and History are subjects that need full attention and are hefty loaded subjects needing hard work. Biology will take a lot of your time and bring you pure agony even if you enjoy it in GCSE. I only advise those that want to go through a science or medical such route to take biology or if they are unsure what they want to do as it opens a lot of doors. However you want to do law so it is completely unnecessary for your future degree as it is a science and law is essay based. Doing law you want to have two facilitating subjects (basically the really difficult and very respected subjects) which is amazing because already French and history are facilitating subjects so you've already checked the box, you don't need biology. Business is not a facilitating subject so you know it will not stress you out and it can be an enjoyable subject that will give you a better chance of getting an A. Not saying that business is easy but it is the least hard subject out of the ones you are thinking about. With doing french, I don't do it but I do know that it looks very good with universities and it seems fun, because hey your step closer to being fluent that's a flex. Anyways I highly suggest you pick business over biology as you will not regret it, less stress for your future sixth former self. Good luck picking your subjects hopefully you take my advice on board:smile:

Thank you so much!! :smile:
To be honest I agree with you a lot, biology is arguably the most difficult subject for me in GCSEs even though it’s really interesting to me as well. However, even though I really think french is very useful and enjoy it a lot, i got really bad in my year 10 mocks (grade 5 overall) however I think I’m improving a lot.
do you know if I’ll be able to pick 4 a levels and then drop one a week in so I can see how all 4 subjects are like?
Thank you so much? I’m predicted a grade 6 for GCSE french (even though I think I may be able to get a 7 as i got a grade 8 on my writing assessment, reading is my only problem), do you think that’s good

as long as you pass GCSE French, i don't think the exact grade matters. It's just matters about how committed you are. For example, a student in my class went from a C in GCSE to an A* at A Level French.
Thank you so much? I’m predicted a grade 6 for GCSE french (even though I think I may be able to get a 7 as i got a grade 8 on my writing assessment, reading is my only problem), do you think that’s good enough?

Admittedly I probably didn't put in enough work, but I got an A* in GCSE French, but only a B in A Level French.
(Disclaimer, A* didn't exist for A Levels back in my day, so the highest available grade was A.)

If you work hard, sure, it's a great subject - but learn from my mistakes... put in the work, no matter which subject you choose.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by frenchie_
as long as you pass GCSE French, i don't think the exact grade matters. It's just matters about how committed you are. For example, a student in my class went from a C in GCSE to an A* at A Level French.

That gives me a lot of hope then, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest