The Student Room Group

Should I use uni as an excuse to quit my job?

So I'm really hating my job, I'm only working 16 hours a week and they are being very flexible with my Uni, and I know I can't really complain because people work 20 + hours whilst at uni. But I'm just so terrible at the job, I work in a stockroom where I fold clothes and do order picking in an extremely fast pace. I'm just too slow and can never meet their targets. I thought I would have gotten fired already but it seems like this company is so desperate for staff that they literally won't fire me because they would have to hire new staff who would probably end up leaving anyway. But everytime I go into work, I just find it soooo stressful and overhwhelming, i constantly get told off for being too slow and It's just really affecting my mental health...I know using mental health as a weakness sounds like an excuse but it's just seriously making me unhappy. I'm also a 3rd year uni student and I'm thinking that I'm going to quit sometime soon anyway because I'm going to get busy with exams, deadlines and dissertations. I don't need the money because I live at home and have £3000 worth of student finance to live off, I'm only working for the experience and for something to put on my CV. And of course its always nice to have a stable income. But if I leave, id feel guilty because I've only been there for around 5 months which seems too short and its kinda rude leaving after they promised to be flexible with my uni. Also, If i quit now i feel like i'd struggle to get another job after I finish my studies. Anyone have any advice on what I should do ? Thanks.
No need to feel guilty, your studies are more important. You already have the experience to go on your CV. Just hand your notice in and say your studies take precedence. They are used to people doing it and 5 months is a good amount of time tk have worked.
Original post by Hugh's Swan
No need to feel guilty, your studies are more important. You already have the experience to go on your CV. Just hand your notice in and say your studies take precedence. They are used to people doing it and 5 months is a good amount of time to have worked.

I echo this sentiment.
Reply 3
No need to feel guilty, your studies are more important. You already have the experience to go on your CV. Just hand your notice in and say your studies take precedence. They are used to people doing it and 5 months is a good amount of time tk have worked.

But surely they would say something like ur only working 16 hours, 2 days a week, that's nothing. I feel like it would just look bad that I left so early. Also, most students have jobs whilst their at uni so isn't it better to just brave it out and keep it till after i graduate?
Reply 4
What are you studying? 5 months isn't bad! I'd consider doing it until the end of the Christmas holidays and quitting then. It will be a proper job on your CV.
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
What are you studying? 5 months isn't bad! I'd consider doing it until the end of the Christmas holidays and quitting then. It will be a proper job on your CV.

I'm studying Biomedical Science so it's quite a full-on degree. And that's what I was thinking too because they would be desperate for staff during Christmas, so I was thinking of staying till January until I reach 6 months which would look much better surely?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I'm studying Biomedical Science so it's quite a full-on degree. And that's what I was thinking too because they would be desperate for staff during Christmas, so I was thinking of staying till January until I reach 6 months which would look much better surely?

What date did you start?

Biomed is very full on! I think you've done really well to manage the course with the job. But yes - I think 6 months does look stronger.
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
What date did you start?

Biomed is very full on! I think you've done really well to manage the course with the job. But yes - I think 6 months does look stronger.

Thank you but I only started working there in July so I tried to see if I could balance the job with my course and it seems like I am struggling since I didn't do as well as I hoped to in one of my units and I'm struggling to meet deadlines since I'm awful at time management.
Thank you but I only started working there in July so I tried to see if I could balance the job with my course and it seems like I am struggling since I didn't do as well as I hoped to in one of my units and I'm struggling to meet deadlines since I'm awful at time management.

Just hand your notice in and stop agonising - you need to pass your units! warehouse jobs come and go. - but not everyone will be able to do the job you are training for with your degree - get a perspective!
Reply 9
But surely they would say something like ur only working 16 hours, 2 days a week, that's nothing. I feel like it would just look bad that I left so early. Also, most students have jobs whilst their at uni so isn't it better to just brave it out and keep it till after i graduate?

who cares. they would be out of your life at that point.

Id be slow at that type of job too. to be honest they have to push all newer employees to see what you can do. but sometimes jobs with a quota will always ask you to do more. it means they get more money.

longer time periods do look better at times but sometimes a year is prefered. however, education is reasonable on a cv or application as a reason for leaving.

but you are also saying you are struggling with time management. you can get training on this in school
(edited 2 years ago)
5 months? In a years time, you will barely remember this job but your degree would still be your strong asset. Pick the option that ages better for you in the long run.
A part time job is just a pit stop, nothing that requires this level of dedication.

Also, a tip for the future: be more assertive. Never settle for something that isn't worth anything just to appease others. It's basically like letting people walk all over you. You seem very kind but honestly you don't have to be considerate to everyone and everything at the cost of yourself.

when you put dates of employment on your cv if you put July - Dec it will show as 6 months.
second thought. if you want to work somewhere else then look for a job now so you can put present. then you dont have to worry
I don't think I want to work anyhwere atm tbh. I'd rather finish my degree and then look for another job afterwards even if its not related to my field
I don't think I want to work anyhwere atm tbh. I'd rather finish my degree and then look for another job afterwards even if its not related to my field

Yes, just do it! it will be fine. good luck!
Yes, just do it! it will be fine. good luck!

I know this thread is a few days old now but do you know how i would go about doing this? Sorry it's my first ever job so i'm scared to leave, should I just text my manager first and say I'm leaving for uni or do I have to go to her in person and hand my notice. I have to give them 2 weeks notice. I feel scared just telling her straight to her face that i want to quit ....
Not sure but I think it is important to put it in writing with the date of the letter and also you can work out the day that might be your last day so you can ask for confirmation of your last day. So not by text as that doesn't sound official enough. is there an official email to use or maybe write a letter and give it to her on paper. .
Not sure but I think it is important to put it in writing with the date of the letter and also you can work out the day that might be your last day so you can ask for confirmation of your last day. So not by text as that doesn't sound official enough. is there an official email to use or maybe write a letter and give it to her on paper. .

Thanks.... Im going to give it to her on my next shift.... Hopefully its the right decision.... 😌
Original post by EternalKnight_02
I echo this sentiment.

me too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending