The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by Luna92
Hi, I’ve been a qualified nurse for 7 years in NHS Wales.

I have been successful for an interview invite for a Band 5 post in a Sexual Health Department. (My absolute dream role!) The posts are few and far between and this is my first time applying for this sector.

Just wondering if anyone here is a sexual health nurse & has recently had a post, wondering what questions to expect in the interview? I want to nail it so bad ha!

Many Thanks :smile:

Hi! Did you have your interview? How did it go?

One of the interesting questions I got was: how did you prepare for this interview? Very unusual but smart question! Mine was for HCA so that's as far as I can help :frown:
hope you get it, I can confirm it's an incredible job! it is very interesting!
Original post by Luna92

I have been successful for an interview invite for a Band 5 post in a Sexual Health Department. (My absolute dream role!) The posts are few and far between and this is my first time applying for this sector.

Just wondering if anyone here is a sexual health nurse & has recently had a post, wondering what questions to expect in the interview? I want to nail it so bad ha!

What questions will they ask in a sexual health nurse interview.....

Tell me about yourself...

What do you like most about being a nurse.....

What do you find most difficult about being a nurse........

Why are you leaving your current position........( if you are ).

Why do you want to work here as a sexual health nurse......

What experience have you got (if any) in a nursing sector......

What are your strengths and weaknesses as a nurse.......

How are you as part of a team under pressure......

When I first qualified as a nurse I worked as a sexual health nurse for about a year before doing almost 2 years on infections disease wards and then I applied to be a ICU/ transplant ward nurse and been working in this since as band 7 senior charge nurse.
Reply 3
Original post by miaxmur
Hi! Did you have your interview? How did it go?

One of the interesting questions I got was: how did you prepare for this interview? Very unusual but smart question! Mine was for HCA so that's as far as I can help :frown:
hope you get it, I can confirm it's an incredible job! it is very interesting!

Hello, thank you so much for replying! :smile:

My interview is in the morning ahhhhhh!! Oh that is an interesting question, I’ll be prepared for that one now just in case haha

I’m glad you’re enjoying your role!!

Thank you very much, I have everything crossed! I met up with both the interview panel members last week for an informal visit and tour of the department so I feel much more at ease now :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Allyson2020
What questions will they ask in a sexual health nurse interview.....

Tell me about yourself...

What do you like most about being a nurse.....

What do you find most difficult about being a nurse........

Why are you leaving your current position........( if you are ).

Why do you want to work here as a sexual health nurse......

What experience have you got (if any) in a nursing sector......

What are your strengths and weaknesses as a nurse.......

How are you as part of a team under pressure......

When I first qualified as a nurse I worked as a sexual health nurse for about a year before doing almost 2 years on infections disease wards and then I applied to be a ICU/ transplant ward nurse and been working in this since as band 7 senior charge nurse.thank you very much for

Hi Allyson, thank you very much for the reply and information. I feel so much better as I have covered most of those questions in my interview prep :h: My interview is tomorrow morning, haven’t had one for years and so much more pressure when it’s a role you have wanted for so long!
Did you enjoy sexual health nursing?
Original post by Luna92
Hi Allyson, thank you very much for the reply and information. I feel so much better as I have covered most of those questions in my interview prep :h: My interview is tomorrow morning, haven’t had one for years and so much more pressure when it’s a role you have wanted for so long!
Did you enjoy sexual health nursing?

Hi Luna x

You welcome with my reply as I hope it helped you on this,
Good you have covered most of the questions I gave you as you'll be prepared with things now. 😃
Hoped that by now you got through your interview without any fears and you did well with it.
Yeah I do know the feeling about jobs interviews never mind university ones but they get easier as you do more of them.

You can only do your best at a interview as things are then outwith your control on what happens next like.
You'll soon learn things about the job as training will be provided to you and I hope that you'll enjoy doing this once you get offered the job.

I actually did enjoyed my time as a sexual health nurse as it gave me more insight of things with us woman body as I recently did the 20 months shortened top-up degree course in midwifing and I used my experience from that time as a sexual health nurse to get through the midwifing course.
I haven't yet got a job within midwifing due to the pandemic and being a ICU nurse I was relocated to dealing with covid19 patients plus the fact of the midwifing positions must start at bottom of band 5 payscale which is to me silly with being on band 7.
Reply 6
I got the job! :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile: So happy!! The interview questions were none of what we said really haha only what do you think the job entails. But I worked my ass off with so many different questions so I knew the answers to everything asked. Hopefully I’ll get a start date soon :smile:

I’m doing a women’s health practitioner course at the moment too as I find it interesting. Yeah the pay is a no brainer really for you but it’s what you’re interested in & hopefully you’ll be able to pursue a career as a midwife in the future :smile:
Original post by Luna92
I got the job! :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile: So happy!! The interview questions were none of what we said really haha only what do you think the job entails. But I worked my ass off with so many different questions so I knew the answers to everything asked. Hopefully I’ll get a start date soon :smile:

I’m doing a women’s health practitioner course at the moment too as I find it interesting. Yeah the pay is a no brainer really for you but it’s what you’re interested in & hopefully you’ll be able to pursue a career as a midwife in the future :smile:

Hi

Well done and congratulation on getting this job offer as a sexual health nurse xx😃😃😃

Well that's the thing with interviews - you can prepare yourself learning the questions etc we gave you and then they ask you a completely different set of questions as you found out. ( they do generally change questions at every interview they do just to stop anyone helping anyone else ).

It's good you put lots of effect into this job application and it paid of now for you now after waiting for years to do this job.

Your starting date won't be confirmed till they get a reply back on your DBS checks and then they will sort things out with you.

The job you doing at moment as a woman's health advisor will sort of help you with this new upcoming one.

Yes the money is important as well for me as a band 7 nurse but dropping almost £15k is silly at present but I do have the 3 years before my registration is renew as a midwife to find something or at worst I temporary suspend my registration as a midwife as I think anyone in same situation would do the samething.
I am in middle of trying to do part-time midwifing ( maybe 2 days a week with fixed days ) and then negotiate my adult nurse role to fix days as well as it can be done but obviously must convince my local heathboard hospital about it. Then I can do dual role with working within the NMC guidelines of hours i need to do for each one over the 3 years registration period as you'll know about yourself.

Anyway I hope that you will thoroughly enjoy this new upcoming job as sexual health nurse and you go on and climb the promotion ladder within it over the coming years.

Keep me posted on things okay xx
You are free to PM anytime on things as well if you wish to okay. 😃 💕 x

( Sexual Health Nurse / Adviser dob description ).
If you have the knowledge of sexual health issues and want to use your communication skills to help people maintain good sexual health, this job could be for you.

Sexual health nurse advisers provide information, advice and counselling to patients diagnosed with a sexually transmitted infection (STI). They play a key role in helping the patient understand and manage their condition.

In this job you will need a non-judgemental approach. Your ability to network with a range of public, private and voluntary organisations will also be important.

You will usually need experience in nursing, health visiting, social work or counselling. Some employers may accept you with a degree in a subject such as sociology, health science, public health, health promotion or psychology, if you also have relevant experience in a health care setting.

The work
Sexual health nurse advisers provide information, advice and counselling to patients diagnosed with a sexually transmitted infection (STI). They play a key role in helping the patient understand and manage their condition.

As a sexual health nurse adviser, you would work with individuals and groups affected by sexual health issues in general and STIs (including HIV) in particular. An important part of your work would be to offer advice to help prevent and minimise the risks of infection.

Your exact duties could vary greatly between clinics, but you would typically be involved with:
advising patients on precautions to take with current partners
tracing and contacting previous partners who may have been exposed to the STI
promoting good sexual health practices
counselling patients
teaching and training
carrying out research
compiling local statistics
keeping up to date with the latest health research and policies.
You could also be involved in the national screening programme for chlamydia infection. ) - you'll have had a detail job description with the job application pack to read before you applied.
Original post by Kirst3nj
Hi there! Sorry I’m very late to the conversation, well done for getting the job! I have an interview for the same role and I really want to ace it! Would you mind telling me what the interview was like and what questions were asked? ☺️ thank you in advance!!

Hi

Have a look what I said previously in post#3 for example

Obviously nobody can give you exact answers to what was asked at the interviews.
Hi☺️ I know this was quite a few months back but I’ve got an interview for a HCA in sexual health and I was wondering if you could remember any more of the questions you got? Xx
Original post by Laura__Ann98
Hi☺️ I know this was quite a few months back but I’ve got an interview for a HCA in sexual health and I was wondering if you could remember any more of the questions you got? Xx

@Laura__Ann98. [br] [br] If [b]you look at what I said in post #3 this will help you as every interview questions are different from the previous one as no two interviews are usually same question asked. [br]Hopefully you would have by now the interview for the job.[br][/b]
Congratulations that you got the job. I will like you to help out with useful information as I prepare for my interview for the post of a sexual health nurse. I just got an invite for interview and I need to start preparing. Kindly reach out. Thanks
Original post by Popesade
Congratulations that you got the job. I will like you to help out with useful information as I prepare for my interview for the post of a sexual health nurse. I just got an invite for interview and I need to start preparing. Kindly reach out. Thanks

Questions for your interview is never the same for each interview that they do.

Rough guidance on what entails for the job of sexual health nurse is in my previous posts.

Do your research on the job.
Reply 13
Original post by Luna92

Hi! I know this was a while ago.
Hope you’re well and still loving the role!!

I have an interview in a couple of weeks for a sexual health practitioner role and I’m really nervous! I’m just wondering how to prepare for this very specific role. Any tips? Or question ideas?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Millie129
Hi! I know this was a while ago.
Hope you’re well and still loving the role!!

I have an interview in a couple of weeks for a sexual health practitioner role and I’m really nervous! I’m just wondering how to prepare for this very specific role. Any tips? Or question ideas?

Thank you :smile:

I think if you look back at reply number 2 & also reply number 7 ( bottom half of the reply )you'll see some good points that will be useful for you for your upcoming sexual health practitioner role interview.

Unfortunately nobody can give you precious answers for your interview because each interview is usually different from the one before.

NHS midwife
Reply 15
Original post by Tracey_W
I think if you look back at reply number 2 & also reply number 7 ( bottom half of the reply )you'll see some good points that will be useful for you for your upcoming sexual health practitioner role interview.

Unfortunately nobody can give you precious answers for your interview because each interview is usually different from the one before.

NHS midwife

Thanks!

I’m not looking for precious answers as I’m aware the interview questions will be different. I was just looking for ideas on things to read around as this area is completely new to me.

Latest

Trending

Trending